U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-23-2008, 02:06 AM

79 posts, read 61,682 times
Default You don't even have your own language...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
And you think the average European in 1493 knew that Indians lacked immunities to Old World Diseases?

i think they didn't care, they wanted them to die anyway.

They wanted to appropriate land. Yes. So what? Isn't that what people did up until maybe the second half of the 20th century, when humanity realized that MAYBE territory acquisition by force isn't humane? We can apply 20th and 21st century moral standards on people in the past all day if you'd like. To what end? What purpose will be served?

i didn't say the contrary, that's the way european did! They killed every population and culture they met! What i don't understand is why people are so proud of having of such ancestors, and why USA citizens are so proud of being "American"...

I think maybe it is YOU who needs to study WORLD history and find me a major "group" as broad as "European" who never tried to "acquire land" that belonged to others!

i know World History, thanks, unlike many USA citizens who believe and swallow whatever their government wants they to believe and swallow. You're taught USA is the greatest country of all time, you're forced to believe that it is the best thing in the world to be USA citizen, and you're taught that the whole world is jealous because they can't all live in USA while it is their greatet dream. You are

I don't understand Non-United States' citizens' obsessions with Americans "owning" the identifier of "American." The world knows exactly what you're talking about when you say, "I'm an American." They're gonna think New York and Hollywood. Not Brasilia, Toronto, or Bogota.
That's your obsession! By calling yourselves American, you think you represent the whole continent. You're just American beyond the rest of the American.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 02:11 AM

Default punch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
The United States of America is a nation dedicated to PEACE and FREEDOM. And I'll punch ANYONE in the nose who disagrees---
Very mature of you, in a democraty, people punch anyone who disagrees. What you think to be freedom is actually liberalism. Do you really think in USA everyone is happy, every butterfly is kind, all citizens are equal, there is no discrimination... and segregation has never existed, like slavery in your great country?
What about your "president"!!! What kind of peace and freedom is he for?

Old 01-23-2008, 06:30 AM

21,157 posts, read 25,991,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Fair View Post
That's your obsession! By calling yourselves American, you think you represent the whole continent. You're just American beyond the rest of the American.
OK: what would you refer to a citizen of the USA then?

Mexican=Mexico
Canadian=Canada
Argentine=Argentina
Cuban=Cuba
? =USA

I refer to myself as an American; no stinkin' hyphen before my 'ethnicity'

Old 01-23-2008, 06:38 AM

901 posts, read 44,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post

Mexican=Mexico
Canadian=Canada
Argentine=Argentina
Cuban=Cuba
? =USA

United Statean = U.S.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:10 AM

Default English is a little bit poor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post

Mexican=Mexico
Canadian=Canada
Argentine=Argentina
Cuban=Cuba
? =USA

All i know is :
European=Europe
American=America
African=Africa

You are USA citizens or US citizens.
The English language is a little bit poor, in French, for example, they say "Etats-Unien" which is more or less like "United Stater"

Old 01-23-2008, 09:20 AM

Default swallow it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark-Baby View Post
United Statean = U.S.
i don't except you to chaneg the way you call yourselves, since you have always been taught you ARE the American, your country is America, and you are 300 million people who believe that, since you swallow whatever your government want you to think ; and it's easy to persuade you that USA citizens are the only American. If one day a clever member of your government decides that the population must believe they are USA citizens, you will refer to yourselves as USA citizens.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:33 AM

7,844 posts, read 5,175,532 times
Quote:
i don't except you to chaneg the way you call yourselves, since you have always been taught you ARE the American, your country is America, and you are 300 million people who believe that, since you swallow whatever your government want you to think ; and it's easy to persuade you that USA citizens are the only American. If one day a clever member of your government decides that the population must believe they are USA citizens, you will refer to yourselves as USA citizens.
Seems to me that you are the one who is obsessed.

Tell you what. You call us whatever you like. We, and the rest of the world, will continue to call ourselves Americans.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:42 AM

7,844 posts, read 5,175,532 times
Quote:
Yes, but that proves you're big headed, you think the continent is yours,

Quote:
and as USA has so many times horrified the other countries in the past (e.g. by placing their pawns at the head of foreign governments all over the world) and especially South America countries, they don't want to be associated/confused with USA.

I see. That must be why these horrified people are flocking to America (). Yep, that's it. We Americans are such a terrible bunch that we've turned the entire world into masochists!
Quote:
Hugo Chavez hates USA! He is not going to say he is American even if it's true.
Or...maybe...just maybe...because Chavez is a Venezuelan? I'm guessing you take pleasure in the fact that Chavez hates us?

Old 01-23-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the laugh. I really enjoyed that. You did mean your post for a laugh didn't you? 300 million do not swallow what our idiot government tells us. You really need to check your facts before spewing such garbage.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Seems to me that you are the one who is obsessed.

Tell you what. You call us whatever you like. We, and the rest of the world, will continue to call ourselves Americans.
clap...clap...clap Thank you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration