U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 10:48 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,822,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Create Secure Borders: Protect the integrity of our borders. Support additional personnel, infrastructure and technology on the border and at our ports of entry.

Improve Our Immigration System: Fix the dysfunctional immigration bureaucracy and increase the number of legal immigrants to keep families together and meet the demand for jobs that employers cannot fill.

Remove Incentives to Enter Illegally: Remove incentives to enter the country illegally by cracking down on employers who hire undocumented immigrants.

Bring People Out of the Shadows: Support a system that allows undocumented immigrants who are in good standing to pay a fine, learn English, and go to the back of the line for the opportunity to become citizens.

Work with Mexico: Promote economic development in Mexico to decrease illegal immigration.
Immigration
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 11:19 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,640,026 times
Are you sure that Obama is not a moderate Republican in disguise? ()

Old 01-22-2009, 11:30 AM

291 posts, read 353,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Oh YES.. Remove the incentives...And speak English..
its a start.

The shadows where criminals hide? He says that all laws need to be obeyed,thats easy deport the blood suckers.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:38 AM

1,636 posts, read 2,900,035 times
Sounds good to me.
Isn't the second item what is meant by "Immigration Reform"?
It doesn't say anthing about mass deprtations. It says giving those in good standing a chance to redeem themselves. I'm wondering if that means granting legal residency while they go through a hopefully improved and expedited process.
I like every one of these points, and it's not nearsighted either. Helping our neighbor in it's already improving economic development is a good long term goal to keep to slow illegal immigration from there.

I don't understand how this makes Obama a Republican.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:00 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,039,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Sounds good to me.
Isn't the second item what is meant by "Immigration Reform"?
It doesn't say anthing about mass deprtations. It says giving those in good standing a chance to redeem themselves. I'm wondering if that means granting legal residency while they go through a hopefully improved and expedited process.
I like every one of these points, and it's not nearsighted either. Helping our neighbor in it's already improving economic development is a good long term goal to keep to slow illegal immigration from there.

I don't understand how this makes Obama a Republican.
Just how does granting current illegal immigrants legal residency jibe with 'going to the back of the line'?

Old 01-22-2009, 12:03 PM

I do agree that the immigration process is insane with convulated paperwork, submitting the same info to three different agencies (all with their own fine, er I mean fees) and noone being able to say exactly what is required as proof of American citizenship in regard to foreign born adoptees. That snarl of beurocracy seariously needs a shakeup.
But really -- how is granting legal residency with the proviso they stay out of trouble and learn English in any way being sent to 'the back of the line'?
I imagine that there are people who stand outside American embassies around the world every day looking for that visa just might disagree with that concept of 'back of the line'.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:23 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,822,205 times
I agree that there is too much bureaucracy. However, I do not support amnesty by any means. These people willfully violated our laws, and should not be rewarded by being placed ahead of those in compliance. Nor, should they be absolved of their crimes simply by paying a fine. US citizens are imprisoned for committing fraud, identity theft, and tax evasion. Why should people who have no right to even be here, be given a clean slate?

Old 01-22-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I agree that there is too much bureaucracy. However, I do not support amnesty by any means. These people willfully violated our laws, and should not be rewarded by being placed ahead of those in compliance. Nor, should they be absolved of their crimes simply by paying a fine. US citizens are imprisoned for committing fraud, identity theft, and tax evasion. Why should people who have no right to even be here, be given a clean slate?
Just so. If they were truly to be sent to the 'back of the line', they would be deported. That would be even the playing field amongst those that followed and respected our immigration laws and those that did not.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:44 PM

956 posts, read 2,648,091 times
Quote:
"Improve Our Immigration System: Fix the dysfunctional immigration bureaucracy and increase the number of legal immigrants to keep families together and meet the demand for jobs that employers cannot fill."
Did anybody not see this one coming? Here we go...

Old 01-22-2009, 03:46 PM

956 posts, read 2,648,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I do agree that the immigration process is insane with convulated paperwork, submitting the same info to three different agencies (all with their own fine, er I mean fees) and noone being able to say exactly what is required as proof of American citizenship in regard to foreign born adoptees. That snarl of beurocracy seariously needs a shakeup.
But really -- how is granting legal residency with the proviso they stay out of trouble and learn English in any way being sent to 'the back of the line'?
I imagine that there are people who stand outside American embassies around the world every day looking for that visa just might disagree with that concept of 'back of the line'.
What's insane is that we still allow people to come here. How many's enough? 300 million? 400? A billion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or