U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 10:17 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,637,375 times

Advertisements

One of the ironies of history:

The descendents of the Black slaves here in the USA as a group live like kings compared to most Black Africans whose ancestors were never enslaved by the Europeans/Arabs.

Can someone say sweet revenge?

The best revenge is living well.

Another group whose history has an eerie parallel with the above (former) slaves would be the Irish--------the latter were treated like dogs by the British for hundreds of years. Fast forward to now and the Irish as a group are quite affluent and cultured.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:18 AM

7,020 posts, read 9,901,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Agreed. This is nothing but hogwash. Africans have never had a positive opinion of black Americans, but the negative propaganda only reinforces those stereotypes.

In response to the “mongrel” comment; by mom told him that she may not be a pure bred, but at least she doesn’t go around hacking people with machetes, worshipping rats and snakes, and mutilating little girls. She’s small, but very feisty.
Agreed. Like every other group of non-Americans and the illegal aliens squatting in this country they are simply seeking special favors/treatment from America and see jumping on the Obama band wagon as their avenue.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
African immigrants are free to feel a 'special link' with Obama....I find this perfectly natural and would feel it was strange indeed if they didn't feel SOMETHING positive.

All that I ask is that President Obama refrain from feeling, (or at least EXPRESSING) any 'special link' with African immigrants. He's the President, and he's not supposed to show favoritism. The African immigrants are 'private citizens', and what they 'feel' is entirely their business.

I don't care if illegal Mexican immigrants in LA feel a "link" with Mayor Villaraigosa....but when the Mayor feels a "link" with THEM (and gets so excited that he claims to help them 'clean our toilets'), then I get mad at the Mayor. He should know better, and that disappoints me. THe illegals are 'acting in character'...the Mayor is acting 'unprofessionally'.
Great analogy, ITA.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:24 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,821,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
African immigrants are free to feel a 'special link' with Obama....I find this perfectly natural and would feel it was strange indeed if they didn't feel SOMETHING positive.

All that I ask is that President Obama refrain from feeling, (or at least EXPRESSING) any 'special link' with African immigrants. He's the President, and he's not supposed to show favoritism. The African immigrants are 'private citizens', and what they 'feel' is entirely their business.

I don't care if illegal Mexican immigrants in LA feel a "link" with Mayor Villaraigosa....but when the Mayor feels a "link" with THEM (and gets so excited that he claims to help them 'clean our toilets'), then I get mad at the Mayor. He should know better, and that disappoints me. THe illegals are 'acting in character'...the Mayor is acting 'unprofessionally'.
I totally agree. Obama must be the president for ALL Americans, not a select group due to shared race/ethnicity. Sadly, your example of Tony "the toilet cleaner" is a huge problem among "immigrant" advocacy organizations.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
I totally agree. Obama must be the president for ALL Americans, not a select group due to shared race/ethnicity. Sadly, your example of Tony "the toilet cleaner" is a huge problem among "immigrant" advocacy organizations.
Tony "the toilet cleaner" is representative of the majority anchor baby population in Chicago's government as well. I'm sure many a day Mayor Daley wishes he had not indebted himself and the city to their population by agreeing to the scheme of allowing illegal alien voters to assure his re-election.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:35 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,821,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
One of the ironies of history:

The descendents of the Black slaves here in the USA as a group live like kings compared to most Black Africans whose ancestors were never enslaved by the Europeans/Arabs.

Can someone say sweet revenge?

The best revenge is living well.

Another group whose history has an eerie parallel with the above (former) slaves would be the Irish--------the latter were treated like dogs by the British for hundreds of years. Fast forward to now and the Irish as a group are quite affluent and cultured.

Admittedly, as atrocious as slavery was, I am glad some of my ancestors were brought to these shores. I would rather have been born here, than in abject poverty and suffer from pestilence and starvation somewhere in Africa.

I am not suggesting that all of Africa is backward and impoverished; but having no knowledge of the origin of my ancestors, I may have been spared.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Admittedly, as atrocious as slavery was, I am glad some of my ancestors were brought to these shores. I would rather have been born here, than in abject poverty and suffer from pestilence and starvation somewhere in Africa.

I am not suggesting that all of Africa is backward and impoverished; but having no knowledge of the origin of my ancestors, I may have been spared.
So am I. In addition to abject poverty and many other 3rd world culturally embedded negatives, genital mutilation is an experience I'm happy to have escaped as well.

Quote:
Female Genital Mutilation
Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) is a cultural practice that started in Africa approximately 2000 years ago. It is primarily a cultural practice, not a religious practice. But some religions do include FGM as part of their practices. This practice is so well ingrained into these cultures, it defines members of these cultures. In order to eliminate the practice one must eliminate the cultural belief that a girl will not become a women without this procedure.
Female Genital Mutilation

Old 01-20-2009, 12:48 PM

7,790 posts, read 7,267,735 times
Anyone else thinking about the OP title: Well duh!

Old 01-20-2009, 01:16 PM

3,496 posts, read 8,346,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Anyone else thinking about the OP title: Well duh!
Obvious...add the fact that Obama's father was Kenyan...

Old 01-29-2009, 11:32 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,080,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
While they may view us in a negative light based on depictions and sheer ignorance of our plight in America, they have no basis for doing so. They haven't exactly been kind to one another in their own country. Additionally, the only link they possess to Obama is his father's genetics. I doubt that they have very much if anything further in common.

As a matter of fact, Africans have more in common with the current illegal alien batch in this country than they ever would with Black Americans, Obama included.

African men treat women like illegal aliens treat their women and children: like chattel. Personally, I feel no kinship what so ever with Africans.
Wow, generalizations. First off Africa is a continent. There is a huge difference of views on the entire continent. South Africa is different from Senegal which is similar, but not the same to Ivory Coast, which is totally not the same as Kenya.

My uncle and my entire family do not treat women like chattel. We always treated women on an equal footing. This includes my uncles in the villages to my other uncle in a master planned community in suburban Abidjan.

Africans are not at all similar to illegal immigrants. We speak either French or English. As a group, African immigrants in the US are fairly well educated. We share a lot of cultural links to African American culture. Rap is huge on the continent. The Kanye West look is the style from Dakar to Brazzaville.

I will agree that it is sad that Africans and African Americans don't get along, but it is a two way street. Americans view Africans as dumb, simple, slow, and clumsy. Hopefully stereotypes on both sides will one day be dropped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or