U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 11:59 AM

216 posts, read 450,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I don't care if illegal Mexican immigrants in LA feel a "link" with Mayor Villaraigosa....but when the Mayor feels a "link" with THEM (and gets so excited that he claims to help them 'clean our toilets'), then I get mad at the Mayor. He should know better, and that disappoints me. THe illegals are 'acting in character'...the Mayor is acting 'unprofessionally'
I remember Antonio Villaraigosa said in an interview that he might run for governor of California in the future and the sad part is that he would most likely win in a landslide because you know the overwhelming majority of Hispanic voters will vote for him because they want to see a fellow member of La Raza in power, as well as the overwhelming majority of Black voters due to their hardcore loyalty to the Democratic party, and so will most of the Starbucks liberal White voters in California.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:07 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,894,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Wow, generalizations. First off Africa is a continent. There is a huge difference of views on the entire continent. South Africa is different from Senegal which is similar, but not the same to Ivory Coast, which is totally not the same as Kenya.
First off: Who said Africa WASN'T a continent? I'm not Sarah Palin don't get it twisted. I am fully aware that Africa is a continent with many countries.

As for generalizations? Whose generalizing? It's no secret that Africa is a 3rd world hot mess in more ways than 100.

Quote:
My uncle and my entire family do not treat women like chattel. We always treated women on an equal footing. This includes my uncles in the villages to my other uncle in a master planned community in suburban Abidjan.
Kudos to your uncles, they are one or two who don't. So . . . what about the millions that do?

Quote:
Africans are not at all similar to illegal immigrants. We speak either French or English. As a group, African immigrants in the US are fairly well educated. We share a lot of cultural links to African American culture. Rap is huge on the continent. The Kanye West look is the style from Dakar to Brazzaville
There you go again twisting my words to suit your needs. For the record there are plenty of African "immigrants" in this country and they have a lot of the identical 3rd world criminal traits as those here from SOB. As for Rap, it's huge on every continent so your point is?

Quote:
I will agree that it is sad that Africans and African Americans don't get along, but it is a two way street. Americans view Africans as dumb, simple, slow, and clumsy. Hopefully stereotypes on both sides will one day be dropped.
I don't know where you get your information from, but Africans seem to have issues with us. Not only do they attempt to ridicule us because we aren't Africans and have little to nothing in common with them, I find most of them to be jealous and critical of us because we are Americans and they aren't.

At the end of the day I'm proud to be an American and grateful that I don't live in Africa.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:31 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Winchester View Post
I remember Antonio Villaraigosa said in an interview that he might run for governor of California in the future and the sad part is that he would most likely win in a landslide because you know the overwhelming majority of Hispanic voters will vote for him because they want to see a fellow member of La Raza in power, as well as the overwhelming majority of Black voters due to their hardcore loyalty to the Democratic party, and so will most of the Starbucks liberal White voters in California.
I'd vote for him. I figure if he's willing to clean my toilet when he's mayor, by the time he gets to be Governor, he might landscape my whole property, re-roof my house, AND babysit my kids....an all for a bargain price.

I'm sure he'll also "govern" for a low price, too. (Right now, we have a legal Austrian immigrant working for us, and he's not doing that good a job...NOR does he clean our toilets. And he can't pronounce 'California' as well as Villaraigosa can, either).

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me....toilets cleaned, lawns mowed, the State governed, all for one low price.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:36 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,076,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
First off: Who said Africa WASN'T a continent? I'm not Sarah Palin don't get it twisted. I am fully aware that Africa is a continent with many countries.

As for generalizations? Whose generalizing? It's no secret that Africa is a 3rd world hot mess in more ways than 100.

Kudos to your uncles, they are one or two who don't. So . . . what about the millions that do?

There you go again twisting my words to suit your needs. For the record there are plenty of African "immigrants" in this country and they have a lot of the identical 3rd world criminal traits as those here from SOB. As for Rap, it's huge on every continent so your point is?

I don't know where you get your information from, but Africans seem to have issues with us. Not only do they attempt to ridicule us because we aren't Africans and have little to nothing in common with them, I find most of them to be jealous and critical of us because we are Americans and they aren't.

At the end of the day I'm proud to be an American and grateful that I don't live in Africa.
I never stated you didn't say Africa was a continent, I simply pointed out the fact that you generalized an ENTIRE continent. The countries are extremely different. The cultures are extremely different. I don't know, if you have to continent, but I get the feeling you have not. It is kind of like when Americans say "Europe". Western Europe is not the same as Eastern Europe. So don't get offended, I simply was pointed out a fact that you generalized. By saying "Africans" it implies, well, everyone on the continent.

Again, there are peaceful nations in Africa. Namibia, Zambia, Senegal, South Africa, Tanzania, Tunisia, Ghana...just to name a few. Is it the third world? Yes. Are there tons of problems? Yes.

What about the millions on the North American continent? Or in Europe, South America, etc. The women work in the markets in Ivory Coast and Senegal. Modern Africa is not what you think. Liberia has a female president. Many nations had female Prime Ministers...even as early as the 1970s. That would never have happened here.

Your post shows these stereotypes. You got defensive when I pointed out that you lumped nearly 1 billion people together and described them all as women hating and backwards. That is what you essentially did.

You probably don't know any Africans very well. So I think in reality, you don't know. I AM THE SON OF AN AFRICAN IMMIGRANT IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA!!! I know about immigrants from Mexico and Africa. So I think I may have a little more of a clue than a person who is neither Mexican nor African. I know your immigrant posts. They are filled with stereotypes that have been disproven time and time again.

Most Africans are not jealous. Trust me. Why would they be? Middle and upper class Africans have more in common with Europe than America. Part of it being that many went to British or French schools elementary schools, lived in racially mixed areas, and later attended European universities. The ones from the village, are, well, African.

If anything, comparing my growing up with my friends, it's more Indian.

You never got taunted by the Americans saying go back to your mud hut, or having your middle name mocked. You never had Black Americans make fun of your mother's accent. So I know what I'm talking about. It happened to me.

As for rap, yeah, it is big on every continent. This also is a unifying thing. Meaning that music, a component in culture, is unifying different cultures. So your stupid headslap thing really is a lame attempt at wit. It's called basic sociology and history.

I don't think it's bad that you are proud to be an American. Understand, that there is more out there that you don't know.

The end statement still pertains. If you want to learn more about Africa, at least Ivory Coast, ask me. Otherwise, don't act as if you know. You weren't there. You don't know.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:17 AM

4,828 posts, read 6,789,466 times
Quote:
I never stated you didn't say Africa was a continent, I simply pointed out the fact that you generalized an ENTIRE continent. The countries are extremely different. The cultures are extremely different. I don't know, if you have to continent, but I get the feeling you have not. It is kind of like when Americans say "Europe". Western Europe is not the same as Eastern Europe. So don't get offended, I simply was pointed out a fact that you generalized. By saying "Africans" it implies, well, everyone on the continent.

Again, there are peaceful nations in Africa. Namibia, Zambia, Senegal, South Africa, Tanzania, Tunisia, Ghana...just to name a few. Is it the third world? Yes. Are there tons of problems? Yes.

What about the millions on the North American continent? Or in Europe, South America, etc. The women work in the markets in Ivory Coast and Senegal. Modern Africa is not what you think. Liberia has a female president. Many nations had female Prime Ministers...even as early as the 1970s. That would never have happened here.

Your post shows these stereotypes. You got defensive when I pointed out that you lumped nearly 1 billion people together and described them all as women hating and backwards. That is what you essentially did.

You probably don't know any Africans very well. So I think in reality, you don't know. I AM THE SON OF AN AFRICAN IMMIGRANT IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA!!! I know about immigrants from Mexico and Africa. So I think I may have a little more of a clue than a person who is neither Mexican nor African. I know your immigrant posts. They are filled with stereotypes that have been disproven time and time again.

Most Africans are not jealous. Trust me. Why would they be? Middle and upper class Africans have more in common with Europe than America. Part of it being that many went to British or French schools elementary schools, lived in racially mixed areas, and later attended European universities. The ones from the village, are, well, African.

You never got taunted by the Americans saying go back to your mud hut, or having your middle name mocked. You never had Black Americans make fun of your mother's accent. So I know what I'm talking about. It happened to me.

As for rap, yeah, it is big on every continent. This also is a unifying thing. Meaning that music, a component in culture, is unifying different cultures. So your stupid headslap thing really is a lame attempt at wit. It's called basic sociology and history.

I don't think it's bad that you are proud to be an American. Understand, that there is more out there that you don't know.

The end statement still pertains. If you want to learn more about Africa, at least Ivory Coast, ask me. Otherwise, don't act as if you know. You weren't there. You don't know.
Wow, great post but don't even bother with trying to convince her to stop with her negative generalizations of races, cultures and continents.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:34 PM

196 posts, read 555,911 times
The sheer amount of ignorance being spewed from certain people on this page is very disappointing, but not surprising.

To start off, I'm African. I was born in near Port Harcourt in Rivers State, Nigeria, and moved to Oakland, Calif. with my family when I was eight years old. Before we left Nigeria, my father was already a licensed cardiac surgeon, but when we moved to the states he was required to spend a few years strengthening his credentials, which enabled him to secure a job in his field.

Quote:
Many are highly skilled and many are not. They are what they are and immigration is what it is. AMERICANS FIRST! everybody else needs to bring "a dish" to the dinner table or stay home.
Wrong. The plurality (44%) of immigrants born in Africa have achieved a college degree.

Even though there are many illegal Africans in states like New York, Maryland, Georgia, and Texas, I still fail to see where these "many" unskilled African immigrants are hiding...

"The Invisible Model Minority"

Quote:
A lot of things wouldn't be possible in America without the civil rights movement, including, but not limited to: the current invasion, complete with marches, mexican flag waving, the abuse of the 14th amendment, whining, and arrogant demands of illegal aliens from SOB.
Yes, we all know of the many things that wouldn't have been possible if it wasn't for the civil rights movement. Thanks for the reminder.

Quote:
Additionally, not only is this one professors opinion, but simply his text book theory in terms of how those of us who are descendants of slaves and the rest of black Americans feel about our history. He needs to get out of the classroom and stop making stupid assumptions about the history of slavery and BLACK AMERICANS vs. Africans and Africa. There is no comparison.
Irony. I suggest you take some time to reflect before you decide to judge others.

Quote:
As a matter of fact many Africans have the audacity to look down on BLACK Americans who have little or no connections to Africa.
Now I see your motives.

In all honesty, I don't think about Black Americans that often for me to be develop some sort of negativity towards them. I am fully aware of how some (not all) Africans hold certain misconceptions about Black Americans, but it's nowhere near as bad as you're describing.

But, can you really blame some of these Africans for having these views? I don't condone any form of discrimination, but certain elements of the Black American community don't exactly make it hard for some Africans to develop some of these misconceptions...

Quote:
We are Americans who relate more to and have more in common with White Americans than we do Africans. The phrase "African American" is simply a label concocted by Jesse Jackson that the PC sheeple in the press adopted and everyone else ran with.

This is nothing more than a feel good puff piece written by an idiot who observes and draws conclusions about the world from a classroom.
Good, you should be able to relate more with a a fellow American, than any foreigner. I also think the phrase "African-American" is a bit outdated, especially when the Black population is becoming more and more diverse by the day.

Quote:
While they may view us in a negative light based on depictions and sheer ignorance of our plight in America, they have no basis for doing so. They haven't exactly been kind to one another in their own country. Additionally, the only link they possess to Obama is his father's genetics. I doubt that they have very much if anything further in common.
As I mentioned before, I don't condone any type of discrimination on any people, but can you really blame SOME of them for holding these views?

Since you're so keen on demonizing Africans, why can't you mention some of the treatment Africans receive from Black Americans?

Are you aware of the numerous robberies, murders, rapes, etc... that far too many African immigrants have to put up with while living in primarily Black American communities??

Quote:
Little Senegal: Africa in Harlem (http://www.africultures.com/anglais/articles_anglais/44senegal.htm - broken link)

"To date, 41 Senegalese taxi drivers have been killed in the streets of New York. It's hardly surprising that Harlem's other black populations are greatly mistrusted in this climate. Very few Little Senegal residents frequent them and vice-versa. There is a two-way feeling of racism and the divide is difficult to breach."
Quote:
Violence Against African Immigrants in Philadelphia

"The vicious beating of a 13-year-old Liberian boy in Southwest Philadelphia this week has exposed a larger problem of animosity between African Americans and African immigrants, according to community members and school officials"
Now, I didn't cite the two above example to demonize the Black American community, I posted them to help you understand why some Africans hold the views you're describing.

Quote:
As a matter of fact, Africans have more in common with the current illegal alien batch in this country than they ever would with Black Americans, Obama included.
???

"illegal alien batch"

There are hundreds of thousands of illegal Africans in America, are they included in that "illegal alien batch" you're describing, or is that just another one of your MANY suggestive posts?

Please elaborate.

Quote:
African men treat women like illegal aliens treat their women and children: like chattel. Personally, I feel no kinship what so ever with Africans.
This one really makes me laugh.

Do you know me? Do you know all African men? I doubt it.

Ignorance is bliss.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:37 PM

JDubsMom, I think I know you from another forum...

I'm looking forward to your response, as well as the others...

Old 01-30-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Wow, generalizations. First off Africa is a continent. There is a huge difference of views on the entire continent. South Africa is different from Senegal which is similar, but not the same to Ivory Coast, which is totally not the same as Kenya.
I agree. Far too many people (including Black Americans) are accustomed to just saying "Africa" instead of being specific about what and where they're talking about.

Africa is a continent of many cultures, ethnicites, religions, and languages, you cannot simply just "broad stroke" the entire continent. Be specific.

Quote:
Africans are not at all similar to illegal immigrants. We speak either French or English. As a group, African immigrants in the US are fairly well educated. We share a lot of cultural links to African American culture.Rap is huge on the continent.The Kanye West look is the style from Dakar to Brazzaville.
I disagree with the bolded parts of this post.

In certain parts of the country, there are large pockets of undocumented African immigrants (esp. New York and Maryland), so the whole comparison between Africans and illegals is pretty redundant.

The vast majority of African immigrants who come to America speak English (and come from Anglophone countries), and after that I would just say "traditional languages" (Somali, Amharic, Swahili, etc) . In the near future, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a sharp increase in the number of Africans who originate from Francophone Africa (mostly due to France's strict immigration rules).

African Americans culture is linked to numerous African cultures, mostly ranging from southeast Nigeria down to Northern Angola.

I don't know much about the music scene in Cote d'Ivoire, but in Nigeria hip hop is mostly limited to the urban areas.

I wouldn't say rap is "huge", but it is certaintly becoming more popular, but so are genres like Gospel and Raggae.

Quote:
I will agree that it is sad that Africans and African Americans don't get along, but it is a two way street. Americans view Africans as dumb, simple, slow, and clumsy. Hopefully stereotypes on both sides will one day be dropped.
Co-sign.

Last edited by LivingInExiles; 01-30-2009 at 02:19 PM..

Old 01-30-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Wow, great post but don't even bother with trying to convince her to stop with her negative generalizations of races, cultures and continents.
Your obsession with me and your lame personal attacks are simply that. Annoying little girls such as yourself are representative of all that is wrong with DREAMies and why you are NOT wanted in this country.

Go home, grow up, get a life and try to live it. Hating me is not going to silence me nor will it change your status.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:

Blah .. .blah . . blah, rant, rave and tell your long boring stories to someone who cares about Africa or what you think. Personally, I could care less.

Oh and "Living in Exile" I read one line of your lame response and stopped wasting my time. The aforementioned applies to you as well. Moving on to something that concerns me . . . . .

TOPIC:

THE ILLEGAL ALIEN CRIME WAVE THREAD . . . . .

Last edited by JDubsMom; 01-30-2009 at 03:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or