U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2009, 05:37 AM

32 posts, read 167,141 times

Advertisements

Near my home there is a long commercial street where every day of the year there is nearly 100 likely illegal aliens standing around looking for work. They stand there wearing a spring jacket with no hat in 20 degree cold waiting and waiting for someone to come by and pick them up to do some type of work. I drive down the street all day and see the same ones standing in the same spot all day every day. What a sad situation.

I have to assume that they are being picked up every once in a while or they would not bother to stand there. But I never see any of them hired.

Do you ever see day laborers picked up for work and would you hire one yourself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 05:39 AM

6,258 posts, read 12,587,428 times
Depot stores usually have lots outside.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:40 AM

32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
There are so many now that quite often other Illegal Aliens are hiring each other. This is the so-called underground economy that we've allowed to exist today. Couple that with the fact that much if not most of that money travels out as remittances to other Countries and you can see the net drain on our economy.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:08 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Short answer....Yes.

(Legal Disclaimer: Undoubtedly, this thread will soon see a post which challenges its title. Someone will ask "ah-HAH !! How do you KNOW that what you saw involves illegals? How do you KNOW this wasn't a movie company making a FILM about illegals? How do you know the 'day laborers' you saw weren't REALLY American college students conducting an experiment in 'black market economics'. In fact, how do you know that these weren't simply male prostitutes being picked up by wealthy 'cruisers' in pickup trucks ?"

The answer of course, is that NOBODY does know....not for sure.

But nevertheless, I'll stick my neck out and say. "Yes"..I have seen illegals hired for day jobs. In the past, in a far more 'relaxed' era, when illegals were far less controversial, I hired many myself. In those days it was considered a 'victimless crime', a 'win-win' for all parties, and many of these illegals were fine, hard-working people. I still know a number of them...mostly legal by now.

How do I KNOW the guys I hired were illegal? Because, in most cases they TOLD me so...many even asked for advice on this. Of course, they COULD have been lying to me...but I don't think they were.

In the end, though, it's true...you never KNOW who's illegal....can't be TOO sure about ANYTHING these days...it's ALMOST as scary as hiring a lawyer....

Last edited by macmeal; 01-28-2009 at 09:20 AM..

Old 01-28-2009, 09:16 AM

5,771 posts, read 6,967,531 times
We have such a small population of them here in the Pittsburgh Tri-State we don't even have them at the depot stores.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:31 AM

23,001 posts, read 31,949,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet nut View Post
Near my home there is a long commercial street where every day of the year there is nearly 100 likely illegal aliens standing around looking for work. They stand there wearing a spring jacket with no hat in 20 degree cold waiting and waiting for someone to come by and pick them up to do some type of work. I drive down the street all day and see the same ones standing in the same spot all day every day. What a sad situation.

I have to assume that they are being picked up every once in a while or they would not bother to stand there. But I never see any of them hired.

Do you ever see day laborers picked up for work and would you hire one yourself?
Yes i have seen day laborers get hired. A major highway (Rt. 236) in Annandale, VA has usually 30 or 40 day laborers looking for work in parking lots of certain stores. It's pretty busy during rush hour so they have good prospects by standing there.

I would NOT hire one. My neighborhood already has enough shady characters in it and is going through a crime spike and with all the horror stories i've heard about day laborers i'll pass. Plus, i live in an condo and have 2 capable property managers.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:42 AM

68 posts, read 126,807 times
Our local governments actually fund day laborer centers that cater largely to illegal immigrants. I know / know of plenty of people who have hired day laborers--homeowners and small business operations. It's very widespread. Some of the illegal day laborers likely get trickle-down government contract money due to sub-contracting obfuscation. (This is especially true of things like groundskeeping, construction, janitorial, and sanitation work, of course.)

Our county's/state's/region's support of illegal day laborers has been a source of great controversy; they used to congregate by Home Depots, 7-11s, etc. much to the dismay of business owners and neighbors. Many of the properties in the poorest cities/suburbs were bought by illiterate/semi-literate illegal immigrants through strawman purchasers and the like. And we have liberal bilingual ACORN activist youths trying to help them keep their houses, when these kids are probably postponing home ownership for themselves by being community activists and not attending grad programs in law or public policy administration. We even have county contract laws to help protect domestic workers (legal and illegal) from exploitation and non-living wages. It's interesting.

I agree that illegal immigrants (or formerly illegal immigrants who got sponsored for naturalization) often hire illegal immigrants. This is very common. Some of them exploit them badly, too.

The social experiment is beginning to strain our communities, though.

There has been a string of violent murders over the last year committed by illegal immigrant day laborers, so even our bleeding heart Democratic stalwart is starting to wonder if it's a good idea to promote "sanctuary" policies.

And I am doing more and more manual/DIY labor myself as my socio-economic status has gone down a few notches. I can handle it. Just because I have a college degree doesn't mean I can't risk a hernia to save some money.

Last edited by AmericanAnomie; 01-28-2009 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 01-28-2009, 09:56 AM

68 posts, read 126,807 times
And another thing--in these enclaves of lawlessness (poor crime-ridden immigrant enclaves with lots of illegal aliens), the most lawless criminal elements are preying on the more honest, non-violent, clean-living illegal immigrants.

This is largely ignored by the media and our society. That's why the most assimilated legal and illegal immigrants are actually very upset about mass illegal immigration and the lawlessness it has engendered.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:32 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,687,743 times
I've watched many get hired (in So Cal) and there's not a snowball's chance in hell I'd hire one myself.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:42 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,658,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet nut View Post

Why should I hire a illegal day laborer when I can hire a able bodied American citizen. People hire illegal day laborers because they are cheap skates pure and simple. They want something for nothing. I believe in paying people a good wage for a honest days work. I have never had a problem finding a American citizen to do any number of odd jobs around my house. I always pay them well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or