U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-25-2008, 05:47 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Reputation: 2983

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
I read a pretty good article somewhere about this. This comes from the Normans invading England and since they were the upper-crust of society, a lot of our fancier words come from the French they spoke and the more common words came from the natives who spoke Germanic langauges (with very few borrowed words from the Celtic langauges, such as "trousers"). The amount of French words we use in law, military, politics and cooking should attest to this.
I think this is pretty much correct. It also speaks to the rather 'crusty' relationship between the 'snobs' in the British upper class and the 'peasants' below--to this day, British society (I understand), while celebrating many rights and freedoms, still has a sort of "schism" between the "working class" and the "uppers"--even reflected in their apparently endless appetite for labor struggles, strikes, etc.

Or at least that's my understanding---your post seems to back this up..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-04-2008, 03:56 AM
 
79 posts, read 96,947 times
Reputation: 12
Default Stop being proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Pearls to swine, macmeal - this person claims to have laughed when reading about my comparison of French to English - There are roughly 150,000 words in the French language. Here is a link from AskOxford for information about our "little bit poor" English language:

AskOxford: Is it true that English has the most words of any language?

He is obviously limited in his knowledge of what he's shared here so far, but stubbornly continuing on with his rhetoric of whatever dogma with which he has been thus far indoctrinated. I would leave him be to stew in his own misinformed juices.

Let's see if he makes it to my ignore list today.
Take a look there : Uni.ca -- L'état de la langue en 2001 « L'anglais et le français s'adorent ! » (http://www.uni.ca/henriette_walter.html - broken link)
Translate it if you don't understand.
Even if English has more words than French, 40 to 60% of the vocabulary comes from French or Latin. Elsewhere, why are you so proud english has more words, english is the language of England, USA people don't even have their own language.
English comes from Germanic languages, so it has some in common with German...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2008, 03:57 AM
 
79 posts, read 96,947 times
Reputation: 12
Default You're so clever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark-Baby View Post
I am sorry but we do speak English in this forum. Maybe use a translator or something.
Thanks a lot, i hadn't noticed you were speaking english.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2008, 04:01 AM
 
79 posts, read 96,947 times
Reputation: 12
Default So good

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
and then he says......






Damn I'm good.
Well i'm not from France, but i currently live there.
And you think i hate USA because i live in France.
First i don't hate USA, and i don't like Europeans either. They have the same way to claim "Our ancestors did bad things, we weren't there, so it's not our fault" just as USA people do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2008, 06:28 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Fair View Post
Take a look there : Uni.ca -- L'état de la langue en 2001 « L'anglais et le français s'adorent ! » (http://www.uni.ca/henriette_walter.html - broken link)
Translate it if you don't understand.
Even if English has more words than French, 40 to 60% of the vocabulary comes from French or Latin. Elsewhere, why are you so proud english has more words, english is the language of England, USA people don't even have their own language.
English comes from Germanic languages, so it has some in common with German...
Any way you try to 'spin' it; the de facto language of the USA is English.

If a person comes here to either work or simply to live; they best know our language or at least learn it real fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2008, 10:51 AM
 
21 posts, read 41,234 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Any way you try to 'spin' it; the de facto language of the USA is English.

If a person comes here to either work or simply to live; they best know our language or at least learn it real fast.
Language of the USA is English… English is in no danger of fading any time soon; it is firmly established both in USA and in countries throughout the world. Some people lose sleep when they see Spanish showing up on pay phones for example, but in a neighborhood with a high Spanish- speaking residents, it makes entirely good sense for public information to be printed in both English and Spanish. This doesn't mean that the English language is in danger.
The fact is that there will probably always be immigrants in the U.S., coming from different countries (I’m not talking about illegal aliens), who cannot speak English but whose grandchildren will end up being native English speakers. It is much easier for children to learn another language than it is for adults.
Bilingualism isn't a risk either to the English language or to the bilingual speakers them- selves. There are many rewards to bilingualism, both for the individual and for the society as a whole.

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2008, 12:32 PM
 
Location: Helena, Montana
2,010 posts, read 2,042,156 times
Reputation: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Fair View Post
Well i'm not from France, but i currently live there.
And you think i hate USA because i live in France.
First i don't hate USA, and i don't like Europeans either.
Ah, so you just hate everyone. Well at least you don't discriminate.


Quote:
Originally Posted by the Fair View Post
They have the same way to claim "Our ancestors did bad things, we weren't there, so it's not our fault" just as USA people do.
Maybe that's because anyone with half a brain knows that the actions of their ancestors hundereds or thousands of years is not their fault. Just a thought. In fact, if I could prove that 30,000 years ago your ancestors stole my ancestor's cave, would you feel guilty? By your own logic, you should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2008, 12:37 PM
 
9,742 posts, read 9,059,856 times
Reputation: 2049
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Fair View Post
They have the same way to claim "Our ancestors did bad things, we weren't there, so it's not our fault" just as USA people do.
Clue (hey, it's free ): Everyone's ancestors did bad things at some point in time.

Now that it's clear that we're all on equal footing, what, pray tell, is your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2008, 07:34 AM
 
79 posts, read 96,947 times
Reputation: 12
Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
Ah, so you just hate everyone. Well at least you don't discriminate.




Maybe that's because anyone with half a brain knows that the actions of their ancestors hundereds or thousands of years is not their fault. Just a thought. In fact, if I could prove that 30,000 years ago your ancestors stole my ancestor's cave, would you feel guilty? By your own logic, you should.
SimpleMan are you Simple-Minded?
i don't hate anybody! There is a difference between 'hate' and "don't like".
i don't hate USA or Europe, but i don't like tose who think they can inherit their ancestors' lands and goods, withouts feeling the shame or their guilts. i mean, i won't go and give them a hug, but i won't either spit in their face.

i agree when you say "the actions of their ancestors hundereds or thousands of years is not their fault." but in this case, you don't have to claim their legacy. it's as if you want your gran's house without her debts. Try to be logical, as you have half a brain: You don't want people to come in a territory your ancestors won by violence, but you don't want to hear that the people who were there before your ancestors have rights too, don't want to hear that today's immigrants do the same your ancestors used to do.

You say the country is yours but you don't want to know how it became yours. Was it a time when illegal immigration was a good thing, between 1492 and 1900? And after that, people are not welcome since they don't speak english?

To answer you, if 30,000 years ago my ancestors stole your ancestor's cave, i won't tell people "Don't go in the cave, it's mine, my ancestors stole it!" like people in USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2008, 07:36 AM
 
79 posts, read 96,947 times
Reputation: 12
Default Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Clue (hey, it's free ): Everyone's ancestors did bad things at some point in time.

Now that it's clear that we're all on equal footing, what, pray tell, is your point?
But everyone's ancestors did not make genocides. Or it's not well known.
And if it's well known, they are not proud of that part of their past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top