U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-28-2009, 10:32 PM
 
608 posts, read 881,125 times
Reputation: 64

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Bottom line:

It is high time to close/lock at least our southern border, cancel birthright citizenship for Anchor Babies as well as make English our official language along with using any law in the LE toolbox to deport any illegal alien caught.
This is the problem with the US, we do things half *****ed. If we are to secure the border it should be all borders. Otherwise we are wasting our time and money and should pursue an alternate method for some sort of control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-28-2009, 11:02 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
This is the problem with the US, we do things half *****ed. If we are to secure the border it should be all borders. Otherwise we are wasting our time and money and should pursue an alternate method for some sort of control.
True to a degree, but not altogether. ANY fence or 'barrier' of any kind...whether it's 100% effective or 80%....will have SOME positive effect. Theoretically, a 500-mile fence on a 1000-mile border would mean that the personnel monitoring that border could concentrate on the 'open' areas, only patrolling the fence at intervals.

Totally 'sealing off' one border would free up at least SOME personnel to concentrate on the as-yet open "other" border.

Total enforcement is the ideal, but PARTIAL enforcement beats none at all. Any fence that can turn 1000 illegal crossings weekly into 100 crossings weekly may not be 'perfect'...but it's helping a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2009, 01:57 AM
 
197 posts, read 231,586 times
Reputation: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
There are so many illegal aliens squatting in Texas, I'm sure that the Americans whose neighborhoods have been invaded and destroyed consider it more of a 3rd world cesspool/barrio flavor. As the old saying goes "one man's junk . . . . ."

Stereotyping is a function of the lesser people, in the past, until the opposition of american apartheid in the late 60's, it was more evident, luckily for us, only an insignificant amount of angry, disinfranchised individuals persist, and are looked down by other americans. Instead of wasting our time trying to denigrate people, we should put our efforts
in helping our own poor families, and the ubiquitous homeless people, that
fill the streets of every city in the US, which has been a problem for more than 100 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2009, 06:13 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mori-vivi View Post
Stereotyping is a function of the lesser people, in the past, until the opposition of american apartheid in the late 60's, it was more evident, luckily for us, only an insignificant amount of angry, disinfranchised individuals persist, and are looked down by other americans. Instead of wasting our time trying to denigrate people, we should put our efforts
in helping our own poor families, and the ubiquitous homeless people, that
fill the streets of every city in the US, which has been a problem for more than 100 years.
The key word being that the above folks are Americans-----------illegal aliens need to be tossed out and have their assets seized as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2009, 06:15 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
This is the problem with the US, we do things half *****ed. If we are to secure the border it should be all borders. Otherwise we are wasting our time and money and should pursue an alternate method for some sort of control.
The reality is that most of our illegals do indeed come up from Mexico; common sense dictates shutting off a raging river first vs. a small creek if in danger of flooding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2009, 04:19 PM
 
43 posts, read 45,937 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mori-vivi View Post
Assimilate to what???, America remains a very divided country, you still see a lot of communities that are dominated by one or another culture anywhere in the United States, more important they become more ethnic as time goes by, I can mention many italians, greek, russian, portuguese, etc. communities, not to mention predominatly hispanic, or african american commuunities, who are we kidding here??, do you ever see a more divided community than every sunday at church?? if it comes to assimilate to a more or less anglo white, then, what could that be, someone that behaves more like a trailer park dweller, or more suburb like.
For the hispanic immigrants the answer should be easy, assimilate with
your own community ......
True, melting pot was just another marketing euphemism, the reality is quite different, we are multicultural, antagonistic, and increasingly hispanic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2009, 04:36 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,897,260 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mori-vivi View Post
Stereotyping is a function of the lesser people, in the past, until the opposition of american apartheid in the late 60's, it was more evident, luckily for us, only an insignificant amount of angry, disinfranchised individuals persist, and are looked down by other americans. Instead of wasting our time trying to denigrate people, we should put our efforts
in helping our own poor families, and the ubiquitous homeless people, that
fill the streets of every city in the US, which has been a problem for more than 100 years.
Tell it to the mexican and latin American nationals who kill, steal and destroy all things America and American. They stereotype themselves. I simply post the articles that confirms what they really are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2009, 04:53 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by boricuita View Post
True, melting pot was just another marketing euphemism, the reality is quite different, we are multicultural, antagonistic, and increasingly hispanic.
And being antagonistic is backfiring against Latinos as a group.

Remember those idiotic illegal immigrants' 'rights' marches back in May 2006? That woke up a sleeping giant.

Too; as the economy tanks------------an inordinate amount of the anger here in the USA by people of any race/ethnicity will be directed against illegal aliens and their enablers.

Addendum: if Mexico implodes (which it may with its drug wars, etc); we may wind up taking over at least the northern tier of Mx states to try to forestall anarchy on our southern border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2009, 05:29 PM
 
Location: Orange County, California
1,017 posts, read 2,641,339 times
Reputation: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And being antagonistic is backfiring against Latinos as a group.

Remember those idiotic illegal immigrants' 'rights' marches back in May 2006? That woke up a sleeping giant.

Too; as the economy tanks------------an inordinate amount of the anger here in the USA by people of any race/ethnicity will be directed against illegal aliens and their enablers.

Addendum: if Mexico implodes (which it may with its drug wars, etc); we may wind up taking over at least the northern tier of Mx states to try to forestall anarchy on our southern border.
Come'on AB, don't you know FEAR went out with the last administration??!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2009, 05:32 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
Come'on AB, don't you know FEAR went out with the last administration??!!
I stand by what I stated and I voted for Obama as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top