U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 05:54 PM

7,020 posts, read 10,120,995 times

Advertisements

Chertoff has instructed the 22 federal agencies that fall under Homeland Security to develop border-violence response plans because the drug war in Mexico appears to be escalating, not ending. So far, more than 5,300 people have been killed across Mexico as rival drug cartels continue to fight over drug trafficking corridors.
One drug corridor at the center of the violence is the Juárez "plaza," where more than 1,600 people were killed last year. In Mexico, "plaza" refers to a drug cartel's territory.
"We completed a contingency plan for border violence, so if we did get a significant spillover, we have a surge
-- if I may use that word -- capability to bring in not only our own assets but even to work with" the Defense Department, Chert off told The New York Times.He did not give details on how, when or where the military might be used.

U.S. ready for Mexico violence - El Paso Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 06:02 PM

3,390 posts, read 3,003,993 times
Default Defending the border is fine, but we do not need to cross into Mexico.

This is just the way I feel about any situation involving our military getting involved in the Mexican drug war. We already have our troops in to many dangerous places and frankly, this is a Mexican problem and the Mexican authorities should handle it. With all of the corporate cash flowing into Mexico they should be more than able to train and arm a formidible fighting force to combat the drug lords.

We have enough problems with our own without adding Mexican affairs. So as long as we keep it on our side of the fence, I am all for our military actually protecting our borders for a change. But there should be absolutely no incursions into Mexico. We simply can't afford to try and police the world all by ourselves. Countries like Mexico and Columbia simply need to step up their efforts to thwart these drug cartels and ferret out the corrupt government officials who make it impossible to properly combat their drug problems.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
This is just the way I feel about any situation involving our military getting involved in the Mexican drug war. We already have our troops in to many dangerous places and frankly, this is a Mexican problem and the Mexican authorities should handle it. With all of the corporate cash flowing into Mexico they should be more than able to train and arm a formidible fighting force to combat the drug lords.

We have enough problems with our own without adding Mexican affairs. So as long as we keep it on our side of the fence, I am all for our military actually protecting our borders for a change. But there should be absolutely no incursions into Mexico. We simply can't afford to try and police the world all by ourselves. Countries like Mexico and Columbia simply need to step up their efforts to thwart these drug cartels and ferret out the corrupt government officials who make it impossible to properly combat their drug problems.
I totally agree. Yesterday our government felt the need to release 99 MILLION more dollars to help mexico fight it's drug war, while negating to acknowledge that their nationals continue to contribute heavily to our tax burden while residing here illegally. When will our government get it through their heads that we cannot save the world? They also need to realize and understand that mexico will never grow up as long as we allow them to remain vampires that perpetually sucks the blood out of the American tax payers for sustenance.

The money being spent on this losing battle should have been spent building a wall around the entire perimeter of our southern border instead of wasting money trying to save the perpetually corrupt wasteland known as mexico.

Great post!

Quote:
US releases $99 million of Mexico anti-drug money
The Associated Press
Wednesday, January 7, 2009; 10:59 PM

MEXICO CITY -- The United States has released another $99 million as part of an aid package to support Mexico's police and soldiers in their fight against drug cartels.
U.S. Ambassador Tony Garza says the funds will help Mexico's military buy aircraft and other equipment to help detect drugs, cash and weapons.
Garza made the announcement Wednesday. He said the equipment will arrive in the fall.
The money comes at a critical time: Mexico's death toll from drug violence soared to more than 5,000 in 2008, and drug-related murders and kidnappings are spilling over the U.S. border as well.

The U.S. released $197 million in December as part of the $1.3 billion U.S. anti-drug package, known as the Merida Initiative.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/07/AR2009010704183.html (broken link)

Last edited by JDubsMom; 01-09-2009 at 06:29 PM..

Old 01-09-2009, 09:29 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,964,240 times
Quote:

American needs to become more involved because a lot of the problem is on our side of the border.

I'm all for not just monitoring what is entering our country, but what is leaving it as well.

Inspections on what's leaving the United States. Stop the American guns from going into Mexico, stop the American drug money from going to Mexico. Cut off their supply line.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:46 AM

21,148 posts, read 37,462,318 times
Default Military could be deployed against cartels if violence spreads into U.S.

Quote:
To date, there has been no significant violent spillover from the drug war in Mexico, but U.S. authorities have spent a tense year watching and waiting.

In October, Hidalgo County officials issued fully automatic weapons to deputies patrolling the river in the Rio Grande Valley. Sheriff Lupe Trevino also authorized his deputies to return fire across the border if smugglers or other criminals took aim at them.
MSNBC News article

Not 'immigration' related per se but this could spiral out of control with Mexico being destroyed by either civil war or direct US involvement if cooler heads do not prevail.

Suffice to say: the USA had best be prepared to care for possibly millions of frightened and injured refugees from SOB.

Not looking good at all.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:57 AM

I posted a similar article a few posts down. See:

U.S. ready for Mexico violence Military would respond to drug war

Obama is set to meet with Calderon in February. I'm sure this will be the topic of discussion.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
I posted a similar article a few posts down. See:

U.S. ready for Mexico violence Military would respond to drug war

Obama is set to meet with Calderon in February. I'm sure this will be the topic of discussion.
My bad; hopefully a Mod will merge the threads.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
My bad; hopefully a Mod will merge the threads.
Actually, they are different sources, each with different commentary. I also think that merging them, as opposed to deleting either is a good idea.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:

You nailed it right there!

If Mexico were truly serious about controlling the growing violence at at home: they would pay their police/judges/military Gringo wages---------that would cut off a significant amount of the problems rith there. Well paid public service agencies typically are less corrupt and tend to attract qualified recruits.

God know the Mx elite has the $$$. It is Mexico's choice.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:01 AM

62 posts, read 124,136 times
Mexico is already controlled by the drug cartels. Violence is on the way up. We should have invaded Mexico not Iraq. Calderon does not care if his country loses 20 million poor people. Their health care system is already in deep trouble as reported last year by the Mexican press. The Mexican Mafia (MM) has already committed kidnappings in this country. Our politicians need to stop listening to the 'poor us' diatribe being delivered by La Raza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or