U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-24-2008, 11:48 AM
 
902 posts, read 505,464 times
Reputation: 184

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
You realize that I never said that the US stole land from Mexico, right?
Yes, I do but another poster did say that we did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-24-2008, 12:19 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Fair View Post
During the fifteenth century, the Europeans invaded the American continent, where the American lived. Then, the Europeans restricted the Americans in reserves. The Europeans-Americans became a majority on the continent, and the USA were created. The USA inhabitants started to call themselves Americans, calling the original Americans "Indians". Nowadays, the European-Americans permit themselves to prevent Americans from Mexico to come in what they consider like "their" territory.
Saying that the USA "was built upon the foundation of opportunity for a new life where you can have freedom of religion, freedom of speech, and freedom of demonstration." is to deny the existence of long term slavery, and recent segregation.
Finally, what is to be considered as "a real American" ? certainly only the "indians" and their children.

Know your History
If you deny my right to 'occupy' this continent, at least honor my 'sponsor', my wife. She's a 'real American', and its OK with her that I live here. She doesn't live on a 'reserve' although she has relatives who do. She could call herself a "native American", but she finds this 'silly', so prefers the term "Indian"...

Above all, she is pragmatic. She thinks the US society is a 'pretty good deal' for MOST people--not perfect, but she has no desire to 'kick the Europeans' (or anyone else) out.

Your point seems a little vague. There was evil and selfishness involved in the 'conquest' of the new world. As a matter of fact, evil, self-interest and inhumanity are the normal fate of ALL mankind. Here in America, we 'discuss' our societal guilt. The people of Europe ALSO discuss OUR guilt, as well--but are strangely silent on their OWN.

Almost ALL human societies are the result of invasion, rape, pillage, murder, and general all-around mayhem. I'm not sure where YOU live, "Fair", but I'm sure you bear an ancestral guilt as well. Somewhere, long before you were born,(I hope), SOME of your ancestors committed violence against someone else--maybe even against some of your OTHER ancestors. You may, or may not, choose to feel guilty about this. That is your choice.

Welcome to the human race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2008, 12:30 PM
 
1,861 posts, read 2,967,537 times
Reputation: 559
To me, a "real American" would be one who has paid taxes for many, many, many years, one whose family has also paid taxes for many, many, many years, and possibly (as in my case), one whose family fought in our wars - father, 2 uncles (one who died for the cause), and 2 cousins.

THAT makes it ok for me to LIVE here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2008, 01:13 PM
 
Location: South Bay Native
13,048 posts, read 21,158,596 times
Reputation: 22514
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Fair View Post
All i know is :
European=Europe
American=America
African=Africa
...

You are USA citizens or US citizens.
The English language is a little bit poor, in French, for example, they say "Etats-Unien" which is more or less like "United Stater"
That is incorrect. Even the the French refer to citizens of Les Etats Unis d'Amerique as "Americain/Americaine".

Know not where you obtained your misinformation, but I have an idea it can't be far from the rest of the misinformation you have sprinkled throughout the immigration forum. Your animosity against citizens of the US, whatever you want to call us, has been duly noted.

(By the way, the English language is far "wealthier" than the French - I get to say this because I happen to speak both, and know that there are a fraction of words in the French dictionary as compared to the English one)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2008, 01:34 PM
 
Location: Helena, Montana
2,010 posts, read 2,042,156 times
Reputation: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Fair View Post
No it's not your fault, but you are happy they did it, because you now live in a wealthy country. You don't want to feel guilty for what your ancestors did, and you can't be blamed for that, but then why are you so proud of your country, why don't you want immigration to be important, and why do you you believe USA is so superior?
It wasn't my choice, so yes I think I have every right to stay here. If I went "home", exactly where would I go? I know my ancestry, but anywhere in Europe is not my home, America is. And by your own analogy, most Mexicans and all south Americans for that matter should go back to Spain or other parts of Europe, and most Canadians should go back to France. The only people who the Americas should really belong to are native American Indians, and there are questions that they were actually the first ones here. History is full of injustice, but we as the human race (for the most part) have moved beyond trying to take over the world. What's done is done, reality is how it is today. No one will be giving entire continents back to people. You can continue to dwell on the past if you like, but I, like most people, am moving on.

And for the record, as many on this forum have had to explain to people until they're blue in the face because the other side just can't grasp the concept, I have no problem whatsoever with IMMIGRATION, I do however have a major problem with ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION. I have a problem with millions of people coming into my country, my HOME, unscreened for disease and criminal backround. Do YOU have some sort of problem with citizens of a sovereign nation wanting it's country to enforce it's laws and expecting people who want to come into this country to follow and respect them???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2008, 01:55 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
It wasn't my choice, so yes I think I have every right to stay here. If I went "home", exactly where would I go? I know my ancestry, but anywhere in Europe is not my home, America is. And by your own analogy, most Mexicans and all south Americans for that matter should go back to Spain or other parts of Europe, and most Canadians should go back to France. The only people who the Americas should really belong to are native American Indians, and there are questions that they were actually the first ones here. History is full of injustice, but we as the human race (for the most part) have moved beyond trying to take over the world. What's done is done, reality is how it is today. No one will be giving entire continents back to people. You can continue to dwell on the past if you like, but I, like most people, am moving on.

And for the record, as many on this forum have had to explain to people until they're blue in the face because the other side just can't grasp the concept, I have no problem whatsoever with IMMIGRATION, I do however have a major problem with ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION. I have a problem with millions of people coming into my country, my HOME, unscreened for disease and criminal backround. Do YOU have some sort of problem with citizens of a sovereign nation wanting it's country to enforce it's laws and expecting people who want to come into this country to follow and respect them???
And to run with your ball a bit further; which Native American Indians get to stay, rhetorically speaking.

The Navajo arrived here about 1,000 years ago and they probably pushed out an earlier 'indigenous' culture yet I do not hear 'boo' from the La Raza/MEChA types about wanting to toss the Navajo out.

Plus; there are some genetic traces of 'White' heritage in even 'full blood' Indians...........said ancestors most likely came here ca. 1,000 years ago as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2008, 01:58 PM
 
1,408 posts, read 4,372,541 times
Reputation: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Fair View Post
During the fifteenth century, the Europeans invaded the American continent, where the American lived. Then, the Europeans restricted the Americans in reserves. The Europeans-Americans became a majority on the continent, and the USA were created. The USA inhabitants started to call themselves Americans, calling the original Americans "Indians". Nowadays, the European-Americans permit themselves to prevent Americans from Mexico to come in what they consider like "their" territory.
Saying that the USA "was built upon the foundation of opportunity for a new life where you can have freedom of religion, freedom of speech, and freedom of demonstration." is to deny the existence of long term slavery, and recent segregation.
Finally, what is to be considered as "a real American" ? certainly only the "indians" and their children.

Know your History
If I didn't know better, I would assume this post was a parody or spoof. How completely, laughably absurd!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2008, 02:07 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancasterNative View Post
If I didn't know better, I would assume this post was a parody or spoof. How completely, laughably absurd!
I don't know if this is a spoof or not, but much of our "immigration" forum--(particularly the 'positions' held by some of our contributors) DEFINITELY have a strong 'surreal' quality......got to agree with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2008, 02:57 PM
 
Location: Des Moines, IA
1,744 posts, read 6,485,627 times
Reputation: 1206
When I see the title of this thread, all I can think of is this:


YouTube - hulk hogan Real American
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2008, 03:48 PM
 
Location: California
3,432 posts, read 2,157,153 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
When I see the title of this thread, all I can think of is this:


YouTube - hulk hogan Real American
God that music was just..unbearably horrible.. LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top