Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 06:35 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
WASHINGTON - Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano, the nominee to be Homeland Security secretary, pledged Thursday to get tougher with employers who hire illegal workers.

"You have to deal with illegal immigration from the demand side as well as the supply side," she told the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee during her confirmation hearing.
Arizona Republic article

The hammer continues to fall: remember that Janet signed off on our employer sanctions law here in Arizona almost 2 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 06:59 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Wow she looks like she will be a great homeland security director! Will take this illegal problem right to the employers! If we didn't have the employers hiring them we wouldn't even need a fence to keep them out.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:59 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
It is about time that one of the largest contributers to the problem of illegal immigration finally gets the attention it deserves. Employers (combined with lax border/immigration enforcement) are the draw for illegals, and iho the most culpable. I hope the fine, fine, fine those bastards into finally doing the right thing --- follow our laws.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:39 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
I hope she’s serious and not simply blowing smoke. Employers of illegal aliens are the catalyst for this massive invasion. If not for their greed, lack of integrity, and a culture of impunity, illegal immigration could not have flourished.

This mess began with employers, and it must end with them. Imprison CEO’s and their minions, seize their assets, fine them $500k for each illegal employee; and if necessary, close their businesses. This should also apply to employers and their attorneys who rely on unethical, yet “legal” hiring practices, as a strategy for disqualifying qualified U.S. citizens in their quest for H-1B foreign labor willing to work for less. If our legislators can enact stringent laws to protect employees from being victimized by another Enron, they can enact (and enforce) similar laws relative to illegal immigration.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I hope she’s serious and not simply blowing smoke. Employers of illegal aliens are the catalyst for this massive invasion. If not for their greed, lack of integrity, and a culture of impunity, illegal immigration could not have flourished.

This mess began with employers, and it must end with them. Imprison CEO’s and their minions, seize their assets, fine them $500k for each illegal employee; and if necessary, close their businesses. This should also apply to employers and their attorneys who rely on unethical, yet “legal” hiring practices, as a strategy for disqualifying qualified U.S. citizens in their quest for H-1B foreign labor willing to work for less. If our legislators can enact stringent laws to protect employees from being victimized by another Enron, they can enact (and enforce) similar laws relative to illegal immigration.
Janet may indeed be serious---------especially as our economy continues to slide down to (possible) 1930's Great Depression levels.

Otherwise: JDubsMom's comments in the past about unrest in American streets may be prescient.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:26 AM

638 posts, read 1,848,826 times
I lived in Arizona. Her track record was unimpressive then, and she regurgitated la raza verbiage just like the Phoenix Mayor and Phoenix Police did. Everything I ever heard her say was an excuse to do nothing. She was a broken record : Immigration enforcement (and/or border security) is a Federal responsibility. So I'm probably not the only one who has that opinion of her, or rolled their eyes when that creep Obama, who smeared ICE, appointed her. We'll see what happens, but I'm not holding my breath on any improvement (or enforcement).

"Although supporters have tried to portray Napolitano as a centrist, her record shows she is anything but a centrist," U.S. Rep. Lamar Smith, R-Texas, said shortly after Napolitano was named as President-elect Barack Obama's choice to head the department.
Smith, who sits on the House Judiciary and Homeland Security committees, said, "(Napolitano) opposed or weakened measures to enforce immigration laws."
Napolitano to face immigration questions

Congressman Lamar Smith 21st District of Texas

Old 01-16-2009, 04:27 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,409,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r601020 View Post
I lived in Arizona. Her track record was unimpressive then, and she regurgitated la raza verbiage just like the Phoenix Mayor and Phoenix Police did. Everything I ever heard her say was an excuse to do nothing. She was a broken record : Immigration enforcement (and/or border security) is a Federal responsibility. So I'm probably not the only one who has that opinion of her, or rolled their eyes when that creep Obama, who smeared ICE, appointed her. We'll see what happens, but I'm not holding my breath on any improvement (or enforcement).

"Although supporters have tried to portray Napolitano as a centrist, her record shows she is anything but a centrist," U.S. Rep. Lamar Smith, R-Texas, said shortly after Napolitano was named as President-elect Barack Obama's choice to head the department.
Smith, who sits on the House Judiciary and Homeland Security committees, said, "(Napolitano) opposed or weakened measures to enforce immigration laws."
Napolitano to face immigration questions

Congressman Lamar Smith 21st District of Texas
I don't think it's you. I've heard your analogy of her from the mouth of others as well.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:43 PM

200 posts, read 349,794 times
Might as well swing the border gates wide open because Napolitano will, ASAP!

"Mexico's Cheerleading Constitution-ignoring Arizona Governer Janet Napolitano. The governor who vetoed legislation intended to prevent voting by foreign invaders."

Arizona Governor Janet Napolitano

Old 01-16-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad-The-Impaler View Post
Might as well swing the border gates wide open because Napolitano will, ASAP!

"Mexico's Cheerleading Constitution-ignoring Arizona Governer Janet Napolitano. The governor who vetoed legislation intended to prevent voting by foreign invaders."

Arizona Governor Janet Napolitano
Again: watch the economy----------that is the 800 lb gorilla in the room. If things worsen----------the deportation efforts will only increase. Otherwise the repercussions will be severe----------over and beyond LE actions.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:08 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
DO NOT FALL FOR RHETORIC.... trust me, do NOT believe what she "says"... look at what she "does" and I can promise you, she is VERY, VERY PRO-AMNESTY.. she is just trying to get your support before the democrats (who WILL have an unbeatable majority) modify it completely and she sits by and grins... you have all been hoodwinked...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration