Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 04:02 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,285,548 times

Advertisements

[i][b][i][b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Just how does granting current illegal immigrants legal residency jibe with 'going to the back of the line'?
Back of the line for citizenship, not residency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 04:31 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
[i][b][i][b]
Back of the line for citizenship, not residency.
Really is there that much of a difference? Explain to me how this is in any way fair to the Hmong?

Former U.S. Ambassador H. Eugene Douglas, U.S. Coordinator for Refugee Affairs, stated: “Today, there are thousands of Hmong refugees still in Thailand awaiting resettlement abroad or a chance to return to their beloved Laos in safety and freedom. Recently, untold hundreds of Laotian Hmong refugees have been taken from their camps inside Thailand and forcibly returned to Laos where they face a dangerous if not fatal reception by the Laotian authorities. T
Media-Newswire.com - Press Release Distribution - PR Agency

But perhaps they are less deserving then those who can simply walk across the border?

Old 01-22-2009, 05:08 PM

330 posts, read 970,079 times
Quote:
Helping our neighbor in it's already improving economic development is a good long term goal to keep to slow illegal immigration from there.
I never understood why we relocated our economy to China versus working with people at our southern border? I don't how it's cost effective to have stuff shipped half way across the world, versus having it ready on our southern border. Why would we work with a communist country versus working with our southern neighbors. If we're going to work with communist nations, then the Cuba embargo should stop right?

Sumwon pleez esplane tu mi pourfahvore <-----my spainglish baby.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Really is there that much of a difference? Explain to me how this is in any way fair to the Hmong?

Former U.S. Ambassador H. Eugene Douglas, U.S. Coordinator for Refugee Affairs, stated: “Today, there are thousands of Hmong refugees still in Thailand awaiting resettlement abroad or a chance to return to their beloved Laos in safety and freedom. Recently, untold hundreds of Laotian Hmong refugees have been taken from their camps inside Thailand and forcibly returned to Laos where they face a dangerous if not fatal reception by the Laotian authorities. T
Media-Newswire.com - Press Release Distribution - PR Agency

But perhaps they are less deserving then those who can simply walk across the border?
Who said this was Hispanic specific?

This is as much to control our own immigtation problem rather than just rewarding people.
There are lots of Hmong people in this country. Many probably illegally.

Last edited by antialphabet; 01-22-2009 at 05:29 PM..

Old 01-22-2009, 05:57 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times
Quote:
Who said this was Hispanic specific?

This is as much to control our own immigtation problem rather than just rewarding people.
There are lots of Hmong people in this country. Many probably illegally.
Where do you get Hispanic in my post? Isn't it true that most illegals come over the Southern border? Isn't true that the border patrol recently arrested Chinese nationals attempting to enter the US illegally?
I do realize very clearly that Hispanics are not the only ethnic group that is represented in large numbers illegally in the US. But let's not equivocate.....Hispanics do in fact make up the largest percentage of the illegal population simply because it is easier for them to immigrate, and once here they certainly have a much more organized political lobbyist groups that are more then happy to 'represent' them.
I have yet to see Chinese, Hmong, Korean, Russian or Polish illegals marching for their 'rights' --- certainly not at the numbers of Hispanic illegals anyways.

But all of that is a nice way for you to not answer the question. By allowing illegals to stay here, the government is allowing them to circumvent the immigration system allowing more deserving peoples to wait --- and in the case of the Hmong, die.
I ask you again ---- tell me where that is fair? Explain how that is going to the back of the line?

Old 01-22-2009, 08:54 PM

291 posts, read 413,830 times
Folks thats the true crux of the matter so many still belive the quality of life in the usa is worth the cost of wait as well as the comitment to become a usa citizen?
I do know some family members from el salvador waiting for 13 years ,
so yes the real problem are the illegals that have no respect or will to become legal law abiding citzens.
I still belive the usa is the best place in the world to be.I Love my country and think wow throw out the ones that have taken such extreme advantage of us.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:34 AM

103 posts, read 186,734 times
Create Secure Borders: Protect the integrity of our borders. Support additional personnel, infrastructure and technology on the border and at our ports of entry.

Improve Our Immigration System: Fix the dysfunctional immigration bureaucracy and increase the number of legal immigrants to keep families together and meet the demand for jobs that employers cannot fill.

Remove Incentives to Enter Illegally: Remove incentives to enter the country illegally by cracking down on employers who hire undocumented immigrants.

Bring People Out of the Shadows: Support a system that allows undocumented immigrants who are in good standing to pay a fine, learn English, and go to the back of the line for the opportunity to become citizens.

Work with Mexico: Promote economic development in Mexico to decrease illegal immigration.

#1 Create Secure Borders: Awesome, this is so excellent – fences, immediate repatriation for those who can run fast enough to escape the first layer of border control – just an incredible goal. I’ve yet to see the Obama plan for landmines, but I have great faith he’ll get these going. Just incredibly strong plan!

#2 Improve our immigration system: Oh yeh! Awesome – this sounds great, keep the families together – deport everyone such that they can be together with their families in Mexico. Just incredibly brilliant!

#3 Remove incentives to enter illegally: Mine field reference in item #1 and, oh … sorry, electroshock therapy, followed by being dropped back into Mexico from 39,000 ft. Again, awesomely strong plan.

#4 Bring people out of the shadows: This is excellent, after any landmine goes off, a bright light should be shone in the area. After the individual who successfully illegally immigrates needs to be brought out of the shadows, learning enough English to appreciate their deportation would be just excellent. Again, I’m so impressed by this plan. I just can’t believe I failed to submit my absentee ballot for President Obama. Had I only known of this most excellent plan, I’d have paid the postage.

#5 Work with Mexico: This is the key, working with Mexico; they keep their citizens on their side of the border, just an incredible plan.

Overall, Obama is just awesome, brilliant and this plan is bound to be the hugest winner ever!

Old 01-23-2009, 09:13 AM

2,095 posts, read 2,580,582 times
hmm.. there is nothing in Obama's plan about changing birthright citizenship. Citizenship should only be granted if one parent is a citizen or legal immigrant. If both parents are here illegally, then the child should be considered a citizen of the home country of the parents.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:22 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
hmm.. there is nothing in Obama's plan about changing birthright citizenship. Citizenship should only be granted if one parent is a citizen or legal immigrant. If both parents are here illegally, then the child should be considered a citizen of the home country of the parents.
That will probably be changed.........just that those extant Anchor Babies (prior to an arbitrary cutoff) will most likely be grandfathered in as US citizens.

In all fairness: deporting the illegal alien parents will in practice remove most of the Anchors from the USA.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Where do you get Hispanic in my post? Isn't it true that most illegals come over the Southern border? Isn't true that the border patrol recently arrested Chinese nationals attempting to enter the US illegally?
I do realize very clearly that Hispanics are not the only ethnic group that is represented in large numbers illegally in the US. But let's not equivocate.....Hispanics do in fact make up the largest percentage of the illegal population simply because it is easier for them to immigrate, and once here they certainly have a much more organized political lobbyist groups that are more then happy to 'represent' them.
I have yet to see Chinese, Hmong, Korean, Russian or Polish illegals marching for their 'rights' --- certainly not at the numbers of Hispanic illegals anyways.

But all of that is a nice way for you to not answer the question. By allowing illegals to stay here, the government is allowing them to circumvent the immigration system allowing more deserving peoples to wait --- and in the case of the Hmong, die.
I ask you again ---- tell me where that is fair? Explain how that is going to the back of the line?
Its not about being "fair". Very little is "fair" in politics.
I repeat, its not about being fair, and rewarding people you feel are less deserving than a group of people across the planet, its about controlling our illegal problem.
Weere not going to deport them all.
I interpret it as giving the illegal Mexicans, Guatemalans, Chinese, Indians, Russians, Koreans, etc a chance to pay a fee and start an immigration process(which is what? 5-10 years? Is that really "circumventing" the process?). Not pay a fine, and get sent back to their countries. Maybe I'm wrong.
How did you interpret it?

Last edited by antialphabet; 01-23-2009 at 01:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration