Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 08:12 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
I don't think that Mexican culture is really to blame for the situation, it is more a combination of higher wages in the USA, which become even higher then the remittances are sent, and corruption.

IMHO the blame of this whole problem is due to the codependent relationship that has been stablished among illegal immigrants and their enablers, unfortunately most people just blame the illegal immigrants or assume that Mexican culture is one of corruption and crime, which is false and very unfair.

But honestly, if you are an illegal immigrant in any other country in the world, you are illegal, which means that you can't open a bank account, buy a house on credit, have a drivers license, etc. But you can do it in the USA.

No other country in the world offers welfare and handouts to it's illegal population.

No other country of the world have politicians pandering to illegal immigrants and promising them things that can't be fulfilled.

so IMHO this problem has nothing to do with Mexican culture or American culture either, it has to do with the culture of corruption, hippocrisy, double standards and greed.

And unfortunately this culture has created a huge misunderstanding of what Mexican culture really is, or what Mexico is really like, many people imagine that Mexico is a country run by elites who will anyone who disagrees with them, without any possibility of social mobility or opportunities, and a lot of things that are ver far from the real situation here.

This culture has also given us wars, millions of human suffering, the economic crisis we are currently facing and many other things.

OUCH !!!! That's going to HURT !....But thanks for the BRUTALLY honest post...I can say it, but it means more coming from you.... A VERY even-handed comment on a VERY emotional subject.....again, thanks. LOTS of smoldering resentment on BOTH sides of the issue makes a true understanding very very difficult...but this certainly helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 03:25 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Just kidding with the title, eh.
The United States is the most powerful, and one of the richest countries in the world.

What if a country like South Africa, China, or Korea was to our south instead of Mexico?
Interesting that the more we DIFFER, the more we sound alike. Your above idea has been used SEVERAL times, by several "thinkers", and I know at least one of them was a Mexican writer. Their hypothetical question was nearly the mirror image of YOURS....and it went something like this:

"What if, tomorrow, Mexico woke up to find itself sharing a long land border not with the United States, but with China? or Russia? or Bangladesh?"

Each of these writers then went on to postulate all SORTS of possible scenarios...from violent and bloody revolution in Mexico by the 'landless poor' who now could NOT leave for 'greener pastures'....All the way up to the Mexican government, and the upper class, simply "cleaning up their act" and bringing the poor into the 'bosom' of Mexican society.

What if the US bordered on a POORER country than Mexico? What if Mexico bordered on a less 'welcoming' country than the US?

I don't know....what if?

PS....I see that "Traveling Fella's" above post has so far been answered with a DEAFENING silence....certainly not because it's 'anti-Mexican', obviously....but for SOME reason, he's just not getting much feedback.

That's a pity, because it was a VERY penetrating post....from quite a novel perspective (i.e., from within Mexico itself)...

Maybe he's 'telling us what we don't want to hear'....(?)

Old 01-13-2009, 07:19 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,407,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Interesting that the more we DIFFER, the more we sound alike. Your above idea has been used SEVERAL times, by several "thinkers", and I know at least one of them was a Mexican writer. Their hypothetical question was nearly the mirror image of YOURS....and it went something like this:

"What if, tomorrow, Mexico woke up to find itself sharing a long land border not with the United States, but with China? or Russia? or Bangladesh?"

Each of these writers then went on to postulate all SORTS of possible scenarios...from violent and bloody revolution in Mexico by the 'landless poor' who now could NOT leave for 'greener pastures'....All the way up to the Mexican government, and the upper class, simply "cleaning up their act" and bringing the poor into the 'bosom' of Mexican society.

What if the US bordered on a POORER country than Mexico? What if Mexico bordered on a less 'welcoming' country than the US?

I don't know....what if?

PS....I see that "Traveling Fella's" above post has so far been answered with a DEAFENING silence....certainly not because it's 'anti-Mexican', obviously....but for SOME reason, he's just not getting much feedback.

That's a pity, because it was a VERY penetrating post....from quite a novel perspective (i.e., from within Mexico itself)...

Maybe he's 'telling us what we don't want to hear'....(?)
That's because DESPITE sharing an ethnicity and nationalism with the majority of those here illegally, he IS educated, intelligent, articulate and NOT a racist with tunnel vision. He is an honest and candid man who has no problem with reality. Therein lies the difference.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:03 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,559,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
That's because DESPITE sharing an ethnicity and nationalism with the majority of those here illegally, he IS educated, intelligent, articulate and NOT a racist with tunnel vision. He is an honest and candid man who has no problem with reality. Therein lies the difference.
Absolutely! Furthermore, pro-illegal posters on this forum remain silent in response to his posts, because they know how utterly foolish they would look if they attempted to paint him with the anti-Mexican brush.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:24 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,851,013 times
Illegal immigrants are illegal no matter where they come from. Send them all back home where they belong. Their country of origin does not matter...

Old 01-14-2009, 07:37 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,435,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
*blushes* thank you! I'm just a normal human being with good and bad things like everybody else, and I do have a problem with reality LOL. I believe that we human beings could do much better! unfortunately, most of the time we have chosen not to.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:45 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
I don't think that Mexican culture is really to blame for the situation, it is more a combination of higher wages in the USA, which become even higher then the remittances are sent, and corruption.

IMHO the blame of this whole problem is due to the codependent relationship that has been stablished among illegal immigrants and their enablers, unfortunately most people just blame the illegal immigrants or assume that Mexican culture is one of corruption and crime, which is false and very unfair.

But honestly, if you are an illegal immigrant in any other country in the world, you are illegal, which means that you can't open a bank account, buy a house on credit, have a drivers license, etc. But you can do it in the USA.

No other country in the world offers welfare and handouts to it's illegal population.

No other country of the world have politicians pandering to illegal immigrants and promising them things that can't be fulfilled.

so IMHO this problem has nothing to do with Mexican culture or American culture either, it has to do with the culture of corruption, hippocrisy, double standards and greed.

And unfortunately this culture has created a huge misunderstanding of what Mexican culture really is, or what Mexico is really like, many people imagine that Mexico is a country run by elites who will anyone who disagrees with them, without any possibility of social mobility or opportunities, and a lot of things that are ver far from the real situation here.

This culture has also given us wars, millions of human suffering, the economic crisis we are currently facing and many other things.

Well said brother. Probably the most sane post I've seen on this topic in a long time.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:50 AM

4,829 posts, read 7,747,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Absolutely! Furthermore, pro-illegal posters on this forum remain silent in response to his posts, because they know how utterly foolish they would look if they attempted to paint him with the anti-Mexican brush.
Nothing he wrote in his post was anti-mexican, maybe you should read it again.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:04 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,559,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Nothing he wrote in his post was anti-mexican, maybe you should read it again.
The mere fact that he opposes illegal immigration has qualified 'others' as being anti-Mexican, or anti-Hispanic. Did I miss the memo changing this sentiment?

Old 01-14-2009, 08:10 AM

4,829 posts, read 7,747,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
The mere fact that he opposes illegal immigration has qualified 'others' as being anti-Mexican, or anti-Hispanic. Did I miss the memo changing this sentiment?
You are getting it all wrong, let's take synopsis for example...even though he is very anti-illegal, i have never seen him say or write anything that is anti-hispanic or anti-mexican. I can't say that for the majority of posters who regularly post here though. You can be anti-illegal without bashing hispanics or the latino culture, but most find it hard to do so on this forum IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration