U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 02:05 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times

Advertisements

Calgon, take me away!

Quote:
PHOENIX -- A loophole in federal law is enabling hundreds of illegal immigrants to live in homes subsidized by U.S. taxpayers, while thousands of others linger on waiting lists to get into those same units.

Those waiting lists are so long that most of them have been frozen for years, meaning people can't even submit an application for public housing. In Arizona, hundreds of those units are occupied by people who aren't even U.S. citizens.

The Salazar family has lived in a four-bedroom Phoenix public housing apartment for the past six years -- all 10 of them.

Their rent is only $150 a month and subsidized by the U.S. government, even though both parents are illegal immigrants from Mexico.
Loophole Angers Illegal Immigration Foes - Phoenix News Story - KPHO Phoenix (http://www.kpho.com/news/18451472/detail.html?rss=pho&psp=news - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 02:09 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Calgon, take me away!

Loophole Angers Illegal Immigration Foes - Phoenix News Story - KPHO Phoenix (http://www.kpho.com/news/18451472/detail.html?rss=pho&psp=news - broken link)
Wow just wow . . . . . there are no words . . .that I can print on this board without getting banned.

Quote:
"There are waiting lists right now with American families trying to get into public housing and they are being turned away because illegal aliens are living in public housing," she said.In Arizona there are 7,000 public housing units, and in Phoenix alone, HUD says there are almost 16,000 families on its waiting list. HUD said statewide 622 units are currently housing illegal immigrants, only 9 percent of its total.Yet it only took CBS 5 News five minutes in one Phoenix project to find two families who fit the bill -- the Salazars, and even their next-door neighbors, illegal immigrants from Guatemala, with three American-born children."Where is INS?" Dallacroce said. "Where is our government? Where are they?"Not one government agency CBS 5 News contacted would go on camera. The Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services declined and said it's not its job to be critical of other federal agencies. And even HUD would only issue a statement via e-mail, saying, "HUD only provides subsidy for individuals with legal status."

Old 01-10-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Untold thousands of illegal immigrants live in public housing at a time when hundreds of thousands of citizens and legal residents are stuck waiting years for a spot.

Illegal immigrants make up a tiny portion of the 7.1 million people in federal housing, according to government statistics. But authorities may be unaware of thousands more, and critics say no illegal immigrant should get housing benefits.

While there are no hard numbers on illegal immigrants in public housing, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development reports that 29,570 people — 0.4% of all those in federally funded housing — are "ineligible noncitizens." Some may be on temporary visas, such as highly educated workers or college students, but many are believed to be illegal immigrants.
Many illegal immigrants live in public housing - USATODAY.com

Old 01-10-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Wow just wow . . . . . there are no words . . .that I can print on this board without getting banned.
I'll have to take a deep breath before I comment, for the same reason you have stated.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:18 PM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,582,143 times
So, for all you pro-illegals out there, please explain to me how this is justifiable?

I'm pretty certain that one of you has at least one good reason...

Old 01-10-2009, 02:31 PM

16,248 posts, read 20,589,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Calgon, take me away!

It does not matter what the status of the parents are. The children are citizens and as such entitled to subsidized housing.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:36 PM

5,963 posts, read 10,494,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
I agree with you. Absolutely amazing this is allowed to happen. It is infurating for the American taxpayer!!

Old 01-10-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
It does not matter what the status of the parents are. The children are citizens and as such entitled to subsidized housing.
And people wonder why the children of illegal aliens are referred to as anchor babies or jackpot babies. These people deliberately give birth in this country to take advantage of subsidized housing, WIC, welfare, and myriad other freebies the taxpayers of this country are forced to provide.

Obviously, you have no problem with this despicable fleecing of our country. This parasitic behavior sickens me beyond decent description.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:55 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,033,451 times
Quote:
I will have to disagree with you on that.

While the children may be US citizens, that fact does not negate their parents criminality. The whole family should be deported. The only thing the children are entitled to is the ability to come back to the US as adults.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:02 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Note the parents can still be deported-----------which in reality would mean the kids would leave the USA as well.

Hmmmmm.............Sheriff Joe will have fun with those insolent losers very soon I bet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or