Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 01:31 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,493,690 times

Advertisements

Will this result in yet another loophole-laden, tax-funded, illegal alien abuse program?

Quote:
WASHINGTON, Jan. 14 (UPI) -- The U.S. House Wednesday passed a bill that would expand the State Children's Health Insurance Program by more than $32billion over five years.

Supporters say the legislation would extend the program to another 4 million additional children, paying for it with a 61-cent-per-pack increase in the federal tax on cigarettes.

Opponents argued, among other things, that the bill discriminates against physician-owned specialty hospitals, would allow undocumented immigrants to illegally access taxpayer-financed healthcare and is insufficiently funded.
U.S. House passes SCHIP expansion - UPI.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 01:46 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,723,610 times
I don't know why anyone would oppose that bill. The bill doesn't allow illegal immigrants to benefit, so that argument doesn't hold any water at all. Good the congress passed the bill!!

Quote:
The program covers more than 6 million children whose parents earn too much to qualify for Medicaid but who can't afford private insurance.
Supporters say the legislation would extend the program to another 4 million additional children, paying for it with a 61-cent-per-pack increase in the federal tax on cigarettes
Finally, the voice of reason prevails.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:50 PM

8,584 posts, read 9,055,220 times
As it was written a few days ago it would benefit illegals. Also, many people have stopped smoking so I can see this cigarette tax drying up over a short time. Not the way to fund it.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:52 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,309,400 times
Of course it will. It sounds 'nice' but the Government is broke and is nowhere close to being able to fund the entitlements it already has in the works.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:53 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,723,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
As it was written a few days ago it would benefit illegals. Also, many people have stopped smoking so I can see this cigarette tax drying up over a short time. Not the way to fund it.
How would it benefit illegals? Show me the clause in the bill that says so.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:54 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,572,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Taxing smokers was not the way to go(Shrinking Tax Base)...but it is one that everyone but smokers can agree with.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:59 PM

13,366 posts, read 28,602,546 times
Smokers are taxed enough to fund all these social welfare programs....where is the money going to come from when people stop smoking because they can no longer afford it....in NJ the price of ciggies on average is $6.25 a pack, mostly taxes to fund corrupt NJ add an additional 61 cents a pack and it may just be the catapult some need to quit.....SO THEN WHAT WILL THEY TAX!!

Old 01-15-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
I don't know why anyone would oppose that bill. The bill doesn't allow illegal immigrants to benefit, so that argument doesn't hold any water at all. Good the congress passed the bill!!

Finally, the voice of reason prevails.

Unfortunately, there are many programs that ‘technically’ exclude illegal aliens, which have been manipulated and abused. Section 8 housing and welfare come to mind.

In addition, they “assured” us the Economic Stimulus checks would not include illegal aliens; but many received them. As a matter of fact, I read several posts on the DREAMie website in which posters flaunted the amounts their illegal alien parents received. They all had good laughs at the taxpayers’ expense.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:21 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,457,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
How would it benefit illegals? Show me the clause in the bill that says so.
Rep. Nathan Deal (R-Ga.):

Quote:
How would these illegal immigrants get into the program? Simple. A provision in the bill allows potential enrollees to show only a Social Security card - not documents proving citizenship - when they apply at the state level to get in the programs.

“While I am a strong supporter of the SCHIP program, I simply cannot vote for a bill that flagrantly encourages illegal aliens to break our immigration laws and fraudulently enroll in taxpayer-funded public assistance programs,” Deal wrote.
SCHIP invaded by illegal immigrants? House votes today | Political Insider | ajc.com (http://tinyurl.com/93v65z - broken link)

If the only proof of citizenship that is required to enroll in the program is a SS card, what do you think is going to happen, blacknight?

Old 01-15-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Rep. Nathan Deal (R-Ga.):

SCHIP invaded by illegal immigrants? House votes today | Political Insider | ajc.com (http://tinyurl.com/93v65z - broken link)

If the only proof of citizenship that is required to enroll in the program is a SS card, what do you think is going to happen, blacknight?
Oh, how I wish I could rep you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration