Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 08:28 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times

Advertisements

An opportunity for Mexico's poor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 09:21 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
President Calderón should establish a firm commitment that the federal budget in Mexico will not reduce the appropriations for poverty relief. In exchange, the Obama administration should supplement the aid given for security with a social transfer that may take various forms, including soft loans or an outright social fund.Collaboration in the social arena would quickly pay dividends on the other fronts of the bilateral agenda, such as immigration or security. A Mexico without poverty is in the best interests of the United States.
No, a U.S. without poverty is in the best interest of the United States.

Incredible! So the current economic woes of Mexico impede the migration of its citizens to the land of milk and honey; and their middle class is shrinking. I guess they have forgotten the U.S. economy isn’t exactly booming; and the illegal employment of their citizens in our country is a major causal factor in our declining middle class. Talk about gall.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:33 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Memo to Mexico: grow up!

If Spain was able to buck up and take responsibility for itself: why not Mexico? Are they not both 'Hispanic'?

Old 01-16-2009, 10:20 AM

200 posts, read 349,794 times
It's not Our Problem that the Mexican government hords the money and doesn't give any to it's people. Half of the Welfare rolls in America are illegal aliens from Mexico, how much more help do they want. I think we should send our Military in and just take over the country. Throw the Mexican Powers to be out of power and call their country the "South United States of America."

Old 01-16-2009, 12:35 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
what the hell does spain have to do with anything? spain was a european colonial power, proud to say that the sun never set on spanish land.

how did spain "buck up"? and if you really think spain and mexico are similar, then you are really uneducated.

different histories. different economies. different ideologies.

no comparison. but i would be glad to entertain your thoughts on this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Memo to Mexico: grow up!

If Spain was able to buck up and take responsibility for itself: why not Mexico? Are they not both 'Hispanic'?

Old 01-16-2009, 01:53 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,106,636 times
Mexico has some very wealthy families, with Carlos Slim now the second richest person in the world. At least ten others in Mexico are billionaires. They have the highest GDP in Latin America, including Brazil. This in a country that has an average daily wage of about $400. Mexico has a majority of its wealth concentrated in a very small upper-class, with a small and shrinking middle-class. The majority are poor and sinking lower every year . Why, you ask? Well, it’s the same old story. The rich don’t want to invest, to pay taxes, to fund the programs that help to build a middle-class….good schools, health care, transportation corridors, a living minimum wage…the list is long. The wealthy control the politicians who write the laws and they don’t want to tax themselves. That’s the simple story.

Mexico Premiere - Taxes in Mexico

Old 01-16-2009, 01:57 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
what the hell does spain have to do with anything? spain was a european colonial power, proud to say that the sun never set on spanish land.

how did spain "buck up"? and if you really think spain and mexico are similar, then you are really uneducated.

different histories. different economies. different ideologies.

no comparison. but i would be glad to entertain your thoughts on this...
Considering that Mexicans tend to self identify as 'Hispanic'; and Mexicans also count Spaniards as Hispanic as well----------why not emulate Spain's present (successful) culture vs. that archaic version that Mexico clings to?

Again: Mexico needs to grow up.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:08 PM

62 posts, read 140,182 times
My daughter-in-law in from Spain and she would vastly disagree that she is Hispanic.

To want the U.S. to subsidize the poverty stricken Mexican population for purposes of coming north is outrageous.

It is really incredible that some people believe they are entitled to $$$$ from U.S. citizens.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:49 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,409,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
No, a U.S. without poverty is in the best interest of the United States.

Incredible! So the current economic woes of Mexico impede the migration of its citizens to the land of milk and honey; and their middle class is shrinking. I guess they have forgotten the U.S. economy isn’t exactly booming; and the illegal employment of their citizens in our country is a major causal factor in our declining middle class. Talk about gall.
Agreed. Arrogance, codependency and psychosis are not a good fit. Their government is as looney as they come. At what point do they stop pretending they are a legitimate country, while begging, groveling and demanding that we take care of them and get up off their sorry asses and do something for themselves?

Old 01-16-2009, 03:56 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
I wouldn't classify Spain as "Hispanic" either. The culture in Spain and Mexico are worlds apart.

Having said that, I can't believe that Mexico is asking for more handouts from the U.S. Now they want us to supply them with money to help their people emigrate to America?

So now that we are in a horrible economy (I have NO job and will lose my home in a matter of months if I don't find something), we are going to subsidize immigration into this country? And likely ILLEGAL immigration at that?

Absurd!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration