U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-24-2008, 08:08 PM

18,258 posts, read 15,676,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Fair View Post
Yes, the thousands of "illegal" immigrants from Mexico are merely stupid, they just want to break the law.
Why do you put quotation marks around the word illegal? If they come across the border without the proper documents, they are illegal aliens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 08:25 PM

21,157 posts, read 25,980,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Why do you put quotation marks around the word illegal? If they come across the border without the proper documents, they are illegal aliens.
'the Fair' admitted that his/her native language is not English......methinks we are dealing with either an illegal or a resident alien at best.

I doubt the above individual is a US citizen.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:11 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,270,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
'the Fair' admitted that his/her native language is not English......methinks we are dealing with either an illegal or a resident alien at best.

No, he/she is not. You can tell by the way they refer to the US, when talking about it they refer to the US as "there" not "here". And there is no doubt in my mind this person has a deep resentment and animosity towards the US and our citizens. My guess is an American loathing European, most likely from France or Holland.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:18 AM

79 posts, read 61,677 times
Default the first good post

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
If you deny my right to 'occupy' this continent, at least honor my 'sponsor', my wife. She's a 'real American', and its OK with her that I live here. She doesn't live on a 'reserve' although she has relatives who do. She could call herself a "native American", but she finds this 'silly', so prefers the term "Indian"...

Above all, she is pragmatic. She thinks the US society is a 'pretty good deal' for MOST people--not perfect, but she has no desire to 'kick the Europeans' (or anyone else) out.

Your point seems a little vague. There was evil and selfishness involved in the 'conquest' of the new world. As a matter of fact, evil, self-interest and inhumanity are the normal fate of ALL mankind. Here in America, we 'discuss' our societal guilt. The people of Europe ALSO discuss OUR guilt, as well--but are strangely silent on their OWN.

Almost ALL human societies are the result of invasion, rape, pillage, murder, and general all-around mayhem. I'm not sure where YOU live, "Fair", but I'm sure you bear an ancestral guilt as well. Somewhere, long before you were born,(I hope), SOME of your ancestors committed violence against someone else--maybe even against some of your OTHER ancestors. You may, or may not, choose to feel guilty about this. That is your choice.

Welcome to the human race.
i strongly agree with you, when you say "The people of Europe ALSO discuss OUR guilt, as well--but are strangely silent on their OWN."
They have at least as much guilt in their past.

And i'm happy when i read you "Here in America, we 'discuss' our societal guilt." that means you know your guilts. Not everyone on this forum knows.
For example, when i read " Personally, I'm totally against ANYONE who is in America with NO right to be here because they sneaked in! I'm also FOR far MORE stringent rules and requirements for those WANTING legal American citizenship." by SKYTRIPPER. Do you agree with that point of view?

You know, i'm from European, African, Arawak (native American), Indian (of India), Chinese,... heritage, and since i have one ancestor from Europe (who was surely a colonisator) i reproach to Europe his past. But, i'm in my mind for the immigration of anyone in Europe (just like european did it everywhere in the world) and in USA.

OK.

Ozark-Baby, i did not say USA stole lands from Mexico, but from the "native american"

DontH8Me :
i currently live in France, so i know what i'm talking about. People often say "Américain/Américaine" but it's not the official word taught in school nowadays.
i have NO ANIMOSITY against citizens of the USA, only against those who want to "close the frontiers", like Skystripper. i've been to USA, and there are open-minded people, i have nothing against them, they are friendly to other cultures, even when those other cultures come into USA. People like Skystripper would like people of other cultures stay in the country they was born.

And you must live in the depths of USA to say that "the English language is far "wealthier" than the French"... this sentence made me laugh.

OK
Cousinsal : Think what you want to think. Tell me, are you against immigration into the US?

Old 01-25-2008, 04:33 AM

Default what a shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
i put quotation marks, because they do the same thing the european did in the fifteenth century. Why wouldn't they have the right to get in the USA? Because it's "a sovereign nation"? The european before didn't matter if there were a sovereign nation in America before they came.

i say this, not against US citizens, but against those who feel the country is only their because they were there before, and don't want the Mexican people to come in USA.

USA has always been a country peopled thanks to immigration, and now some people feel there are too many people in USA and want to make the laws more strict. Yes, those people forget their History, saying "i wasn't there, i was not born, it's not my fault, only the present is important", which is not very clever.
Yes, i currently live in France, and what a shame France is against immigration, while the french have "immigrated" all over the world, and colinialised so many lands on which populations used to live. Some french are ashamed, other say "i wasn't there, it's not my fault..., let's kick the immigrated out". Yes, it's a shame, not a pride.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:34 AM

Default Alien?

Quote:

i'm a legal resident in France. The word "alien" you use, isn't it pejorative? To me it refers to the movie Alien, the extra terrestrial.
Don't you actually hate the immigrates?

Old 01-25-2008, 06:42 AM

Quote:
i'm a legal resident in France. The word "alien" you use, isn't it pejorative? To me it refers to the movie Alien, the extra terrestrial.
Don't you actually hate the immigrates?
NO; 'alien' is the official word as used by our US government to describe residents of the USA who are not citizens.

As for the 'White guilt' thing; mine died a long time ago--------all cultures have dumped on other cultures throughout history.

BTW: my father is a political refugee from Hungary-------he fled there c. 1950 due to the Communist takeover. Many of his relatives suffered at the hands of the Soviets at the end of WW II; does that mean I hate today's Russians, etc.? Of course not-------they are innocent by virtue of not being even alive in 1945.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:45 AM

7,844 posts, read 5,172,477 times
Quote:
The word "alien" you use, isn't it pejorative?
No. It's the official term. It means "non-citizen."

What kind of world have we (in the West) become? Where actions and intents are glossed over, rationalized and sometimes ignored, but God help us if we use a word that offends someone. Orwellian to say the least.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:23 AM

Definition of non Politically Correct:

A Black Hispanic Lesbian Witch with an Apache mother and is an anti 'Affirmative Action' Conservative Republican

Old 01-25-2008, 08:05 AM

Default ok

Quote:
NO; 'alien' is the official word as used by our US government to describe residents of the USA who are not citizens.

As for the 'White guilt' thing; mine died a long time ago--------all cultures have dumped on other cultures throughout history.

BTW: my father is a political refugee from Hungary-------he fled there c. 1950 due to the Communist takeover. Many of his relatives suffered at the hands of the Soviets at the end of WW II; does that mean I hate today's Russians, etc.? Of course not-------they are innocent by virtue of not being even alive in 1945.
Alright. Sure you don't have to hate today's Russians. But will you agree with today's Russians who thinks, for example, that every Hungarian must stay in Hungary, and never come and live in Russia, and who is proud of what the Soviets did feeling no guilt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration