U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 09:47 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,673,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezertGirl View Post
Don't you think the Good Magician and his Book of Answers would be better equipped to handle this situation?
Hopefully: Obama will be Humphrey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 10:08 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,798,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
I've given it some thought, but I simply do not feel comfortable giving out my old address. I've already told you that it was an older neighborhood in Spring Valley, CA. And that's all I'm willing to say.

For a savvy person, it would be too easy to check public records of land sales and real estate transactions and get identifying information on me, and I think that's dangerous.

This thread has gotten much more attention than I ever anticipated! And I'd really like to move on now. But I did want to come back and answer to those of you who are asking me to give out my old address.

Now...THIS TIME I am really going to say goodbye to this thread and move on to other threads.

Thanks again for what turned out to be a (mostly) intelligent debate.
I don't think anyone was asking for your old adress, just the name of this neighborhood you are talking about.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:17 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,663,267 times
Changing demographics come home to roost in South L.A.

Once predominantly African American, the area has seen an influx of Latino immigrants, along with their roosters, chickens and other barnyard beasts not typically part of the urban scene

For many, the image of South Los Angeles is that of a paved, parched, densely packed urban grid. But increasingly, it is also a place where untold numbers of barnyard animals – chickens, roosters, goats, geese, ducks, pigs and even the odd pony – are being tended in tiny backyard spaces.
“Most people don’t realize just how many farm animals there are in the city,” said Ed Boks, the general manager of the city’s Animal Services department.

For some folks, the rooster has become a potent symbol of the way their neighborhood is changing.

“Sometimes, I think it’s Mexico,” said Tony Johnson, who lives in Southeast L.A. He confessed that after being roused early some mornings, he has fantasized about silencing the birds permanently. “Boom. Boom. Boom,” he said, pantomiming how he would do it.
But a few blocks away, Jose Luiz, 43, seemed surprised that anyone would be bothered by the noise.

“It’s natural to have roosters,” he said as he surveyed a new community garden where corn, squash and tomatoes were growing. “I’m Mexican. We are accustomed to hearing them.”

Zoning rules prohibit most of this husbandry, but overtaxed animal control officers rarely take action unless they get complaints.

Some of the birds may be being used in cockfighting. But animal control officers say most of the backyard roosters are not implicated in anything so sinister. They are simply part of the household, a hobby and a comfort for immigrants who hope to re-create a little piece of home in a faraway, foreign place.

Changing demographics come home to roost in South L.A. - Los Angeles Times

Old 01-23-2009, 08:53 AM

563 posts, read 1,222,625 times
Hmmm...that's a Barred Rock rooster in the middle, with the other two boys being mixes. The birds in the pix aren't fighting *****...
They put razor blades on the fighter's spurs so they do the most damage in a fight and cause a lot of blood..."great sport"...

Old 01-23-2009, 09:43 AM

2,015 posts, read 4,556,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
Yes, my story is accurate (and true). And no, I didn't take any pictures or file any police reports (I only called the police to report the noise, and was most often told somebody had already called...but I never filed a report).

And maybe it's subjective. Maybe somebody else wouldn't have found the same circumstances as shocking or disturbing as I did. Or, maybe if these conditions occurred in a more rural area, and not in a big, modern metropolis like San Diego, then it wouldn't have been so disturbing.

The point is, I'm just an everyday American "Jane", and I had nothing against illegal immigrants until I found myself living amongst them. And that was the point of my post.
FormerCaliforniaGirl, I believe your story. I don't believe that anyone could make something so horrific up and in such great detail. To me, it sounds like something that is quite feasible. Hard to believe that it's happening in San Diego vs. Podunk, America, but when you have groups of people with no money, no education, living here illegally, living in crowded conditions, then what you described can/will happen.

For anyone who has travelled to different places in the world, where people live in poverty, crowded conditions, lack of education, etc., this scenario is repeated many times over. It's really sad that it's happening here in our country, in the U.S.A. You didn't say that it's like that in every place in San Diego, but I can believe that it happened where you lived and that it most likely still goes on.

It's too bad that illegals pick the most beautiful places of our country to destroy. Why not pick places that are bone-chilling cold, freezing, and sunless for 6 months out of the year? (I'm only kidding-I abhore lawbreakers to live anywhere in the U.S.A., regardless of climate). San Diego is one place that I've wanted to look at seriously for relocation. But when I hear this kind of scenario, it frankly sickens me. And it sickens me even worse that the perpetrators, the criminals become the VICTIMS. Come on!!!

Last edited by Donna7; 01-23-2009 at 10:04 AM..

Old 01-23-2009, 12:12 PM

627 posts, read 781,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
FormerCaliforniaGirl, I believe your story. I don't believe that anyone could make something so horrific up and in such great detail. To me, it sounds like something that is quite feasible. Hard to believe that it's happening in San Diego vs. Podunk, America, but when you have groups of people with no money, no education, living here illegally, living in crowded conditions, then what you described can/will happen.

For anyone who has travelled to different places in the world, where people live in poverty, crowded conditions, lack of education, etc., this scenario is repeated many times over. It's really sad that it's happening here in our country, in the U.S.A. You didn't say that it's like that in every place in San Diego, but I can believe that it happened where you lived and that it most likely still goes on.

It's too bad that illegals pick the most beautiful places of our country to destroy. Why not pick places that are bone-chilling cold, freezing, and sunless for 6 months out of the year? (I'm only kidding-I abhore lawbreakers to live anywhere in the U.S.A., regardless of climate). San Diego is one place that I've wanted to look at seriously for relocation. But when I hear this kind of scenario, it frankly sickens me. And it sickens me even worse that the perpetrators, the criminals become the VICTIMS. Come on!!!
You inject a valid point. Many desirable parts of the US are virtually ruined for those seeking warmer climes for retirement/health reasons (native born Americans) A relative who formerly lived in Miami could tell some factual stories that would make FCG's seem mild!
Yes, Miami (like others) WAS once a beautiful city. What a pity.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:27 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,673,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
I don't think anyone was asking for your old adress, just the name of this neighborhood you are talking about.
blacknight04: how about YOU telling us where you live? FCG owned up and stated Spring Valley Ca. And I live in Scottsdale, Az.

The ball is in your court.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:48 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,088,941 times
live
from
florence
and
graham

my nia!!!!

Old 01-23-2009, 04:15 PM

2,015 posts, read 4,556,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluskyz View Post
You inject a valid point. Many desirable parts of the US are virtually ruined for those seeking warmer climes for retirement/health reasons (native born Americans) A relative who formerly lived in Miami could tell some factual stories that would make FCG's seem mild!
Yes, Miami (like others) WAS once a beautiful city. What a pity.
Yes, I agree. Take a look at the beautiful, coastal, nice weather, warm climates in the U.S., and they are all infiltrated with illegal aliens. I have heard stories about Miami from people who have lived there and were forced to move due to crime, not being able to understand the language spoken, made to feel unwelcome living in their own city. It's hard to believe that American citizens, permanent legal residents, and those working and/or studying here legally, are made to feel unwelcome in various cities in the U.S.A. due to people who really shouldn't be here kind of taking over and sort of being Lords of the Manor, ruling the place. People get tired of being bullied by the sheer number and it becomes easier to say, "here, take it, you win. I'm out of here", especially when law enforcement and our federal government turns a blind eye to what is happening. I'm glad to see states taking action and I applaud those states who were the forerunners and were the first ones to draw the proverbial line in the sand and say, "No more - enough is enough." Bravo to those who are brave enough to stand up to tyranny and take action.

I am very cognizant of what it takes for us Americans to live abroad or study abroad as I have two older sons who are working and studying abroad. My oldest son is working as a teacher in S. Korea for a year. My second oldest is about to go to Chile for Study Abroad. You can't believe how much paperwork (and expense) was involved to get a Work Visa for S. Korea and a Student Visa for the one going to Chile. The visa cost money, there were fingerprint clearances that had to be met, Aids test, drug test, full physical, full dental exam, proof that the parents and/or the student had funds in the bank before they could go to either country. The S. Korean consulate in Chicago (our territory in the Midwest) required a webcam interview before the Visa would be issued. The Chilean consulate in Chicago required a face-to-face interview before the Student Visa would be issued. Both sons incurred costs in getting the visas processed, in over-nighting packages to Chile and S. Korea - very expensive, to do so. I can't imagine either of the sons entering either of those countries illegally and acting like "you owe me something." I wouldn't be surprised if both of them got kicked out on their ear. I wouldn't blame either country for doing so.

To think that there are people who just come here and plop themselves, demand rights, march for the rights to be here illegally is absolutely astounding to me. To think that law enforcement and our federal government in general has taken such a lackadaisical approach to illegal immigration is a shame. It is direct slap in the face to every law-abiding citizen, permanent resident, and such.

To be clear, I came here legally to the U.S. in 1968 after my mother and father divorced in Europe. Her family that had emigrated here from Europe also had to vouche for my mother and us (my baby brother and myself), prove that they would support us, had to deposit funds in the bank to prove that, and only after various paperwork was submitted, various vaccinations given, a long wait time, were we able to come here legally. I was six years old when I came here; it took me slightly over a year to learn English quite well and in a few more years, I knew English as well or better than the kids I went to school with even though we spoke the "old country" language at home because this is simply the language that my family was familiar with. However, they spent many years going to "English as a Second Language" night school at a local high school and worked as hard as they could to learn English and assimilate with the language. This is not to say that they wanted to forget their native language, but they knew if they wanted to get a job, get along with people, they would have to learn English. We live in NE OH.

I know that my story is not unique, that many others have a similiar story, it's just important to remember the difference between legally working and studying in another country, and illegally entering and staying, demanding rights, demanding benefits, demanding special treatment when what you're doing is entering and living in another nation illegally.

Last edited by Donna7; 01-23-2009 at 04:35 PM..

Old 01-23-2009, 07:17 PM

32,908 posts, read 30,162,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
Yes, I agree. Take a look at the beautiful, coastal, nice weather, warm climates in the U.S., and they are all infiltrated with illegal aliens. I have heard stories about Miami from people who have lived there and were forced to move due to crime, not being able to understand the language spoken, made to feel unwelcome living in their own city. It's hard to believe that American citizens, permanent legal residents, and those working and/or studying here legally, are made to feel unwelcome in various cities in the U.S.A. due to people who really shouldn't be here kind of taking over and sort of being Lords of the Manor, ruling the place. People get tired of being bullied by the sheer number and it becomes easier to say, "here, take it, you win. I'm out of here", especially when law enforcement and our federal government turns a blind eye to what is happening. I'm glad to see states taking action and I applaud those states who were the forerunners and were the first ones to draw the proverbial line in the sand and say, "No more - enough is enough." Bravo to those who are brave enough to stand up to tyranny and take action.

I am very cognizant of what it takes for us Americans to live abroad or study abroad as I have two older sons who are working and studying abroad. My oldest son is working as a teacher in S. Korea for a year. My second oldest is about to go to Chile for Study Abroad. You can't believe how much paperwork (and expense) was involved to get a Work Visa for S. Korea and a Student Visa for the one going to Chile. The visa cost money, there were fingerprint clearances that had to be met, Aids test, drug test, full physical, full dental exam, proof that the parents and/or the student had funds in the bank before they could go to either country. The S. Korean consulate in Chicago (our territory in the Midwest) required a webcam interview before the Visa would be issued. The Chilean consulate in Chicago required a face-to-face interview before the Student Visa would be issued. Both sons incurred costs in getting the visas processed, in over-nighting packages to Chile and S. Korea - very expensive, to do so. I can't imagine either of the sons entering either of those countries illegally and acting like "you owe me something." I wouldn't be surprised if both of them got kicked out on their ear. I wouldn't blame either country for doing so.

To think that there are people who just come here and plop themselves, demand rights, march for the rights to be here illegally is absolutely astounding to me. To think that law enforcement and our federal government in general has taken such a lackadaisical approach to illegal immigration is a shame. It is direct slap in the face to every law-abiding citizen, permanent resident, and such.

To be clear, I came here legally to the U.S. in 1968 after my mother and father divorced in Europe. Her family that had emigrated here from Europe also had to vouche for my mother and us (my baby brother and myself), prove that they would support us, had to deposit funds in the bank to prove that, and only after various paperwork was submitted, various vaccinations given, a long wait time, were we able to come here legally. I was six years old when I came here; it took me slightly over a year to learn English quite well and in a few more years, I knew English as well or better than the kids I went to school with even though we spoke the "old country" language at home because this is simply the language that my family was familiar with. However, they spent many years going to "English as a Second Language" night school at a local high school and worked as hard as they could to learn English and assimilate with the language. This is not to say that they wanted to forget their native language, but they knew if they wanted to get a job, get along with people, they would have to learn English. We live in NE OH.

I know that my story is not unique, that many others have a similiar story, it's just important to remember the difference between legally working and studying in another country, and illegally entering and staying, demanding rights, demanding benefits, demanding special treatment when what you're doing is entering and living in another nation illegally.
I want to thank you for sharing this post with us. What it does is show what it is supposed to be like to enter the US. It should be cherished and viewed as the gift of all gifts. It's a horrible thing that just because we land border another Country Illegal Aliens from that Country think they are entitled to some rip off American taxpayers VIP card. Again, thanks for sharing, people like you are very honorable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or