U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 11:00 PM

4,281 posts, read 9,277,556 times

Advertisements

Can some please tell how these people got away with this? Or did they?

Maywood, California - A Mexican flag was raised above a U.S. Post Office.
Montebello High, California - A Mexican flag was raised above the school (by students) over an upsided down American flag.
Houston, Texas - A high school principal raised the Mexican flag above the school beneath the American and Texas flags.

I'm sorry, but this is just plain wrong. I was always taught to respect the country I was in and show that same respect to their flag. Maybe more Americans from East to West should start flying their flag outside their homes, business, community centers etc to show that this is America
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 11:52 PM

1,701 posts, read 5,847,515 times
Maybe some of them are patriotic and proud of their homeland country, is there anything wrong with that?! The United States of America is not the only country on the face of the planet, there are people of different nationalities. Because you fly another nation's flag within our borders, doesn't have any correlation with disrespecting this nation. Not to mention, HR4437 was a very threatening bill, and came off as racist to many Latino Americans. You don't want the racist label back in America, at least I don't.

Ignorance is blinding.

Last edited by dusesean1986; 03-12-2007 at 12:05 AM..

Old 03-12-2007, 06:40 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,709,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
Maybe some of them are patriotic and proud of their homeland country, is there anything wrong with that?! The United States of America is not the only country on the face of the planet, there are people of different nationalities. Because you fly another nation's flag within our borders, doesn't have any correlation with disrespecting this nation. Not to mention, HR4437 was a very threatening bill, and came off as racist to many Latino Americans. You don't want the racist label back in America, at least I don't.

Ignorance is blinding.
No. YOUR ignorance is blinding. Has it ever occured to you that the US Post Office is a government agency? Why should a Mexican flag be flying over a US Post Office? Why don't you take a moment to educate yourself about the issues before posting such nonsense? You endlessly harangue others yet are unable to come up with one valid reason why your beloved illegals should be allowed to stay here. Kindly stop trolling.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:54 AM

3,861 posts, read 7,416,007 times
Quote:

Ignorance is blinding.
No other flag besides the American and state flags need to be flown on public property. PERIOD! Fly it at home!

Old 03-12-2007, 09:04 AM

dusesean1986 I respect your views like I do everybody elses. Don't forget, and I am presuming that you live in the United States of America, that it is this country that rightly gives you the freedoms that you so richly deserve to express your opinions.
No and I mean NO other flag other than Old Glory should be flown above the U.S Capitol building, U.S. White House or any other United States government building. It's the same as NO other flag should be flown above the United Kingdom's Houses of Parliament, Buckingham Palace or any other state building, than the Union Jack. It all comes down to RESPECT for that country and it's national symbol.
I fly the flag of my country of origin discreetly (yes I am a legal immigrant). I am proud of my heritage but I would never DISRESPECT the United States of America that has welcomed me with open arms.

You are right though, ignorance is blinding, but those people I referred to in my original post are the blinded ones!

Old 03-12-2007, 09:35 AM

238 posts, read 131,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
No. YOUR ignorance is blinding. Has it ever occured to you that the US Post Office is a government agency? Why should a Mexican flag be flying over a US Post Office? Why don't you take a moment to educate yourself about the issues before posting such nonsense? You endlessly harangue others yet are unable to come up with one valid reason why your beloved illegals should be allowed to stay here. Kindly stop trolling.

The United States Postal Service (USPS) is an "independent establishment of the executive branch" of the United States Government

I second that...just the U.S. Flag!

Old 03-12-2007, 09:51 AM

1,701 posts, read 5,847,515 times
TellyTea,

If there were a bill threatening all French-Americans to be deported, I would be extremely concerned and feel very threatened. My ancestors were primarly French, and I believe there would be unbelievable anger within the French community. Why would it be any different with illegal immigrants? Do you believe some of us would march and protest, and some would take it to an extremely inappropriate level?

I agree placing your flag above the United States on the Post Office, or the federal building you were referring to is unacceptable and going too far. It's an isolated incident, are you going to walk away feeling all illegal immigrants are disrespectful and dislike the United States, just because a few made a poor decision?

I could be from Mexico, and see a couple kids with lighter fluid burning the Mexican flag in a humorous way. I could go back to Mexico and tell everyone the folks in America dislike and have no respect for Mexico or Mexicans. I believe that would be politically incorrect.

-Sean

Old 03-12-2007, 10:34 AM

483 posts, read 1,746,559 times
Montebello High, California - A Mexican flag was raised above the school (by students) over an upsided down American flag.

Probably an act of protest.

Houston, Texas - A high school principal raised the Mexican flag above the school beneath the American and Texas flags.

Was there a big Mexican holiday going on? If there are a lot of Mexican students in the school, why not? As long as the American flag is on top, there's no problem.

No other flag besides the American and state flags need to be flown on public property.

I grew up in a town full of French-Canadians, and the Canadian flag appeared outside of schools and city hall, under the American flag. Here in Boston, all kinds of flags fly outside of City Hall, depending on what's going on and who is visiting.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:
TellyTea,

If there were a bill threatening all French-Americans to be deported, I would be extremely concerned and feel very threatened. My ancestors were primarly French, and I believe there would be unbelievable anger within the French community. Why would it be any different with illegal immigrants? Do you believe some of us would march and protest, and some would take it to an extremely inappropriate level?

I agree placing your flag above the United States on the Post Office, or the federal building you were referring to is unacceptable and going too far. It's an isolated incident, are you going to walk away feeling all illegal immigrants are disrespectful and dislike the United States, just because a few made a poor decision?

I could be from Mexico, and see a couple kids with lighter fluid burning the Mexican flag in a humorous way. I could go back to Mexico and tell everyone the folks in America dislike and have no respect for Mexico or Mexicans. I believe that would be politically incorrect.

-Sean
First and foremost you are an AMERICAN not French! Like you said, that is your heritage. I am not a believer of terms such as French American, German American ... pick a country and stick with it.

The incidents I referred to are not isolated. Unfortunately they are happening again and again in America.

I tell you what why don't you go to Mexico and fly the flag of the United States of America above one of their schools, national buildings and see what happens. It would be interesting to how they would feel about that.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:57 AM

405 posts, read 1,130,360 times
Quote:
TellyTea, If there were a bill threatening all French-Americans to be deported, I would be extremely concerned and feel very threatened. My ancestors were primarly French, and I believe there would be unbelievable anger within the French community. Why would it be any different with illegal immigrants? Do you believe some of us would march and protest, and some would take it to an extremely inappropriate level? -Sean
One word - ILLEGAL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or