U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 10:14 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,617,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Don't be ignorant.. She has even accused me of being an illegal. A person that is 100% more American then she is. Of course she would not agree because I go against what she believes...like her believes are what all Americans should believe.
I haven't kept up with this thread....and I'm sure you're an American, (although I'm not sure you're '100% more American than anyone else).

Not attacking you here, I only feel the need to point out that no 'rational' person says that "all Americans should 'believe' anything"....What most of us DO say is that "all Americans, particularly since we have no required beliefs, DO have to BEHAVE in certain ways"....and one thing all Americans are SUPPOSED to do is obey the law.

Illegal immigrants are a direct example of a large group of people who AREN'T obeying the law. Since they've now come to the attention of the public, they get lots of notice....but this notice is not due to race or ethnicity, it's due to 'behavior'...(i.e., being in the country illegally).

There is NO group of lawbreakers who are 'approved' by the American public...gangbangers, drunk drivers, crooked politicians, dishonest CEO's..ALL of these people suffer the 'scorn' of society. Illegals have just made themselves more 'visible' than most other lawbreakers....so they get the most attention.

There are racists in the picture, of course...on BOTH sides of the argument. But 'race' isn't the issue...the issue is illegality. The "Law" is really the only thing holding American society together. Without that strong social pressure to obey the law, we'd rapidly fall apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 10:14 AM

32,800 posts, read 30,052,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
What? I know you aren't back peddaling because you are expecting sympathy from either one of us popsicles. If so, I rescind all sympathy on behalf of Benicar and myself.

Speakin of peddle, I gotta go for a bike ride

mmm popsicles

Old 01-17-2009, 10:17 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,816,809 times
Quote:
What? I know you aren't back peddaling because you are expecting sympathy from either one of us popsicles. If so, I rescind all sympathy on behalf of Benicar and myself.
Thank you! Not to add insult to injury, but I dare say.....you are frozen popsicle, and I am frozen custard.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:21 AM

7,020 posts, read 9,898,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Thank you! Not to add insult to injury, but I dare say.....you are frozen popsicle, and I am frozen custard.
I stand corrected. Thanks for that clarification.

1Angry, here's hoping you fall off of your bike and skin your knee.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:23 AM

32,800 posts, read 30,052,880 times
Quote:
I stand corrected. Thanks for that clarification.

1Angry, here's hoping you fall off of your bike and skin your knee.

I posted before it gets ganked

I still have to cross Illegal Immigrant row where the signs and lights are completely ignored because
a. they can't read English
b. choose to ignore all signage and lights. It's like Beirut.

Like the governator says, "I'll be back!"

Old 01-17-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I haven't kept up with this thread....and I'm sure you're an American, (although I'm not sure you're '100% more American than anyone else).

Not attacking you here, I only feel the need to point out that no 'rational' person says that "all Americans should 'believe' anything"....What most of us DO say is that "all Americans, particularly since we have no required beliefs, DO have to BEHAVE in certain ways"....and one thing all Americans are SUPPOSED to do is obey the law.

Illegal immigrants are a direct example of a large group of people who AREN'T obeying the law. Since they've now come to the attention of the public, they get lots of notice....but this notice is not due to race or ethnicity, it's due to 'behavior'...(i.e., being in the country illegally).

There is NO group of lawbreakers who are 'approved' by the American public...gangbangers, drunk drivers, crooked politicians, dishonest CEO's..ALL of these people suffer the 'scorn' of society. Illegals have just made themselves more 'visible' than most other lawbreakers....so they get the most attention.

There are racists in the picture, of course...on BOTH sides of the argument. But 'race' isn't the issue...the issue is illegality. The "Law" is really the only thing holding American society together. Without that strong social pressure to obey the law, we'd rapidly fall apart.
True to form, another excellent post!

Old 01-17-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I posted before it gets ganked

I still have to cross Illegal Immigrant row where the signs and lights are completely ignored because
a. they can't read English
b. choose to ignore all signage and lights. It's like Beirut.

Like the governator says, "I'll be back!"
We'll be waiting. Enjoy the sunshine, warm temps and your bike ride.

Topic: Hey Benicar , any citings of mexican flags being waived in your neck of the woods as it gets closer to inauguration day?

Old 01-17-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
We'll be waiting. Enjoy the sunshine, warm temps and your bike ride.

Topic: Hey Benicar , any citings of mexican flags being waived in your neck of the woods as it gets closer to inauguration day?
Not yet. I was downtown yesterday, and all I saw were Donís Johns. It was kind of creepy.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Not yet. I was downtown yesterday, and all I saw were Donís Johns. It was kind of creepy.

Please expound. . thank you in advance.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:42 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,617,384 times
Quote:
True to form, another excellent post!
Thanks. In my haste to finish up and get to my outside 'chores', I neglected to mention the ONE group of lawbreakers who suffer even MORE scorn than illegals...and that is "recalcitrant and defiant midwestern State Governors"
This group is actually MORE vilified than illegals, and suffers worse public stigma. The only thing going for it is that it's an EXTREMELY small group. But still, we're mad at these 'rogue governors' because they're crooks, not because they have multi-syllabic Serbian names. It's behavior, not ethnicity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration