U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-27-2009, 04:51 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,897,260 times
Reputation: 1094

Advertisements

At her Senate confirmation hearing, Napolitano said there is a role for fencing around urban areas. "It helps prevent those who are crossing illegally from blending immediately into a town population," Napolitano told senators.

Officials have said the border security improvements - like the fence - are working, and fewer people are trying to illegally cross from Mexico into the United States. Some of that can be attributed to economic woes and fewer jobs in the U.S.

The fence has been controversial since its inception and has faced several lawsuits, none successful so far.

Congress authorized the fence in 2005 to help secure the border and slow illegal immigration. Lawmakers also gave the Homeland Security secretary the power to waive federal laws, such as environmental protections, when erecting the fence. Obama, as a senator, voted for the project.

Congress has set aside $2.7 billion for the fence since 2006. There's no estimate how much the entire system - the physical fence and the technology - will cost to build, let alone maintain.

The Sept. 11 terrorist attacks revived the immigration debate and advanced the idea of a border fence. Intelligence officials have said gaps along the Southwestern border could provide opportunities for terrorists to enter the country.

Boeing Co. has the contract for the technology portion of the fence, as well as for some construction work. The company's contract for the technology expires this year.
US-Mexico border fence almost complete | Breaking News | Star-Telegram.com (http://www.star-telegram.com/190/story/1168032.html - broken link)

HOORAY! I really wish they had gotten the blue prints from Israel and built the fence around the entire perimeter of the southern border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-27-2009, 10:25 PM
 
Location: Bethesda
2,876 posts, read 6,016,777 times
Reputation: 1218
Great news! I honestly can't believe it's been completed with all the opposition and lawsuits against it. As well as all the critics who claim that we shouldn't bother building it because some illegals will find ways to get in anyway.

Well, if the fence only keeps out 75% of Mexicans trying to gain illegal entry than it is worth it in my opinion. Hey, even 25%! Now we just need to expand the fence. Glad to hear Obama voted for the project, maybe we can see our borders become even more secure under the new administration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2009, 10:32 PM
 
Location: Washington DC
380 posts, read 933,425 times
Reputation: 254
It is a shame this fence had to be built, but after 9-11 it is essential, and in addition due to the corrupt Mexican government in controlling drug trafficking. As for fence opponents, a lot of nations in the world have border fences, since we are such a free society for folks once they arrive here, it is the only option-still, the number one reason so many Mexicans and others came here illegally was due to the corrupt American businesses which knowingly hired illegals. This is where Bush failed to live up to a great Republican President Eisenhower-who in the 1950's punished businesses which hired illegals by seizing their property and imprisoning the wrong doers. This did much for controlling things and was practiced for a while longer, then suddenly it was just stopped. Glad the fence is up, sad too many of our countrymen were so dishonest that we were forced to build it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2009, 05:10 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpotater58 View Post
It is a shame this fence had to be built, but after 9-11 it is essential, and in addition due to the corrupt Mexican government in controlling drug trafficking. As for fence opponents, a lot of nations in the world have border fences, since we are such a free society for folks once they arrive here, it is the only option-still, the number one reason so many Mexicans and others came here illegally was due to the corrupt American businesses which knowingly hired illegals. This is where Bush failed to live up to a great Republican President Eisenhower-who in the 1950's punished businesses which hired illegals by seizing their property and imprisoning the wrong doers. This did much for controlling things and was practiced for a while longer, then suddenly it was just stopped. Glad the fence is up, sad too many of our countrymen were so dishonest that we were forced to build it.
As you stated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2009, 05:27 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
Reputation: 17688
It seems like the people opposing the fence either:
a. Don't pay taxes or
b. are sucking the system or have relatives that are

Enough already, build that sucker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2009, 05:38 PM
 
Location: Lake Norman, North Carolina
1,213 posts, read 1,397,857 times
Reputation: 392
Before anyone gets too euphoric over the completion of the border fence, Glenn Spencer, founder of the watchdog group American Border Patrol, claims that of the 526 miles of border fence that DHS is claiming to have build, 248 miles are only vehicle barriers that don't really stop vehicles let alone people. That leaves about 200 miles of fencing constructed as actually mandated by the Secure Fence Act. Just more of the usual gov lying to the sheeple by the DHS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2009, 05:40 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
Reputation: 17688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguer View Post
Before anyone gets too euphoric over the completion of the border fence, Glenn Spencer, founder of the watchdog group American Border Patrol, claims that of the 526 miles of border fence that DHS is claiming to have build, 248 miles are only vehicle barriers that don't really stop vehicles let alone people. That leaves about 200 miles of fencing constructed as actually mandated by the Secure Fence Act. Just more of the usual gov lying to the sheeple by the DHS?
Well, the career progression of millions of Mexican nationals depends on the fence being halted!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2009, 07:00 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguer View Post
Before anyone gets too euphoric over the completion of the border fence, Glenn Spencer, founder of the watchdog group American Border Patrol, claims that of the 526 miles of border fence that DHS is claiming to have build, 248 miles are only vehicle barriers that don't really stop vehicles let alone people. That leaves about 200 miles of fencing constructed as actually mandated by the Secure Fence Act. Just more of the usual gov lying to the sheeple by the DHS?
Something must indeed be working though: apparently the influx of illegals from Mexico* has dropped significantly. Whether it is due to fewer actually trying to cross, more apprehensions, or the ones here are hunkering down (prior to being picked up/deported) is tough to say.

*not just Mx nationals either; many Guatemalans pass themselves off as 'Mexican'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2009, 05:21 PM
 
Location: Tucson/Nogales
16,477 posts, read 20,009,944 times
Reputation: 22402
Now just wait a minute here! Let's not jump to conclusions as to why this fence is being built! Perhaps our leaders know something we don't, that the economy is going to get much, much worse than predicted. and they're fearful that desperate Americans are going to run south to Mexico or Central America to find work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2009, 05:27 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,897,260 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Now just wait a minute here! Let's not jump to conclusions as to why this fence is being built! Perhaps our leaders know something we don't, that the economy is going to get much, much worse than predicted. and they're fearful that desperate Americans are going to run south to Mexico or Central America to find work.
Mexicans and latin Americans don't even want to live in their own cesspools. I'm willing to bet you that the majority of Americans would rather burn in hell. I certainly would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top