U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-19-2009, 06:48 AM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,790,161 times
Reputation: 620

Advertisements

Quote:
The civil-rights movement helped pave the way for Obama's presidency and helped spur the passage of the 1965 immigration act, which opened the door to immigration from Africa. Since then, immigration from the continent has accelerated, especially over the past two decades, bringing more than 1 million Africans, many of whom have settled in .



The act was seen as a way to end discrimination in the immigration system, as an issue of fundamental fairness," Davis said.
The act abolished a national quota system that allotted the vast majority of available visas to European immigrants and gave very few visas to immigrants from Asia and Africa
African immigrants feel special link with Obama

 
Old 01-19-2009, 07:02 AM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Whitaker said the influx of African immigrants has redefined what it means to be an African-American because in the past, most African-Americans viewed themselves through the prism of slavery.
A lot of things wouldn't be possible in America without the civil rights movement, including, but not limited to: the current invasion, complete with marches, mexican flag waving, the abuse of the 14th amendment, whining, and arrogant demands of illegal aliens from SOB.

Additionally, not only is this one professors opinion, but simply his text book theory in terms of how those of us who are descendants of slaves and the rest of black Americans feel about our history. He needs to get out of the classroom and stop making stupid assumptions about the history of slavery and BLACK AMERICANS vs. Africans and Africa. There is no comparison. As a matter of fact many Africans have the audacity to look down on BLACK Americans who have little or no connections to Africa. We are Americans who relate more to and have more in common with White Americans than we do Africans. The phrase "African American" is simply a label concocted by Jesse Jackson that the PC sheeple in the press adopted and everyone else ran with.

This is nothing more than a feel good puff piece written by an idiot who observes and draws conclusions about the world from a classroom.

Last edited by JDubsMom; 01-19-2009 at 07:19 AM..
 
Old 01-19-2009, 07:22 AM
 
1,448 posts, read 2,658,155 times
Reputation: 690
Many African immigrants are a huge asset to this country because they are usually the highest skilled and well educated. But lets be honest. Lets take care of our native born citizens who have been ignored and fallen between the cracks as first priority.
 
Old 01-19-2009, 07:28 AM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
Many African immigrants are a huge asset to this country because they are usually the highest skilled and well educated. But lets be honest. Lets take care of our native born citizens who have been ignored and fallen between the cracks as first priority.
Many are highly skilled and many are not. They are what they are and immigration is what it is. AMERICANS FIRST! everybody else needs to bring "a dish" to the dinner table or stay home.
 
Old 01-19-2009, 07:49 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
"That scene, more than anything else, dramatized and illuminated the inextricable link that exists between people of African descent in Africa and people of African descent in America," Whitaker said. "And Obama embodies that link and that connection. Even though he is not a direct immigrant from Africa, he embodies the tie that binds the two communities together, people on the African continent and African-Americans in the United States, and the hope that we all have for a better future and an inclusive America that does not concern itself with where someone comes from or the pigment of their skin."
Given that Obama has family ties to Kenya, it is not surprising that Africans would feel a special bond and a source of pride in his historic presidency. However, I take issue with the bolded sections from the above quote.

Granted, the fact that most blacks in America are the descendants of African slaves is an inextricable genetic reality. Nevertheless, there has never been camaraderie between African immigrants and Black Americans. Just as there will be no bond between siblings raised apart or relatives whom have never met, there is no personal bond between most Black Americans and Africans.

If anything, there has traditionally existed a sense of superiority by those from the ‘Motherland’ toward American blacks. My mother was even called a “mongrel” by an African. I can’t speak for other blacks, but I have no knowledge of my African ancestors -- who they were, their origin. . . . . nothing. When the slaves were brought to these shores, they were stripped of everything. It’s difficult to feel a connection to the unknown.

In all fairness, it is understandable why many Africans would hold such negative opinions of Black America, given the negative images propagated throughout the world through music videos and other depictions of sheer ignorance and uncouth behavior.

Last edited by Benicar; 01-19-2009 at 08:28 AM..
 
Old 01-19-2009, 08:48 AM
 
8,180 posts, read 11,033,451 times
Reputation: 2873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Given that Obama has family ties to Kenya, it is not surprising that Africans would feel a special bond and a source of pride in his historic presidency. However, I take issue with the bolded sections from the above quote.

Granted, the fact that most blacks in America are the descendants of African slaves is an inextricable genetic reality. Nevertheless, there has never been camaraderie between African immigrants and Black Americans. Just as there will be no bond between siblings raised apart or relatives whom have never met, there is no personal bond between most Black Americans and Africans.

If anything, there has traditionally existed a sense of superiority by those from the ‘Motherland’ toward American blacks. My mother was even called a “mongrel” by an African. I can’t speak for other blacks, but I have no knowledge of my African ancestors -- who they were, their origin. . . . . nothing. When the slaves were brought to these shores, they were stripped of everything. It’s difficult to feel a connection to the unknown.

In all fairness, it is understandable why many Africans would hold such negative opinions of Black America, given the negative images propagated throughout the world through music videos and other depictions of sheer ignorance and uncouth behavior.

I don't know why people, or academics really, think that there should be a brotherhood between African immigrants and black Americans. After all, look how Europeans view the average white American ---- they certainly do not view us lovingly as distant cousins. Hell, they view us as the semi retarded red haired bastard

While geneology is interesting, the fact is that we are Americans and we have our own cultures and our own way of looking/doing things. As do Africans and Europeans. Like your mom, I too am a mutt --- and you know what they say about mutts vs pure breds
 
Old 01-19-2009, 08:52 AM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Given that Obama has family ties to Kenya, it is not surprising that Africans would feel a special bond and a source of pride in his historic presidency. However, I take issue with the bolded sections from the above quote.

Granted, the fact that most blacks in America are the descendants of African slaves is an inextricable genetic reality. Nevertheless, there has never been camaraderie between African immigrants and Black Americans. Just as there will be no bond between siblings raised apart or relatives whom have never met, there is no personal bond between most Black Americans and Africans.

If anything, there has traditionally existed a sense of superiority by those from the ‘Motherland’ toward American blacks. My mother was even called a “mongrel” by an African. I can’t speak for other blacks, but I have no knowledge of my African ancestors -- who they were, their origin. . . . . nothing. When the slaves were brought to these shores, they were stripped of everything. It’s difficult to feel a connection to the unknown.

In all fairness, it is understandable why many Africans would hold such negative opinions of Black America, given the negative images propagated throughout the world through music videos and other depictions of sheer ignorance and uncouth behavior.
While they may view us in a negative light based on depictions and sheer ignorance of our plight in America, they have no basis for doing so. They haven't exactly been kind to one another in their own country. Additionally, the only link they possess to Obama is his father's genetics. I doubt that they have very much if anything further in common.

As a matter of fact, Africans have more in common with the current illegal alien batch in this country than they ever would with Black Americans, Obama included.

African men treat women like illegal aliens treat their women and children: like chattel. Personally, I feel no kinship what so ever with Africans.
 
Old 01-19-2009, 09:56 AM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I don't know why people, or academics really, think that there should be a brotherhood between African immigrants and black Americans. After all, look how Europeans view the average white American ---- they certainly do not view us lovingly as distant cousins. Hell, they view us as the semi retarded red haired bastard

While geneology is interesting, the fact is that we are Americans and we have our own cultures and our own way of looking/doing things. As do Africans and Europeans. Like your mom, I too am a mutt --- and you know what they say about mutts vs pure breds
Bingo! Well stated and Great Post
 
Old 01-19-2009, 10:11 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I don't know why people, or academics really, think that there should be a brotherhood between African immigrants and black Americans. After all, look how Europeans view the average white American ---- they certainly do not view us lovingly as distant cousins. Hell, they view us as the semi retarded red haired bastard

While geneology is interesting, the fact is that we are Americans and we have our own cultures and our own way of looking/doing things. As do Africans and Europeans. Like your mom, I too am a mutt --- and you know what they say about mutts vs pure breds
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
While they may view us in a negative light based on depictions and sheer ignorance of our plight in America, they have no basis for doing so. They haven't exactly been kind to one another in their own country. Additionally, the only link they possess to Obama is his father's genetics. I doubt that they have very much if anything further in common.

As a matter of fact, Africans have more in common with the current illegal alien batch in this country than they ever would with Black Americans, Obama included.

African men treat women like illegal aliens treat their women and children: like chattel. Personally, I feel no kinship what so ever with Africans.
Agreed. This is nothing but hogwash. Africans have never had a positive opinion of black Americans, but the negative propaganda only reinforces those stereotypes.

In response to the “mongrel” comment; my mom told him she may not be a pure bred, but at least she doesn’t go around hacking people with machetes, worshipping rats and snakes, and mutilating little girls. She’s small, but very feisty.
 
Old 01-19-2009, 10:15 AM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Reputation: 2983
African immigrants are free to feel a 'special link' with Obama....I find this perfectly natural and would feel it was strange indeed if they didn't feel SOMETHING positive.

All that I ask is that President Obama refrain from feeling, (or at least EXPRESSING) any 'special link' with African immigrants. He's the President, and he's not supposed to show favoritism. The African immigrants are 'private citizens', and what they 'feel' is entirely their business.

I don't care if illegal Mexican immigrants in LA feel a "link" with Mayor Villaraigosa....but when the Mayor feels a "link" with THEM (and gets so excited that he claims to help them 'clean our toilets'), then I get mad at the Mayor. He should know better, and that disappoints me. THe illegals are 'acting in character'...the Mayor is acting 'unprofessionally'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top