Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 02:24 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,118,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
That is true, I work in the graphic arts industry. It is now digital and can be sent at the speed of light anywhere in the world and it is. I have told people if it can be digitized forget about it. Plumbing or lawyering is all the rage.
Even the latter could in theory be outsourced as well with a change in the law (provided said attorneys pass the state bar exam).

Telecommuting is a double edged sword.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 02:35 PM

8,629 posts, read 9,128,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Even the latter could in theory be outsourced as well with a change in the law (provided said attorneys pass the state bar exam).

Telecommuting is a double edged sword.
It is a double edged sword and "You get what you pay for". It is incredible to me the lack of quality people will pay for to save a buck.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:08 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,554,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
It is a double edged sword and "You get what you pay for". It is incredible to me the lack of quality people will pay for to save a buck.
Mind-boggling isn’t it? My mother taught me to always look for quality in a product over cost, because you will pay more for it in the end by having to repeatedly repair it, or replace it. I have found this to be true.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:37 PM

16 posts, read 61,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yldrosie View Post
It seems strange to me that when the US was predominately white, Pre -1965, this was the strongest country on earth. Now, after years of immigration, we are rolling further and further down the slope to the third world. The more immigrants, the worse the country gets for the natives.
For natives? You mean native as in native americans from whom we took this country from?

Old 01-27-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringTexas View Post
For natives? You mean native as in native americans from whom we took this country from?
That gambit does not work either.

The pre Euro indigenous peoples came here in successive waves as well going by DNA testing on American Indians.

We will not even touch on what the Aztecs in present day Mexico did to weaker tribes/nations prior to the arrival of Cortez.

Just that the Euros; both Anglo and Hispanic were simply a bigger, badder group of 'Indians'.

The past is just that---------it cannot be changed. But; let what happened to the Navajo, Cherokee, Aztec, etc. serve as a warning that the USA needs to remain strong-------or, us Americans will be the next 'Indians' according to Darwinism (survival of the fittest).

Old 01-27-2009, 03:55 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,739,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
Daniel Lyons - Silicon Valley Wants to Stay On the Road to Prosperity - washingtonpost.com

The US simply does not produce enough engineers and scientist anymore. Until we start doing so, which seems unlikely, since kids today just want to get an MBA or work in the NBA, we will need to keep importing them as quickly as we can.

After all, if we dont have them working for us, they are probably competing against us. And we are starting to lose some of those battles...

With the economic slow down this article is disturbing. We just are not building right now and most architects/engineers we know are out of work with projects being placed on the shelf due to lack of credit/funding. It would be insane to import more workers without any hope of finding work.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
That gambit does not work either.

The pre Euro indigenous peoples came here in successive waves as well going by DNA testing on American Indians.

We will not even touch on what the Aztecs in present day Mexico did to weaker tribes/nations prior to the arrival of Cortez.

Just that the Euros; both Anglo and Hispanic were simply a bigger, badder group of 'Indians'.

The past is just that---------it cannot be changed. But; let what happened to the Navajo, Cherokee, Aztec, etc. serve as a warning that the USA needs to remain strong-------or, us Americans will be the next 'Indians' according to Darwinism (survival of the fittest).
"survival of the fittest", I guess that is exactly what is happening here. I think we will be better off if we (including me) upgraded our skills and meet the challenge instead of spending time having this useless conversation without understanding the current day economy and the global forces which drive it.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringTexas View Post
"survival of the fittest", I guess that is exactly what is happening here. I think we will be better off if we (including me) upgraded our skills and meet the challenge instead of spending time having this useless conversation without understanding the current day economy and the global forces which drive it.
Flip side: how about the USA enforcing its laws against illegal aliens? God knows that Mexico does just that against its own illegals from Guatemala.

As for Darwinism; a 'joker in the deck' is when a nation controls its birthrate hence no need to attempt to conquer new lands. Hint, hint, most of the Muslim world with the notable exception of Iran.

Back to improving one's skills: even that is a crap shoot anymore; 30 years ago the mantra was to get a college degree..........fast forward to today and with the glut of underemployed graduates out there----------maybe a person would be better off learning a trade, rhetorically speaking?

Old 01-27-2009, 05:01 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,880,183 times

YouTube - PERM Fake Job Ads defraud Americans to secure green cards fo

Old 01-27-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Flip side: how about the USA enforcing its laws against illegal aliens? God knows that Mexico does just that against its own illegals from Guatemala.

As for Darwinism; a 'joker in the deck' is when a nation controls its birthrate hence no need to attempt to conquer new lands. Hint, hint, most of the Muslim world with the notable exception of Iran.

Back to improving one's skills: even that is a crap shoot anymore; 30 years ago the mantra was to get a college degree..........fast forward to today and with the glut of underemployed graduates out there----------maybe a person would be better off learning a trade, rhetorically speaking?
I thought the discussion was about LEGAL immigrants in silicon valley. Do we have ILLEGAL immigrants working in hitech industries???

You're right! 30 years ago the mantra was to get a college degree and you will be fine. But its 2008 (Yes 21st) century, things have changes and we just have to blame ourself for not adapting to those chages. Degree is not just enough these days. I work with some of the folks who spend 4 hours a days in personal development (obtaining certifications, attending workshops, seminars etc and keeping them one step ahead whaever way they can!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration