U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2008, 09:22 AM

25,107 posts, read 34,386,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthMother1951 View Post
OK, I didn't see the show you are speaking about.
Here is a link to the episode I mentioned

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/WhatWould...4310491&page=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 09:35 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,176,507 times
Yeah, let's see some of that racism...

Old 02-23-2008, 09:39 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,646,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthMother1951 View Post
But of course they are ok because they hate the white man.
And; many of the MEChA people hate American Indians as well-------never mind that, racially speaking, most Mestizos are of White/Indian heritage.

The former group would not last long in Spain either-------that variety of Hispanic is very White Supremacist.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:45 AM

Funny; one does not see many of the MEChA style protests in Mexico.

Probably because the Federales would crack heads

Besides; Mexico fought (and won) their war of independence from Spain ca. 1821, had the former lost--------connect the dots.

Too; where is the rage against Guatemala, etc.------they too were part of Mexico after 1848 but that fact is 'conveniently' overlooked.

Hypocritical losers.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:52 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,624,231 times
Default STEROTYPING'S Insidious Hold on Public Discourse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Like it or not, racism is part of human nature. Human nature is to most like "our own kind". Now, don't misunderstand, most people realize that blatant racism - that is, taking adverse actions against someone merely because of their race, is wrong. But, racism is there nonetheless.

I happen to watch 20/20 last night. They did a segment on just this issue by chance. They took three white teenagers - and they were vandalizing a car. Spray painting it - breaking a window. All in an area with lots of passers by. Only 2 people called 911.

Then, they put 3 Black teenagers - doing the very same thing. I think there was a dozen calls to 911. Racism.

The Chinese (in China) do not like the Japanese.

In the United States, there is racism expressed towards those of Middle Eastern heritage.

Native Americans in our own country experience racism all the time.

Racism is many times expressed by stereotyping a group because of the actions of One.

Right or Wrong, Racism is all around us
I don't doubt this one bit....there is NO DOUBT at all that Black folks DO have a harder time with 'scrutiny" than others. I told the story on another post in which my wife (Indian) and her co-worker (black) one evening on their switchboard got a call form a "concerned lady" in the exclusive community that there was a black man walking up the street. He wasn't DOING anything, but the lady just wanted to be EXTRA CAREFUL. You can imagine the "conversation" my wife and her friend had after they "settled" THAT call.

HOWEVER, this has to do with a subject no one YET has mentioned...and that's called "Stereotyping". It is as racist as anything could be, yet is almost impossible to 'root out"...and that is because there IS a tiny degree of validity in stereotyping...and that's why it 'hurts". For example, someone who automatically associates "Mexicans" with "illegals" is obviously making broad racist connections...YET, there is some BASIS for this stereotyping, since up to 20 million Mexicans in this country, ARE, in fact, here illegally. It isn't a WHOLLY irrational connection. And, if a person IS only a 'racist', this gives his grumblings more 'fuel'...that, in fact, the object of his dislike (in this case, Mexicans) really ARE doing 'wrong" things, and in great numbers.

Stereotyping is what fuels the ENDLESS and montonous assertions that ANY "Anglo" who objects in ANY way to illegal immigration, is, by definition, a "racist". The stereotype continues to exist because, in fact, some of these people really ARE racists, and that fact is then used to label ALL anglo anti-ilegals as 'racists', though many have perfectly legitimate objections to illegals, for reasons having nothing to do with race.

I live in a fairly affluent area that police have called the "Bank Robbery Capitol of the USA", because we have a huge number of small banks and quick access to freeways for "getaway". We had a huge "run' of quick "hit-and-split" bank robberies some years ago, and about 80% of these were the work of groups of 4 to 6 young black guys, though this area is only 4 or 5 percent black. You can BET that there was a certain 'tension' in the air whenever a group of young black males walked into one of the local banks, REGARDLESS of their purpose. That's called "stereotyping". It's racist and it's ugly, but there is a rational reason why it happens (The 'black bank robber' stereotype has now pretty well disappeared around here, after the robberies slacked off...and we got some "other" robbers into the mix, as well.)

The same "stereotyping" goes on when folks see an adult male "lingering" around a kindergarten....or idly strolling through a parking structure where lone female employees park....or when large groups of kids dressed in "gang colors" walk into a shopping mall. Several convenience stores near here, next to High Schools, have signs prominently announcing "No More Than Two Students Allowed At Any Time". I understand their 'rationale', but that's stereotyping. Get 15 students in your store at once, and your troubles may be greater than any 'profits' you'd earn. (You're ALSO likely to lose other customers, during that 'lunch break'). Why do you suppose many landlords refuse to rent houses to groups of college students? (Hint--it's not because they object to education)..

Stereotypes exist and have their 'sting', because there is an uncomfortable rationale for their existence. There is no stereotype, for example, for "Amish gang-bangers", or "Swedish suicide bombers", or "elderly skateboarder punks", or "Biker gangs who dress in business suits", because either these groups DON'T EXIST, or their numbers are so tiny, that they have no impact on society.

To say that the "cops" treat people in the 'inner city' differently than they treat people in the affluent suburbs is beyond argument...OBVIOUSLY, that is the case. But it's ALSO true that many people in the inner city treat the "Cops" differently than they're treated in more affluent areas, as well.

The never-ending question in ALL stereotyping will always be, "Do we ACT BAD because they mistrust and fear us....or do they mistrust and fear us because we ACT BAD?"....There is probably a different, and equally valid answer to this, for each and every individual situation imaginable...

Old 02-23-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post

Few remember this, but way back in the dark days of the Viet Nam years, just after the MANY college "sit-ins" at Berkeley and elsewhere (which went on so long that many students had their whole year's grades 'destroyed' by all the idle time), there was some sort of student uprising at a large university in Mexico City. The "feds" moved in, bargained with the protesters, ordered them off the property, and out of the admin offices. Many complied, and the 'standoff' continued, as the 'cops' made several ultimatums, which eventually were ignored.

After about the 4th or 5th day (as I recall), that was 'it'. The Feds moved in, with LIVE AMMO, and a number of students were killed, gassed, and seriously injured. While America continued for years afterward with "student sit-ins" and various "occupations" of its campuses, Mexico never again experienced that sort of thing, to my knowledge.

Was this a "good thing" or not? Depends on your viewpoint, I suppose...

Old 02-23-2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post

Besides; Mexico fought (and won) their war of independence from Spain ca. 1821, had the former lost--------connect the dots.

Too; where is the rage against Guatemala, etc.------they too were part of Mexico after 1848 but that fact is 'conveniently' overlooked.

Hypocritical losers.
Doesn't ANYONE take encouragement from the fact that these MEChA signs are in ENGLISH?.....and YOU thought they didn't want to ASSIMILATE !!

Old 02-23-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Few remember this, but way back in the dark days of the Viet Nam years, just after the MANY college "sit-ins" at Berkeley and elsewhere (which went on so long that many students had their whole year's grades 'destroyed' by all the idle time), there was some sort of student uprising at a large university in Mexico City. The "feds" moved in, bargained with the protesters, ordered them off the property, and out of the admin offices. Many complied, and the 'standoff' continued, as the 'cops' made several ultimatums, which eventually were ignored.

After about the 4th or 5th day (as I recall), that was 'it'. The Feds moved in, with LIVE AMMO, and a number of students were killed, gassed, and seriously injured. While America continued for years afterward with "student sit-ins" and various "occupations" of its campuses, Mexico never again experienced that sort of thing, to my knowledge.

Was this a "good thing" or not? Depends on your viewpoint, I suppose...
That as you described occurred in 1968------and, the ramifications are still be felt SOB.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Doesn't ANYONE take encouragement from the fact that these MEChA signs are in ENGLISH?.....and YOU thought they didn't want to ASSIMILATE !!
True enough.

Although using Spanish would be almost as dumb-------the language of the White Spanish conquistadors who subjugated the indigenous peoples of the New World.

Old 02-23-2008, 01:41 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,162,786 times
The only racist poster I see that Guy posted was the first one referring to Gringos. Gringo in itself is not meant to be a racist word but the word after it seems to play it like it is. I must admit, he has some pretty good English though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or