U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 07:02 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,402,860 times

Advertisements

once you have lost the ability and power to enforce your own immigration laws, who speaks what where and when becomes a mute point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 07:07 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
once you have lost the ability and power to enforce your own immigration laws, who speaks what where and when becomes a mute point.
Huckleberry, in your own inimitable 'spartan' style, you've hit upon a profound truth....the Third World is a BIG place...and NOBODY likes a "wimp". If you don't respect yourself, there's not much chance anybody ELSE will, either.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:19 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
The rule of thumb has been second generation.

We came to the United States from Germany when I was a very young child. My father was American and my mother German. She spoke about three words of English. On her own, she learned to speak in English and learned to write in English. No classes. No special anything. My mom was already in her early 40's when she did this. At the time, I thought that was the norm. I wish she were here today so that I could tell her how proud I was that she accomplished this and so much more.

My mother was motivated; she knew she had little to no choice, because we lived in an English speaking neighborhood where anyone of German heritage (that was in the 50's) was possibly a Nazi.
Congratulations to your Mom. She had every reason to assume that "that was the norm"....back then, it WAS the norm....and she "survived", right?

Good for her.....

Old 01-13-2009, 07:39 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
there are some that might be ungrateful, but the vast majority of individuals do not fall under these categories. law breakers? sure. entitled, hardly. fouling the hispanic image? olny to bigots who lump all brown colored people together.

but this board is full of generalizations. the majority of illegals i have encountered are pretty humble people.

the mexicaa flag waving, food stamp collecting, spit in your face for not knowing spanish illegal is an anomoly. its the outlier. but it apparently has become the posterboy boogeyman for the anti-illegal folks.

its still unfounded.
Brown colored people? C’mon….you have come unhinged. I AM brown, and at one time I was also considered “colored.” It is NOT bigotry to oppose illegal immigration; and no matter how hard you try to make this an issue of race, you continue to fail miserably. I would have to hate myself to hate “brown” people; and I assure you, I’m not into self-loathing. I would also have to hate many of my relatives. This is by far one of the most outlandish posts you have made.

While I’m sure you know substantially more illegals than I will ever encounter, the behaviors I have witnessed contradict your assertion. If they’re so humble and appreciative, they would count their many blessings, apologize for their lawlessness and abuse of taxpayers, and expeditiously exit this country. No, not only are they NOT humble and NOT appreciative, they are also audacious enough to REFUSE to leave.

Illegal alien arrogance is as much an anomaly as hookers at a ‘red light’ convention.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:05 AM

32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
there are some that might be ungrateful, but the vast majority of individuals do not fall under these categories. law breakers? sure. entitled, hardly. fouling the hispanic image? olny to bigots who lump all brown colored people together.

but this board is full of generalizations. the majority of illegals i have encountered are pretty humble people.

the mexicaa flag waving, food stamp collecting, spit in your face for not knowing spanish illegal is an anomoly. its the outlier. but it apparently has become the posterboy boogeyman for the anti-illegal folks.

its still unfounded.
Then you missed some very large parades on "day without an immigrant" day. All the boisterous, Mexican flag wavers you'd ever want.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:48 AM

21,026 posts, read 15,233,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Then you missed some very large parades on "day without an immigrant" day. All the boisterous, Mexican flag wavers you'd ever want.

Sort of like all the Italian flags on Columbus Day? Or Irish flags on St. Patrick's Day?

Folks, it was ever thus. I grew up in Greenwich Village in NYC. I had several friends who, even at late as the early 1970s, had grand-parents who spoke no English, none whatsoever, and I assure you, they were not recent arrivals.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:14 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,033,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Sort of like all the Italian flags on Columbus Day? Or Irish flags on St. Patrick's Day?

Folks, it was ever thus. I grew up in Greenwich Village in NYC. I had several friends who, even at late as the early 1970s, had grand-parents who spoke no English, none whatsoever, and I assure you, they were not recent arrivals.
Speaking for the Irish -- their only intent on St Patricks day is to get completely sh*tfaced. Maybe eat a little corned beef and cabbage, but mainly to drink a lot of green beer.
Trust, they are not out there on March 17 demanding rights from a government not their own, and they are not flying the US flag upside down or beneath the Irish one, they are not chanting 'Yes We Can!' in defiance to immigration laws.
Day without an immigrant was a manifesto at work -- one that said the predominantly Mexican illegal immigrant was here to stay, and we (the US) as a nation and as a culture needed to grant them all rights of citizenship due to their 'squatters rights'.
The Irish merely want to get drunk

Old 01-14-2009, 10:52 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,898,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
You continue to ignore the obvious: Spanish-speaking “immigrants” of today are quite a contrast from previous immigrants. First, and foremost, they have no ‘desire’ to assimilate. Moreover, the growth of the Hispanic population in this country undeniably correlates to the massive growth of Hispanic illegal aliens and their US-born offspring. Deny it if you wish; it’s a fact. To their detriment, they have been indoctrinated with a delusional sense of entitlement, which precludes the need for assimilation.

The ‘new’ Spanish-speaking “immigrants” are here for one reason -- to get what they can. They are not here to become a member of the melting pot, or to embrace the “American” culture. They are certainly not here for the betterment of our society; nor do they have aspirations to ‘give back’ even a minute portion of that which they have undeservedly received.

Yes, they want and DEMAND a piece of the pie and the coveted “American Dream.” However, they do not feel beholden to learn English, or to abide by our laws; in part due to their disdain and unmitigated lack of respect for our country. Sadly, our government has facilitated and reinforced this mindset by accommodating them in every conceivable fashion, notwithstanding their illegal status.

No other group has been coddled to the extent of our current illegal aliens. More importantly, no other “immigrants” have so obscenely abused the taxpayers of this country. In spite of taxpayer generosity, and the pandering of our government, businesses, and special interest groups, most Spanish-speaking illegal aliens fail to show a modicum of appreciation, let alone humility. Their arrogance is pervasive and unprecedented.

I really don’t know how many ways we must elucidate this dichotomy for you to finally “get it.” Nor do I know how many threads you will feel compelled to start to discuss this topic. I sincerely hope you will soon receive the response you so fervently seek.

You're being naive if you think everyone came here to be an American. Or that they didn't come here to "get what they could". That's why they made their neighborhoods Little Italys, Chinatowns, Koreantowns, Little Odessas. Or they made communities that could rely on German.

The previous immigrants didn't have as many programs to abuse as the current Mexicans, Chinese, Koreans, Russians, other Europeans, etc.

Maybe I "get it", it being your point. But maybe I still don't agree with you.

Quote:
Moreover, the growth of the Hispanic population in this country undeniably correlates to the massive growth of Hispanic illegal aliens and their US-born(and U.S. Citizen, assimilated) offspring.
So down the road, we're going to have a lot of U.S. citizens of Hispanic descent. I have no problem with it. I'm Hispanic-American and don't feel weird or anything. I feel almost like "normal Americans". (shrugs).
Is a majority Latino population in the United States really that scary to you guys?
Forget that 99% of them are descended from illegals or whatever the latest propaganda is, but down the road, as assimilated Americans, is that a really bad thing?

Old 01-15-2009, 09:34 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
You're being naive if you think everyone came here to be an American. Or that they didn't come here to "get what they could". That's why they made their neighborhoods Little Italys, Chinatowns, Koreantowns, Little Odessas. Or they made communities that could rely on German.

The previous immigrants didn't have as many programs to abuse as the current Mexicans, Chinese, Koreans, Russians, other Europeans, etc.

Maybe I "get it", it being your point. But maybe I still don't agree with you.

So down the road, we're going to have a lot of U.S. citizens of Hispanic descent. I have no problem with it. I'm Hispanic-American and don't feel weird or anything. I feel almost like "normal Americans". (shrugs).
Is a majority Latino population in the United States really that scary to you guys?
Forget that 99% of them are descended from illegals or whatever the latest propaganda is, but down the road, as assimilated Americans, is that a really bad thing?
Oh please, not the “scary” mantra again. I have no reason to fear Hispanics. As a matter of fact, I lived with one intimately for many years…..never a “scary” moment. I also have a son who is ‘viewed’ as being Hispanic, and I couldn’t possibly love him more. Admittedly, there are times when he gets on my nerves, but he has never “scared” me (other than in jest). You are ascribing this nonsense to the wrong person.

You have every right to disagree with my post. You even have a right not to “get it.” However, if you can’t comprehend the difference between a legal immigrant and an illegal alien, I can’t help you. Legal immigrants have a ‘right’ to expect a piece of the pie; illegal aliens have a ‘right’ to NOTHING. Herein lies the difference.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:39 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,898,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post

Really? I thought only the Mexicans had ethnic pride?

whaaaaaa!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration