Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 02:11 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
You continue to ignore the obvious: Spanish-speaking “immigrants” of today are quite a contrast from previous immigrants. First, and foremost, they have no ‘desire’ to assimilate. Moreover, the growth of the Hispanic population in this country undeniably correlates to the massive growth of Hispanic illegal aliens and their US-born offspring. Deny it if you wish; it’s a fact. To their detriment, they have been indoctrinated with a delusional sense of entitlement, which precludes the need for assimilation.

The ‘new’ Spanish-speaking “immigrants” are here for one reason -- to get what they can. They are not here to become a member of the melting pot, or to embrace the “American” culture. They are certainly not here for the betterment of our society; nor do they have aspirations to ‘give back’ even a minute portion of that which they have undeservedly received.

Yes, they want and DEMAND a piece of the pie and the coveted “American Dream.” However, they do not feel beholden to learn English, or to abide by our laws; in part due to their disdain and unmitigated lack of respect for our country. Sadly, our government has facilitated and reinforced this mindset by accommodating them in every conceivable fashion, notwithstanding their illegal status.

No other group has been coddled to the extent of our current illegal aliens. More importantly, no other “immigrants” have so obscenely abused the taxpayers of this country. In spite of taxpayer generosity, and the pandering of our government, businesses, and special interest groups, most Spanish-speaking illegal aliens fail to show a modicum of appreciation, let alone humility. Their arrogance is pervasive and unprecedented.

I really don’t know how many ways we must elucidate this dichotomy for you to finally “get it.” Nor do I know how many threads you will feel compelled to start to discuss this topic. I sincerely hope you will soon receive the response you so fervently seek.
Using Elisabeth Kubler-Ross's On death and dying; the pro illegal fans and DREAMies are still in denial and starting to cross into 'anger'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 02:14 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,365,577 times
The ‘new’ Spanish-speaking “immigrants” are here for one reason -- to get what they can. They are not here to become a member of the melting pot, or to embrace the “American” culture. They are certainly not here for the betterment of our society; nor do they have aspirations to ‘give back’ even a minute portion of that which they have undeservedly received.

Yes, they want and DEMAND a piece of the pie

Truer words never spoken. And I have never encountered any other foreigner/immigrant who would berate and yell at you for not speaking their language in this country. I have met countless spanish speaking illegals (and legals) who demand that you do and who treat you rudely if you don't.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:41 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
no, german was spoken freely in the movie and no translation was offered. watch it and see. town without pity. you might catch it on TCM.

and other movies do exist where german was used freely as well. it happened. i was just as suprised as anyone to encounter this. but im sure it refelcted the demographics of the time.

it existed.
it really happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Oh, come on! German was not the unofficial second language of the United States at the time of WWII. There was no assumptions made that all Americans could at least understand some German because it was so prominently spoken.
As far as the movie "Town Without Pity" goes, it took place in post WWII Germany -- of course there would be German spoken! If there weren't subtitles during those parts, then I would bet that another actor had the role of 'translator' for the natives. But to try to assert that Hollywood made movies in German for US release with no subtitles because all of the populace at that time had more then a passing familiarity with the language is a load of bs. Name some more movies with German 'liberally' used without any translation at all. No subtitles, no actor explaining what was said, nothing.
As to this swarm of Germans that can only speak German -- maybe you are thinking of the Amish? Huddinites? Mennonites?

Old 01-13-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
You continue to ignore the obvious: Spanish-speaking “immigrants” of today are quite a contrast from previous immigrants. First, and foremost, they have no ‘desire’ to assimilate. Moreover, the growth of the Hispanic population in this country undeniably correlates to the massive growth of Hispanic illegal aliens and their US-born offspring. Deny it if you wish; it’s a fact. To their detriment, they have been indoctrinated with a delusional sense of entitlement, which precludes the need for assimilation.

such gross generalizations. i didnt expect that from you. jdm maybe, not you.

very sad. im sure the 'new' spanish speaking immigrants you know might take offense to your statements.

besides articles have been provided in this same forum that debunk your myth that immigrants dont learn english.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:58 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:

Yes, they want and DEMAND a piece of the pie and the coveted “American Dream.” However, they do not feel beholden to learn English, or to abide by our laws; in part due to their disdain and unmitigated lack of respect for our country. Sadly, our government has facilitated and reinforced this mindset by accommodating them in every conceivable fashion, notwithstanding their illegal status.

No other group has been coddled to the extent of our current illegal aliens. More importantly, no other “immigrants” have so obscenely abused the taxpayers of this country. In spite of taxpayer generosity, and the pandering of our government, businesses, and special interest groups, most Spanish-speaking illegal aliens fail to show a modicum of appreciation, let alone humility. Their arrogance is pervasive and unprecedented.

I really don’t know how many ways we must elucidate this dichotomy for you to finally “get it.” Nor do I know how many threads you will feel compelled to start to discuss this topic. I sincerely hope you will soon receive the response you so fervently seek.
PRICELESS...Classic....Speaks for itself....

Old 01-13-2009, 03:04 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,374,223 times
The rule of thumb has been second generation.

We came to the United States from Germany when I was a very young child. My father was American and my mother German. She spoke about three words of English. On her own, she learned to speak in English and learned to write in English. No classes. No special anything. My mom was already in her early 40's when she did this. At the time, I thought that was the norm. I wish she were here today so that I could tell her how proud I was that she accomplished this and so much more.

My mother was motivated; she knew she had little to no choice, because we lived in an English speaking neighborhood where anyone of German heritage (that was in the 50's) was possibly a Nazi.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
such gross generalizations. i didnt expect that from you. jdm maybe, not you.

very sad. im sure the 'new' spanish speaking immigrants you know might take offense to your statements.

besides articles have been provided in this same forum that debunk your myth that immigrants dont learn english.
OK, forget the "don't learn English".....that's side issue, not always true, and not confined to illegals.

How about "SENSE of ENTITLEMENT"?...."DISREGARD for the LAW?"....."DISRESPECTFUL to the HOST COUNTRY"?...."UNGRATEFUL"?....."FOULING the image of ALL Hispanics by association, and then crying 'RACIST' ?"....

If you don't want to discuss 'Failure to learn English', I invite you to discuss any of the ABOVE topics....topics not connected with immigrants, OR Hispanics, OR Mexican culture, but confined SOLELY to the subjevt of Illegal immigrants in the United States...

Old 01-13-2009, 06:13 PM

there are some that might be ungrateful, but the vast majority of individuals do not fall under these categories. law breakers? sure. entitled, hardly. fouling the hispanic image? olny to bigots who lump all brown colored people together.

but this board is full of generalizations. the majority of illegals i have encountered are pretty humble people.

the mexicaa flag waving, food stamp collecting, spit in your face for not knowing spanish illegal is an anomoly. its the outlier. but it apparently has become the posterboy boogeyman for the anti-illegal folks.

its still unfounded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
OK, forget the "don't learn English".....that's side issue, not always true, and not confined to illegals.

How about "SENSE of ENTITLEMENT"?...."DISREGARD for the LAW?"....."DISRESPECTFUL to the HOST COUNTRY"?...."UNGRATEFUL"?....."FOULING the image of ALL Hispanics by association, and then crying 'RACIST' ?"....

If you don't want to discuss 'Failure to learn English', I invite you to discuss any of the ABOVE topics....topics not connected with immigrants, OR Hispanics, OR Mexican culture, but confined SOLELY to the subjevt of Illegal immigrants in the United States...

Old 01-13-2009, 06:40 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
there are some that might be ungrateful, but the vast majority of individuals do not fall under these categories. law breakers? sure. entitled, hardly. fouling the hispanic image? olny to bigots who lump all brown colored people together.

but this board is full of generalizations. the majority of illegals i have encountered are pretty humble people.

the mexicaa flag waving, food stamp collecting, spit in your face for not knowing spanish illegal is an anomoly. its the outlier. but it apparently has become the posterboy boogeyman for the anti-illegal folks.

its still unfounded.
All the more reasons for so-called Hispanic Americans to turn against the illegal aliens (Latino or otherwise) and help cast them out.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:58 PM

Default Opinions

Quote:

Not always....I have brown family members....they don't lump themselves in with illegals...NOR are they bigots...

True...ALL of us use generalizations..unless we've personally met, what else do you suggest?.I. too have known plenty of 'nice' illegals...back before the current mess. But that was THEN....

True...it has become the "poster boy". It ALSO turned the public's attention to illegals, including people who FORMERLY never had much opinion one way or another...

its still unfounded.

"Unfounded".?....that's a matter of opinion. What attitude toward illegals is "founded", in your opinion?...

MY opinions, you understand
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration