U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 07:04 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,624,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yldrosie View Post
It seems strange to me that when the US was predominately white, Pre -1965, this was the strongest country on earth. .
Maybe so...but we couldn't play basketball, we couldn't dance, our music was unimaginative, our cuisine came mostly from cans, and our weddings were HORRENDOUS affairs, with stodgy musicians, boring speeches, and nothing to eat but little sandwiches with the crusts cut off. (and if you DID eat one, you'd better not smack your lips !)....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 11:13 PM

2,876 posts, read 6,021,016 times
Hmm...let's see.....improve our education system and encourage more parental participation or bring in foreigners to "save"/replace Americans..

Old 01-27-2009, 11:18 PM

2,876 posts, read 6,021,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Maybe so...but we couldn't play basketball, we couldn't dance, our music was unimaginative, our cuisine came mostly from cans, and our weddings were HORRENDOUS affairs, with stodgy musicians, boring speeches, and nothing to eat but little sandwiches with the crusts cut off. (and if you DID eat one, you'd better not smack your lips !)....
You do realize that the majority of your sarcasm is way over the heads of most of the population right? lol

Old 01-28-2009, 03:12 AM

216 posts, read 451,093 times
Quote:
I thought the discussion was about LEGAL immigrants in silicon valley. Do we have ILLEGAL immigrants working in hitech industries???
The overwhelming majority immigrants from Mexico/Central America both legal and illegal who are living in California are not smart enough to work at a high tech industry in Silicon Valley because most of them did not even finish high school back in Mexico/Central America let alone go to college. Most Mexicans/Central Americans that you see working in Silicon Valley are the janitors, LOL.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:06 AM

1,245 posts, read 1,229,400 times
This whole thread is what the book "The World is Flat" is based on. Now that the internet has created a global market where everyone is equal, American's no longer have an advantage over other people.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:23 AM

3,981 posts, read 9,249,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Hmm...let's see.....improve our education system and encourage more parental participation or bring in foreigners to "save"/replace Americans..
that isnt happening. so, since it isnt, we might as well steal the rest of the worlds brightest.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:09 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,646,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeldude View Post
This whole thread is what the book "The World is Flat" is based on. Now that the internet has created a global market where everyone is equal, American's no longer have an advantage over other people.
The more things chnage; the more they remain the same...........we have had 'real time' communications for over 100 years now-----------it was the telegraph back then.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:24 PM

68 posts, read 126,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Not according to this Duke study.
Unfortunately, many people who would enter the field of engineering are being discouraged due to the prevalence of corporations recruiting engineers from India and China. The same holds true for the IT field. I wonder which profession will be next on the chopping block.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
This is true. I know two young American engineers who are struggling to say the least and tell me exactly what you've stated. One is now employed as a patent examiner for the US patent office. The other works for Radio Shack.
Hey, I know an ex-IT guy working in the U.S. Patent Office. I also know of a Radio Shack ex-geek.

I have family near Silicon Valley and much of the venture capital is drying up for a lot of the remaining web 2.0 R&D-type projects out there, too.
I haven’t worked a job directly related to my comp sci degree for about half a decade now. I think the number of worms/viruses/trojan horses out there will only increase as more techies are shelved. Idle hands and all that...

I once worked for a small all-Indian tech firm that mainly hired me for my English skills. They had me doing documentation (a dead-end proposition). As far as I could tell, they basically won all the contracts by low-balling during bidding (and maybe by being a minority-owned firm). The guy who ran the operation had a bunch of Hyderabad-/Secunderabad-based lackeys who lived in techie barracks housing and worked very long hours coding. Some of these people were probably even in their 30s. They had people working pretty much 24/7 because the time zones complemented one another.

The tech culture was very different than what I was used to. They were incredibly deferential and servile almost to the point of sycophancy in dealing with the (mostly) white men/women who awarded them the contracts. And the government/contract people ate it up. It was like a pathetic recapitulation of British colonialism. As a typical opinionated Westerner, I didn’t last too long in that culture. Plus their code was s--t and documenting their product was sheer hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
With the economic slow down this article is disturbing. We just are not building right now and most architects/engineers we know are out of work with projects being placed on the shelf due to lack of credit/funding. It would be insane to import more workers without any hope of finding work.
Protectionism has become a dirty word, even when it applies to job protection. Maybe we need to change the language and debate around it. Our survival depends on it. The use of cheap foreign labor is corroding our economy and society.

Last edited by AmericanAnomie; 01-28-2009 at 02:24 PM.. Reason: minor semantics

Old 01-28-2009, 02:55 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,624,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
You do realize that the majority of your sarcasm is way over the heads of most of the population right? lol
Not ALL of them, I'm afraid. Three have asked me whether I'd "like my @ss kicked"...(given me a CHOICE in the matter, as it were)....one informed me that "if I was so unhappy here, I was free to leave"....and another one called me a 'trowel'..(could have been an angry, nativist bricklayer, I suppose).

Old 03-03-2009, 12:40 PM

3,981 posts, read 9,249,351 times
Why Skilled Immigrants Are Leaving the U.S. (http://news.yahoo.com/s/bw/20090303/bs_bw/feb2009tc20090228990934 - broken link)

this is bad for the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or