Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2008, 02:24 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,371,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Fair View Post
Why claiming "it's our territory, no matter why it's ours, and now, we don't want people to come and live here" that has no sense.
Well, the house you live in most certainly is on a piece of land that was stolen at one time in history, so you should just leave your doors unlocked, and let every scumbag in you neighborhood come live with you. After all, telling these people your house is "yours now", and saying "I don't want people to live in my house with me", makes no sense, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 02:27 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,371,060 times
Quote:
i know you will never admit you're wrong,
When I'm wrong, I'll be more than happy to admit it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Fair
Plus you have always been taught "USA is the greatest country,
The USA IS the greatest country in the world. Don't be jealous cause your country sucks.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:42 AM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothschild_Josh View Post
Language of the USA is English… English is in no danger of fading any time soon; it is firmly established both in USA and in countries throughout the world. Some people lose sleep when they see Spanish showing up on pay phones for example, but in a neighborhood with a high Spanish- speaking residents, it makes entirely good sense for public information to be printed in both English and Spanish. This doesn't mean that the English language is in danger.
The fact is that there will probably always be immigrants in the U.S., coming from different countries (I’m not talking about illegal aliens), who cannot speak English but whose grandchildren will end up being native English speakers. It is much easier for children to learn another language than it is for adults.
Bilingualism isn't a risk either to the English language or to the bilingual speakers them- selves. There are many rewards to bilingualism, both for the individual and for the society as a whole.

Cheers
As George Putnam says... (one) Language is the glue that holds a country together.
The vast majority of immigrants which came over 50 or 100 years ago made it a point to learn English. Sadly, many today don't want to bother... it is "too hard," or they see this country as a "part of Mexico."

Old 02-06-2008, 03:30 AM

79 posts, read 109,338 times
Default This is why i'm fair

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
When I'm wrong, I'll be more than happy to admit it.

The USA IS the greatest country in the world. Don't be jealous cause your country sucks.
Well, i don't own any country, so "my" country can't suck. Among all what i said, do you really fell i'm jealous? If i were you, i wouldn't feel so proud to be a citizen of "the greatest country of the world" just because it's the one with the most powerful weapons.

The comparison you make with my doors unlocked would be fair as long as i could go in the house of the people coming into mine.

Fleet : Does everyone coming from USA going to China, Germany,... learn the local languages? Does half the population of USA know WHERE is China?

Old 02-06-2008, 04:11 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,046,936 times
Hey,

Be nice to America,

..or we'll bring democracy to yours next.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:24 AM

Default America?

Quote:
Originally Posted by User 2 View Post
Hey,

Be nice to America,

..or we'll bring democracy to yours next.
What do you call America? USA? i know no country named 'America'.
What kind of democracy will you bring? The same than in Iraq or USA? Will you personnaly come to bring democracy? Now currently in France, people in France know more than people in USA about democracy.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:47 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
As George Putnam says... (one) Language is the glue that holds a country together.
The vast majority of immigrants which came over 50 or 100 years ago made it a point to learn English. Sadly, many today don't want to bother... it is "too hard," or they see this country as a "part of Mexico."
Damn straight there!

And; I am an Old School Liberal who has taken a hard right turn concerning illegal immigration.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:58 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Ha, ha ha. "Your" language...
Anyway, speaking two languages won't make you less intelligent, people of almost every country learn 2 or more languages at school.
Why don't you learn to speak Spanish, it won't hurt your tongue, and you will be able to travel in more countries easier.
But i agree, Spanish mustn't replace English in USA, but they can both exist, like in Florida...
firstly, two languages will not make you less intelligent... that i agree on, but who says it should be english and spanish in America? I speak english and studied two years of french in HS. I'll likely be taking french again if i decide to go for a BS begree. I'm am nowhere near fluent but it is nice to have a choice to learning something new.

I have never had any interest in learning spanish. This spanish-speaking movement is only hardening my resolve to learn as little spanish as possible. I should not have to learn spanish to do business in my home state of Virginia but it quickly coming to that thanks to these stubborn hard-headed illegal immigrants. I refuse to conform to another culture that is trying to override mine.

I still think the US is the best country in the world but this illegal invasion is closing the gap between us and other countries and if the invasion is not stopped now we will be reduced to a place between the elite and the third-world.

also i'm an independent moderate who has been converted from pro-illegal to anti-illegal. You wanna know what converted me? Seeing firsthand the lack of reverence and respect that illegals have for our country which we have paid in blood and lost lives to make it a great place. That shooting in Newark that was committed by illegals that took the lives of three promising african-american students who resisted the temptation of Newark's streets only to be killed by folks who had no business in the country was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
firstly, two languages will not make you less intelligent... that i agree on, but who says it should be english and spanish in America? I speak english and studied two years of french in HS. I'll likely be taking french again if i decide to go for a BS begree. I'm am nowhere near fluent but it is nice to have a choice to learning something new.

I have never had any interest in learning spanish. This spanish-speaking movement is only hardening my resolve to learn as little spanish as possible. I should not have to learn spanish to do business in my home state of Virginia but it quickly coming to that thanks to these stubborn hard-headed illegal immigrants. I refuse to conform to another culture that is trying to override mine.

I still think the US is the best country in the world but this illegal invasion is closing the gap between us and other countries and if the invasion is not stopped now we will be reduced to a place between the elite and the third-world.

also i'm an independent moderate who has been converted from pro-illegal to anti-illegal. You wanna know what converted me? Seeing firsthand the lack of reverence and respect that illegals have for our country which we have paid in blood and lost lives to make it a great place. That shooting in Newark that was committed by illegals that took the lives of three promising african-american students who resisted the temptation of Newark's streets only to be killed by folks who had no business in the country was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.
Hum you are allergic to Spanish because you don't like (or hate) the Mexican. Actually Spanish is very close to French, it's not difficult to learn.
What you call "spanish-speaking movement" is a reality for over 380million people, not a fashion.

Anyway, you talk about the life you gave to your great country, how many blood did you give for it to stay such a "great place"?
And why do you think USA is the best country in the world, what parameters do you base on?

And the crime story you talk about... what do you want to prove? Most crimes are due to immigration? Are you xenophobic? Or allergic to people from Mexico?

Finally, would you mind reading all my posts and give your point, i mean, what about the past? And don't you consider yourself as a child of a child of a child... of an immigrate? And do you think when the european came into America they took the trouble to learn the languages of the people who lived there? And if you are proud to be a citizen of the USA, why?

Old 02-06-2008, 09:31 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Hum you are allergic to Spanish because you don't like (or hate) the Mexican. Actually Spanish is very close to French, it's not difficult to learn.
What you call "spanish-speaking movement" is a reality for over 380million people, not a fashion.

Anyway, you talk about the life you gave to your great country, how many blood did you give for it to stay such a "great place"?
And why do you think USA is the best country in the world, what parameters do you base on?

And the crime story you talk about... what do you want to prove? Most crimes are due to immigration? Are you xenophobic? Or allergic to people from Mexico?

Finally, would you mind reading all my posts and give your point, i mean, what about the past? And don't you consider yourself as a child of a child of a child... of an immigrate? And do you think when the european came into America they took the trouble to learn the languages of the people who lived there? And if you are proud to be a citizen of the USA, why?
Firstly, i'm NOT a racist. My best friend is Hispanic (likely mexican) and a lot of my friends are hispanic. I just don't like being pushed around. Espically by folks who don't have any rights to push me around. And i will NOT be forced into learning another language.

Secondly, i'm not talking about the life or blood i gave. I've never been in the military. I'm talking about the soliders who died in service to the US.

Thirdly, the US may be in trouble now, but it is still the best mix of everything that contributes to a high quality of life in my view. Therefore, the best country in the world.

Fourthly, illegals cause violent crime and we don't need their crime issues. We have enough issues of crime from our own citizens to deal with.

Fifthly, I'm African-american and come from the Cherokee tribe of Native Americans. Can't argue on those fronts b/c slaves didnt want to be here in the first place and Cherokees were NATIVE americans.

Also just what country are you from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration