Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 01:00 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,281,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
There was significantly less poverty and less gangbangers in Miami and Los Angeles back when Anglos still made up the majority of the population in those 2 cities.
Well, crime has dropped in Los Angeles as the Anglo population has continued to decrease. What's that supposed to mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 01:07 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,872,263 times
Being in a family of Brasilian Immigrants, my family assimilated perfectly... but in all reality, I wish they didn't. After moving to Miami, I'm so much more happy in the South American culture than I am in the "American way". I don't understand how you can be so quick to judge a person's IQ based on simply because they immigrate here!

There's nothing wrong with holding on to your culture when you come to the USA, what culture do americans have? Nascar and beer? Hell, the only thing we do is complain about how everyone who has a native language other than English is illegal!

Learn a new language, open your mind to new cultures and you're life will be much happier.

I by no means look Brasilian, so don't think they treat me any differently because I'm brasilian. I look completely anglo, and I learned spanish and portuguese as 2nd and 3rd languages. But when I'm around the latinos, they are so much nicer, open and friendly than any white-dominated city. I think if you'd spend some time around these people with an open mind, you'd see they are some of the best and most loyal people you'll ever meet in your life.

You can't look into the ghettos and blame them for bringing crime, I don't care what race they are be it white, black, asian, mexican, colombian, cuban... chances are if they are in an area with poverty there is going to be crime.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:11 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,962,289 times
Quote:
Well, crime has dropped in Los Angeles as the Anglo population has continued to decrease. What's that supposed to mean?
A few decades ago the MS-13, the Mexican Mafia, and the Surenos for example were practically unheard of. Today there is a gangbanger on every corner in Los Angeles.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:21 AM

Quote:
I by no means look Brasilian, so don't think they treat me any differently because I'm brasilian. I look completely anglo
I know a Brazilian guy in San Jose, California who owns a comida por kilo restaurant as you Brazilians call it, and he too has an Anglo appearence blond hair/blue eyes and a German sounding last name which is Holtz, he looks like the Brazilian version of Doogie Howser. He said he was born in a state called Santa Catarina which is supposed to be the Whitest state in Brazil.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:23 AM

South Brasil is actually home to MANY Germans. But what exactly is your point?

Old 01-12-2009, 01:32 AM

Quote:
South Brasil is actually home to MANY Germans. But what exactly is your point?
That you are not the only Anglo looking Brazilian living in the U.S.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:33 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,281,779 times
Quote:
A few decades ago the MS-13, the Mexican Mafia, and the Surenos for example were practically unheard of. Today there is a gangbanger on every corner in Los Angeles.
And still............crime has dropped, and LA is one of the safest big cities in the country.

Btw, MS-13 was unheard of a few decades ago, because it didn't exist. It started in LA in the 80s.

The Mexican Mafia and Surenos weren't as bad back then because times changed...not the people.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:39 AM

Quote:
That you are not the only Anglo looking Brazilian living in the U.S.
Obviously I'm not, there are many, but I didn't want someone to come back with the comment that I'm only treated well because I "look brasilian"

Old 01-12-2009, 06:18 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,063,514 times
One thing that all of you seem to be overlooking is using just the Italians as an example here: it was quite tough to cross the ocean legally let alone illegally which cut down the number of potential arrivals off the top. Too; once the immigration quotas appeared ca. 1920, many Italians returned to Italy since they could or would not assimilate into American society.

Tow of my G/F's grandparents came from Italy and she does not look stereotypically 'Italian' at all (tall, blonde hair, blue eyes and porcelain white skin--------but her maiden name is indeed Italian)

Old 01-12-2009, 11:50 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,532,515 times
I'm feeling silly today, and I LOVE sarcasm....and this thread caught my eye.

Immigrants in the past had a hard time "flying under the radar", because in those days, neither flying, nor radar, existed. Those who DID arrive met stiff resistance, prejudice, and nativist griping (just as the cartoons show). Even though the majority were LEGAL, they were teased, mocked, and "hazed" as the "new guys". It even caused their KIDS to distance themselves from the parents. A few people even changed their NAMES.

Whatever indignities they endured, these "new (legal) Americans" arrived into an industrial power-house that was CRYING for 'bodies'. Anyone who had two arms and the ability to breathe, could easily find a job...and with a lot of 'pluck', that job would support a family. Picks and shovels were the 'high tech' instruments that 'ran the economy'....and you didn't need English to dig a ditch, or pound railroad spikes, or shovel coal.

Today, we live in a 'high-tech' society. We can't even put our OWN high-school dropouts to work...or even our High-School graduates. There's little future, then, for a foreign arrival who has no English skills, nothing to offer a "high-tech" economy, and several kids to support. Yet when such a guy 'founders' and can't "make it", we cry "FOUL"....and we figure it MUST be because we "hate immigrants"....or because we "don't care about them"....or we're "racists".

The early immigrants who arrived 100 years ago "got in on the ground floor". They arrived as unskilled, unloved, unwanted "bodies", back at a time when there was a MARKET for such people, and when there was very little notion of anything "owed" to them by society. The idea was, they owed US....and should be happy to be here. Not EXACTLY the same situation as today...right?

Thanks for the sarcasm...I LIKE sarcasm, and some of the nicest people I know are "mean old grumps".

MORE sarcasm, PLEASE !!!

***Footnote, (non-sarcastic): MUCH of the resistance seen today regarding the plight of Hispanics is related to the HUGE problem of illegal immigration, and the huge percentage of Hispanics among illegals, and the Hispanic-illegal habit of "pushing" their agenda into the public eye (unlike others who keep silent)....THAT is the main problem, not their "Hispanicness". But that's probably not a very 'fun' subject to discuss...right?.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration