U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2009, 03:19 PM

21 posts, read 64,197 times

Advertisements

I have two questions regarding this. I live in Montreal, Canada and
am canadian, 100% canadian. The family living here before I moved in
are cubans. The husband and wife lived in Canada for 10 years and are
canadian citizes. The kids were born here. They decided they were fed
up with winter (and I don't blame them) so they rented a truck and
filled it with furnitures and other things. They then crossed into
the US using their canadian passports. Once in Miami, they claimed
refuge status and got it right away. Does the US government allows
this. Would it be illogic if they turn cubans on rafts back to Cuba
to face harsh jail sentences but accept cubans like the example above
leaving a cozy life in another country. I know, illogic and
government go well together.

Second question, more personal. I got married to a cuban woman. She
left cuba with an exit visa from her country (very legal) AND with a
permanent residency visa from my canadian government. Three months
after arriving here, she disappear from my life, to reappear in Miami
a few days later, leaving me completely crushed and in debt. Would
this be consider legal by the US government? If not, how can we
report her. All I have is an 1 800 number that is useless from Canada.

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 03:26 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,134,898 times
Foreigners often marry Cuban women, and I have heard horror stories like this... Of course she ended up in Miami!!! Basically, you should have known her motive from the START. Women have a natural way of turning into bloody icicles and stabbing men in the heart.

You have no legal recourse here, mon ami. She won.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:33 PM

So if we take my first example. That cuban family, with their canadian citizenship, had all the rights to cross into the USA and ask refugee status even if they were well established here?

Funny how you say "mon ami". I have a very good cuban friend whom I met in Centro Habana and who now lives in Miami. He always says that to me.

Last edited by christianpoulin; 01-18-2009 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: Forgot to say it

Old 01-19-2009, 12:38 AM

433 posts, read 817,665 times

Yes, it sucks

Sorry my friend, I guarantee you that you are not alone. You cannot do nothing. Im cuban but I have canadians and americans friends on the same boat, indeed, the history is extremely sad.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:14 AM

I am asking this because an american immigration lawyer told me that asking for a refuge status when you have been living a cozy life in some other country is illegal. I am looking for a second opinion. She even gave me a phone number to call in Miami.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:12 AM

5,409 posts, read 11,068,069 times
ya they all go to miami

all they gotta do is cross the border. didnt you see the first episode of homeland security. all they nave to do is cross the border and voila. no need to go to miami for that. the person on tv did it somewhere in detroit or who knows where.

but i have no problem with this.

if you are still hurt over being dumped, well i cant help you there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianpoulin View Post

Thanks

Old 01-20-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
ya they all go to miami

all they gotta do is cross the border. didnt you see the first episode of homeland security. all they nave to do is cross the border and voila. no need to go to miami for that. the person on tv did it somewhere in detroit or who knows where.

but i have no problem with this.

if you are still hurt over being dumped, well i cant help you there.

I have no problem over beeing dumped. I have a problem with the year a half of my life, of my sweat, of my work that I give her to have her here. I have a problem with the fact that my parents flew to Havana to assist at the wedding because she thought it would be great. I have a problem with the fact that my kids were jealous because of what I did for her then having them with me in Havana so they could know her family and have fun with the "sobrinos" and they did have fun. I have a problem with the fact that I gave her herfreedom, a better life, a future and the possibility of helping her parents and in exchange, she gave me a knife in my back. I have a problem with the fact that her immigration from start to end cost me almost $12 000. I have a problem with the fact that for now, the good and honest have nothing to defend themselves with, which is quite normal in the USA and Canada because we are nations of morons trying to teach countries like Cuba how they should do things. Last week, 5 gangs members from Montreal accused of murdering a teenager were released because of an error from the police, mistrial. In Cuba, those guys would be in jail for a good 20 years, jail without cable TV.

You have nothing against a family leaving a cozy life in Canada and going south to abuse the goodwill of the american people? What about a poor cuban family on a raft (balseros) that could not make it?

Beeing dump? Big deal now after seeing who she really is. I went back to Havana last august and visited her mom. You should see her. She's completely destroyed by this. Not by the fact that she is no longer with me but by the fact that it's going to take years before she sees her daughter again. I hope that b***h found all the luxury that she was hoping for and made all this worth it. Or maybe, like a good cuban friend of mine who now lives in Miami once told me, she found out that the american dream is killing yourself at work to be able to pay your bills. Don't worry, no racism here, it's also the canadian dream. Maybe she also found out how lovely a recession can be. Maybe she also found out that owning your own car is more that just driving it. It's also blowing a whole week of salary to have it fixed.

Well, as you can see, I am not realy over all this. The dumped part? Yes. The treachery? Not yet. She's the first person who screwed me that I pledged would pay back. Seems it's not going to be with her refuge status.
But don't worry. Sponge Bob and I have something in common. We both have great IMAGINAAAAAAAATION.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:15 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,068,069 times
wow.

that sucks.

its good to let it out.

anybody watch mall cop? (we had free tickets, the kids were happy. i would not pay to watch such fluff) anyhow the protaganist (paul blart) gets left by his wife after legalizing her. later when his daughter is discussing the qualities of a romantic interest of P.Blart she says:
"AND SHE DOESNT NEED A GREEN CARD!!!!"

hilarious.

its sad that people abuse the system and along the way abuse people. thats sucks. but it happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianpoulin View Post
I have no problem over beeing dumped. I have a problem with the year a half of my life, of my sweat, of my work that I give her to have her here. I have a problem with the fact that my parents flew to Havana to assist at the wedding because she thought it would be great. I have a problem with the fact that my kids were jealous because of what I did for her then having them with me in Havana so they could know her family and have fun with the "sobrinos" and they did have fun. I have a problem with the fact that I gave her herfreedom, a better life, a future and the possibility of helping her parents and in exchange, she gave me a knife in my back. I have a problem with the fact that her immigration from start to end cost me almost $12 000. I have a problem with the fact that for now, the good and honest have nothing to defend themselves with, which is quite normal in the USA and Canada because we are nations of morons trying to teach countries like Cuba how they should do things. Last week, 5 gangs members from Montreal accused of murdering a teenager were released because of an error from the police, mistrial. In Cuba, those guys would be in jail for a good 20 years, jail without cable TV.

You have nothing against a family leaving a cozy life in Canada and going south to abuse the goodwill of the american people? What about a poor cuban family on a raft (balseros) that could not make it?

Beeing dump? Big deal now after seeing who she really is. I went back to Havana last august and visited her mom. You should see her. She's completely destroyed by this. Not by the fact that she is no longer with me but by the fact that it's going to take years before she sees her daughter again. I hope that b***h found all the luxury that she was hoping for and made all this worth it. Or maybe, like a good cuban friend of mine who now lives in Miami once told me, she found out that the american dream is killing yourself at work to be able to pay your bills. Don't worry, no racism here, it's also the canadian dream. Maybe she also found out how lovely a recession can be. Maybe she also found out that owning your own car is more that just driving it. It's also blowing a whole week of salary to have it fixed.

Well, as you can see, I am not realy over all this. The dumped part? Yes. The treachery? Not yet. She's the first person who screwed me that I pledged would pay back. Seems it's not going to be with her refuge status.
But don't worry. Sponge Bob and I have something in common. We both have great IMAGINAAAAAAAATION.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
You have no legal recourse here, mon ami. She won.
Maybe not, I found something. We'll see.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:53 AM

Any canadiens here who have been victims of this? There maybe a solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or