U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2008, 08:43 AM

79 posts, read 96,972 times

Advertisements

Someone wrote on this forum that the Mayas were inhumans because they used to dance on their enemies' skins. Does that person know what your compatriots do in Guantanamo and Abu Ghraib???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Oh well, the past is just that: the past.

All through history stronger groups subjugated weaker ones----------what makes the 'indigenous' people of what is now the USA any different??

It is called Darwinism.

NOTE: 'stronger' can mean better educated, work ethic, frugality, sobriety, as well as raw physical power.
OK. So you weren't shocked on 9/11/2001? Was it Darwinism?
And, for example, was the Rwanda Genocide normal to you, as long as the Hutus had were 'stronger' (because of European weapons...)

Old 02-26-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Yes and no.

A citizen of Mexico is a Mexican
A citizen of Canada is a Canadian
A citizen of the USA is an American

Read that the word 'American' with no qualifier refers to only us in the USA
Excuse me but the word 'American' also refers to all people on the American continent. Many Canadian people consider themselves as American as you. I'll refer to you as US-American, since you don't have a proper name for your nationality, i can't be blamed for inventing one, it's still better than stealing the one of a whole continent.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:32 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Fair View Post
OK. So you weren't shocked on 9/11/2001? Was it Darwinism?
And, for example, was the Rwanda Genocide normal to you, as long as the Hutus had were 'stronger' (because of European weapons...)
We were not conquered re: 9-11.

As for the Rwanda atrocities: they were disgusting, yes------------yet, where were the African rage against that?

Besides: you chose to ignore my comments about peaceful strength--------education, frugality, etc.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Excuse me but the word 'American' also refers to all people on the American continent. Many Canadian people consider themselves as American as you. I'll refer to you as US-American, since you don't have a proper name for your nationality, i can't be blamed for inventing one, it's still better than stealing the one of a whole continent.
I along with most of my countrymen refer to ourselves as simply 'Americans'-------------end of discussion!

Old 02-26-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Someone wrote on this forum that the Mayas were inhumans because they used to dance on their enemies' skins. Does that person know what your compatriots do in Guantanamo and Abu Ghraib???
Do tell what we do at Abu Ghraib and Gitmo!

Somehow it does not rank as atrocious what Saddam did let along bin Laden on Sept 11th, 2001-------against innocent civilians including Muslims.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:12 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,689,216 times
Quote:
Since Mexico is in America, Mexicans are as American as Canadians or US-Americans.
Then, if "They are not suppose to be here" who is "supposed to be here"?
Mexicans are Meso-Americans. Those who live in the U.S. and Canada are North Americans.

However, I assure you that you will find very few Mexicans or Canadians who refer to themselves as American.

The word "American" has become synonymous with those who live within the borders of the United States of America.

Simply because more than one country occupies any given continent does not give those who are native to one country the right to freely cross another's sovereign borders all the while declaring their right to do so.

I seem to remember a little skirmish a few years back which you may also recall. It made all the papers at the time--it was called World War II--you know the one--Hitler decided that the European countries borders were of no consequence to him and that Germany had the right to occupy France, England, Poland, etc. As I recall, that plan didn't go over too well with the occupants of said countries.

I would submit to you that although Mexico has not declared war upon the U.S., they feel, as did the Germans, that they have every right to occupy the United States of America. I hate to be the one to break it to you, but that little plan is not going over well with the occupants of said country.

If you want to argue semantics, I would also submit to you that the Native Mesoamericans have not occupied, lived in, or traveled through, the modern day United States in well over 12,500 years. I hardly think that a century or two of Paleo-indian migration through the modern day U.S. entitles Mesoamericans to any sort of claim upon it.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:43 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,158,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Mexicans are Meso-Americans. Those who live in the U.S. and Canada are North Americans.

However, I assure you that you will find very few Mexicans or Canadians who refer to themselves as American.

The word "American" has become synonymous with those who live within the borders of the United States of America.

Simply because more than one country occupies any given continent does not give those who are native to one country the right to freely cross another's sovereign borders all the while declaring their right to do so.

I seem to remember a little skirmish a few years back which you may also recall. It made all the papers at the time--it was called World War II--you know the one--Hitler decided that the European countries borders were of no consequence to him and that Germany had the right to occupy France, England, Poland, etc. As I recall, that plan didn't go over too well with the occupants of said countries.

I would submit to you that although Mexico has not declared war upon the U.S., they feel, as did the Germans, that they have every right to occupy the United States of America. I hate to be the one to break it to you, but that little plan is not going over well with the occupants of said country.

If you want to argue semantics, I would also submit to you that the Native Mesoamericans have not occupied, lived in, or traveled through, the modern day United States in well over 12,500 years. I hardly think that a century or two of Paleo-indian migration through the modern day U.S. entitles Mesoamericans to any sort of claim upon it.
When ever I asked someone "What are they", they know I'm referring to their heritage. If they are White they will say, "Oh I'm German, French and Irish, oh and a little Native American." When I ask someone for their nationality EVERYONE says American. I don't know anyone who hasn't responded American (I don't ask illegal immigrants for obvious reasons).

X-American whether it be Mexican-American, Chinese-American, African-American I find these terms to be terms used to single people out. To me its like saying "Your not American, your a different kind of American." That is why I do not use this hyphen nationalities/ethnicities, it is used to distinguished what kind of American you are-- there should be no distinguishing. JUST AMERICAN.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:08 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,174,407 times
But if you ask that same question in Mexico City or Quebec you will certainly NOT get the same answer, would you?

Old 02-26-2008, 06:26 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,689,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
But if you ask that same question in Mexico City or Quebec you will certainly NOT get the same answer, would you?
Indeed you won't. I go to school with two girls from Canada, a brother and sister from Michoacan, and a girl from Jalisco. They refer to themselves as Canadians and Mexicans respectively. I asked each of them today during Geology class if any of them considered themselves Americans.

They found that highly amusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or