Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 06:22 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,557,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Good point...and while occasionally, one person has been known to "murder" another, I can't remember the last time I heard of a person who "stole" someone. I thought Abraham Lincoln put that whole industry out of business in 1865...

Anyone who "stole or murdered a person" SHOULD get the attention of the authorities, I agree.
Admittedly, I haven't heard of "stole" in relation to a person since I was a kid. Perhaps it's a ‘black’ idiom, but it used to mean. . . . .

Stole
To punch someone in the face

Source: Urban Dictionary: stole

Perhaps that's what the poster meant. However, I hardly consider a punch to be as serious as murder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 09:14 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,905,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Pro illegal alien apologists' claims are growing more outlandish by the day---------methinks their desperation is starting to really show.
I just don't think a victimless crime should result in families being broken apart. You may cry boo-hoo, but seriously, what has illegal immigration done to you? I mean if there was a way to include them legally in some sort of guest worker program (insure that they have gainful employment, they pay taxes, and they are here legally) then I would be all for it. Look, they are already here. Breaking up the family unit is not conducive for a healthy enviroment for the children. The additional trauma will be a burden on them which, in turn, may lead to acts of aggression. These acts will cost us money (vandalism, theft, etc.).

I agree that illegal immigration is not good if left unchecked. However, is it possible to create a system in which you make it easier to enter legally? Like a guest worker program? Can we also give money to places like Mecca, CA or Santa Ana, CA to build up decent schools and healthcare? I don't want a costly fence. It is too expensive, the job creation will most likely be contracted out to companies who hire illegals, the irony will be astounding. I'm all for ironic situations, but this would be over the top. Also, it would reverse any gains we have made with our image abroad.

What if we ask large employers to sign onto this guest worker program. That way the corporations can recruit, if they so desire, and go through the proper legal channels. I mean it's a start.

Benicar: Really? Most identity theft in this nation occurs from nationals. Not immigrants. So my point is still valid. My friend was a victim of ID theft. It was an American. The vast majority of people who "steal" identifications are American.

I just think that illegal immigration paranoia has gotten out of control. I think that we as a nation need to reevaluate a lot of things. This is one of them. They still will come over regardless, so how do we not create an permenant underclass and include them as part of the middle class and have them spend and contribute to our economy? That really is the core issue.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:17 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,124,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
I just don't think a victimless crime should result in families being broken apart. You may cry boo-hoo, but seriously, what has illegal immigration done to you? I mean if there was a way to include them legally in some sort of guest worker program (insure that they have gainful employment, they pay taxes, and they are here legally) then I would be all for it. Look, they are already here. Breaking up the family unit is not conducive for a healthy enviroment for the children. The additional trauma will be a burden on them which, in turn, may lead to acts of aggression. These acts will cost us money (vandalism, theft, etc.).

I agree that illegal immigration is not good if left unchecked. However, is it possible to create a system in which you make it easier to enter legally? Like a guest worker program? Can we also give money to places like Mecca, CA or Santa Ana, CA to build up decent schools and healthcare? I don't want a costly fence. It is too expensive, the job creation will most likely be contracted out to companies who hire illegals, the irony will be astounding. I'm all for ironic situations, but this would be over the top. Also, it would reverse any gains we have made with our image abroad.

What if we ask large employers to sign onto this guest worker program. That way the corporations can recruit, if they so desire, and go through the proper legal channels. I mean it's a start.

Benicar: Really? Most identity theft in this nation occurs from nationals. Not immigrants. So my point is still valid. My friend was a victim of ID theft. It was an American. The vast majority of people who "steal" identifications are American.

I just think that illegal immigration paranoia has gotten out of control. I think that we as a nation need to reevaluate a lot of things. This is one of them. They still will come over regardless, so how do we not create an permenant underclass and include them as part of the middle class and have them spend and contribute to our economy? That really is the core issue.
ID theft is not a victimless crime. We have enough 'homegrown' criminals so why add in the losers here illegally as well??

And; if 'breaking up the family unit' concerns the parties involved so much-------------their US born children can accompany their parents back to the latter's home countries. Problem solved.

Quite frankly: I do not care what Mexico (the largest source of illegals) thinks of us-----------that nation needs to grow up and take care of its own.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:55 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,905,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
ID theft is not a victimless crime. We have enough 'homegrown' criminals so why add in the losers here illegally as well??

And; if 'breaking up the family unit' concerns the parties involved so much-------------their US born children can accompany their parents back to the latter's home countries. Problem solved.

Quite frankly: I do not care what Mexico (the largest source of illegals) thinks of us-----------that nation needs to grow up and take care of its own.
I never said it was. So why are you bringing it up? I don't think you understand what I'm saying. So let me try to explain.

Never once did I state that ID theft is victimless. My friend had $2,000 charged to her for tickets to Taiwan. So, I know firsthand. My point was that it is more common to have Americans commit said acts. Americans steal identifications to sell to illegals typically. So it still validates my point.
Regardless, this is a non-issue which I don't understand your fascination with.

Sure they can leave the first world to go to a developing nation. But, why? They will most likely will come back and now with a smaller skill set. So now we just increased those more in need of welfare. They now don't speak English, yet are American citizens. Problem not solved. The problem got worse.

You may not care what Mexico thinks of you, but Europe and Asia do. Image abroad has ramifications that we are starting to understand. In a global economy, we lose interests abroad if we can't market ourselves. This is part of the reason why China is winning over the Middle East and Africa. We look and are portrayed as evil, whereas China is the Cinderella of the third world. Europe despises China due to human rights abuses. However, Europe adores Brazil and India. BRIC is the name of the game. Our isolationist, nonchalant attitude is not winning friends. Our current hostility is definitely not helping matters.

I hope this clarifies things. Maybe might help if you look at both sides of the issue. Just a suggestion.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:42 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,406,785 times
Immigrants stealing U.S. Social Security numbers for jobs, not profits

http://img.iht.com/images/dot_h.gif (broken link)
By John Leland
Published: THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 7, 2006
http://img.iht.com/images/dot_h.gif (broken link)

Camber Lybbert thought it was a mistake when her bank told her that her daughter's Social Security number, issued by the U.S. government, was on their files for two credit cards and two auto loans, with an outstanding balance of more than $25,000.
Her daughter is 3 years old.
For Lybbert and her husband, Tyson, the call was the beginning of a five- month scramble trying to clear up their daughter's credit history. As it turned out, an illegal immigrant, Jose Tinoco, was using their daughter's stolen Social Security number, not in pursuit of a financial crime, but in order to get a job.
The numbers are used in the United States by the government to track employees for tax purposes.
"From what I've picked up, he wasn't using it maliciously," said Lybbert, who lives in Draper, Utah. "He was using it to have a job, to get a car, provide for his family. My husband's like, 'Don't you feel bad, you've ruined this guy's life?'

Immigrants stealing U.S. Social Security numbers for jobs, not profits - International Herald Tribune

Alderman's father released on bond.

Article from: Chicago Tribune (Chicago, IL) Article date: May 30, 2007 More results for: Father of Chicago official charged with selling fake ID | Copyright information (http://www.highbeam.com/doc/Common/Controls/# - broken link)COPYRIGHT 2007 Chicago Tribune. This material is published under license from the publisher through the Gale Group, Farmington Hills, Michigan. All inquiries regarding rights should be directed to the Gale Group. (Hide copyright information (http://www.highbeam.com/doc/Common/Controls/# - broken link)) Byline: Matt O'Connor
May 30--A Chicago alderman's father who is charged in an alleged fake documentation scheme was released on $50,000 bond today.
Elias Munoz, whose arrest Tuesday followed a federal raid in Chicago's Little Village neighborhood several weeks ago, was released after an initial appearance before U.S. Magistrate Judge Geraldine Soat Brown.
The father of Ald. Ricardo Munoz (22nd), Elias Munoz was ordered to return to court Monday to post property to secure the $50,000 bond.
Munoz will be staying with his daughter Nancy Munoz-Seelentag, who will act as his custodian to ensure he stays out o trouble, officials said. Until his return to court ...

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-164231327.html

ome » News » Crime Identity thief, illegal immigrant, businessman - a double life

Posted to: Crime

© September 6, 2007
Miguel Angel Ortiz By Tim McGlone
The Virginian-Pilot
After fleeing poverty in his native Uruguay, Miguel Angel Ortiz settled in Hampton Roads and established himself as an expert welder. He formed his own business and obtained shipyard contracts worth more than $1 million.
Married with three children, the youngest about 10 months old, he had been living in a stately waterfront home in Virginia Beach. Two full-size bronze lions were perched out front near a four-tier fountain. He drove a Hummer and had a spare in the driveway.
Ortiz built this life using someone else’s identity and after racking up an extensive arrest record in this country.
His case raises new questions about how an illegal immigrant who served jail time had not only remained in the country undetected but built a corporation and amassed wealth.
Through interviews and court records, including Ortiz’s confession, The Virginian-Pilot uncovered the life of a man who exploited loopholes in the immigration system and skirted detection – until this year.
Ortiz was arrested in April after he applied to have his passport renewed under the name Alfredo Rivera Jr. The State Department began investigating after determining that the picture on the passport did not match the picture of Rivera in the agency’s files. Ortiz’s life has since unraveled.
After pleading guilty in May to identity theft charges, Ortiz was sentenced Aug. 20 in Norfolk’s U.S. District Court to 27 months in prison. Upon release, he will be processed for deportation.
Ortiz, 41, first arrived in the United States from Uruguay in 1987. He left and returned, illegally, in 1992.
To remain in the country, Ortiz bought a birth certificate and Social Security card in 1996 for $8,000 in New York, according to court records. Ortiz assumed the identity of Alfredo Rivera Jr., the name on the documents. At the time, the real Rivera was living in New York. It’s unclear from the records whether the two men know each other or whether Rivera ever found out his identity was stolen. He could not be located.
Ortiz obtained a passport in Rivera’s name and moved to Virginia Beach, where he began dating Gloria Hill, who comes from a family of Ford plant workers.
His first brush with the law came in 1998 when Virginia Beach police arrested him on a car-theft charge. The case eventually was dropped. A check of his fingerprints never revealed his true identity.

http://hamptonroads.com/node/323011

Prior to illegal aliens coming to this country identity theft was rare and virtually non-existent.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:04 AM

200 posts, read 349,708 times
Maybe, all children of a parent that robbed a bank should sue Obama too. Let's see how much sympathy he holds for them. Every American needs to start screaming in emails and phone calls. You know what they say, "The Squeaky Wheel Gets The Grease."

So, far it's only the Pro-illegal alien supporters who are yelling, while the dumb, docile American sits back and ignores the fact his country is being invaded from it's souther border.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Federal law enforcement estimates that 10 percent to 30 percent of illegal aliens are actually apprehended and 10 percent to 20 percent of drugs are seized. Therefore, in 2005, as many as 10 to 4 million illegal aliens crossed into the United States; and as much as 2.2 to 1.1 million kilograms of cocaine and 11.6 to 5.8 million kilograms of marijuana entered the United States.

HOUSE COMMITTEE ON HOMELAND SECURITY
Page 3.
http://www.house.gov/mccaul/pdf/Investigaions-Border-Report.pdf

Last edited by Vlad-The-Impaler; 01-31-2009 at 11:17 AM..

Old 01-31-2009, 11:07 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,406,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad-The-Impaler View Post
Maybe, all children of a parent that robbed a bank should sue Obama too. Let's see how much sympathy he holds for them. Every American needs to start screaming in emails and phone calls. You know what they say, "The Squeaky Wheel Gets The Grease."

So, far it's only the Pro-illegal alien supports who are yelling, while the dumb, docile American sits back and ignore the fact his country is being invaded from it's souther border.
Agreed. Hopefully, now that many of the obviously dumb and docile have lost their homes and jobs, they are forced to focus on the cause and effect of illegal immigration. The costs that are incurred as a result of their presence in this country continues to play a huge part in our pending demise.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:12 AM

200 posts, read 349,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Agreed. Hopefully the fact that many of the obviously dumb and docile have lost their homes, jobs and are forced to focus on the cause of effects of illegal immigration, which has played a huge part in our pending demise.
Well, let's hope everyone starts to realize the enormous problem it's causing every American in the United States. Every pay check in America has money taken out of it to support the illegal aliens and their Anchor Babies and they just keep coming and having more babies in American. Will it ever end?

~*~*~*~*~*~*

Federal law enforcement estimates in 2005, as many as 10 to 4 million illegal aliens crossed into the United States; and as much as 2.2 to 1.1 million kilograms of cocaine and 11.6 to 5.8 million kilograms of marijuana entered the United States.

HOUSE COMMITTEE ON HOMELAND SECURITY
Page 3.

http://www.house.gov/mccaul/pdf/Investigaions-Border-Report.pdf

Old 01-31-2009, 12:24 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,636,097 times
Quote:
I never said it was. So why are you bringing it up? I don't think you understand what I'm saying. So let me try to explain.

Never once did I state that ID theft is victimless. My friend had $2,000 charged to her for tickets to Taiwan. So, I know firsthand. My point was that it is more common to have Americans commit said acts. Americans steal identifications to sell to illegals typically. So it still validates my point.
Regardless, this is a non-issue which I don't understand your fascination with.

Sure they can leave the first world to go to a developing nation. But, why? They will most likely will come back and now with a smaller skill set. So now we just increased those more in need of welfare. They now don't speak English, yet are American citizens. Problem not solved. The problem got worse.

You may not care what Mexico thinks of you, but Europe and Asia do. Image abroad has ramifications that we are starting to understand. In a global economy, we lose interests abroad if we can't market ourselves. This is part of the reason why China is winning over the Middle East and Africa. We look and are portrayed as evil, whereas China is the Cinderella of the third world. Europe despises China due to human rights abuses. However, Europe adores Brazil and India. BRIC is the name of the game. Our isolationist, nonchalant attitude is not winning friends. Our current hostility is definitely not helping matters.

I hope this clarifies things. Maybe might help if you look at both sides of the issue. Just a suggestion.

It sounds that what your friend experienced was credit card theft, not ID theft. That is when the thief appropriates your ssn. Much bigger a deal, and much harder to combat.

Secondly, Europe and yes, even China have their own problems with illegal immigration. Not a one of them thinks we are evil for enforcing our immigration laws...just as they are not evil for enforcing theirs.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:30 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,557,981 times
Quote:

The percentage of ID theft committed by U.S. citizens, in comparison to illegal aliens, is not the issue. At issue, is the fact that illegal aliens MUST resort to some form of criminal behavior to work illegally in this country. . . . be it ID theft, fake SSN, document fraud, tax evasion, etc. I don’t believe in rewarding criminal behavior, and illegal aliens should not be absolved of these crimes simply because they have US-born children. In essence, you are advocating a two-tier legal system -- one for U.S. citizens, and one for illegal aliens.

Breaking up families? It’s interesting that many of those crying foul, had no problem leaving behind their wives and children to come there. Furthermore, there is absolutely nothing in our immigration laws which would preclude US-born children from accompanying their deported parents back to their countries of origin. If so, I would be the first to object.

You may consider all aspects of illegal immigration to be innocuous, but I don’t. Nor, is illegal immigration a “victimless crime.” When legitimate contractors lose businesses due to low-balling by unscrupulous employers of illegal aliens -- real people are hurt. When previously livable wages are depressed to a level only sustainable by those willing to live 15-20 per 2-bedroon apartment -- real families suffer. When schools are overburdened by millions of illegal alien children -- our own children (and our country) pay the price. When hospitals are bankrupted due to massive illegal alien nonpayment -- the health and wellbeing of entire communities is jeopardized. The list goes on. . .

Given our current economic woes, our tax dollars simply can no longer support millions of unlawful foreigners who take much, and give little. As a parent, my priority is my son and his future children. As an American, I must consider the lives of my fellow citizens, over the lives of people who should not be here; and arguably don’t give a damn about this country or its citizenry.

On numerous occasions, we have requested a cogent justification for illegal immigration. The wait continues……….

BTW, paranoia is an excessive or irrational suspicion of others, coupled by delusions of persecution or grandeur. Opposition to the unabated intrusion by 20+ million foreigners, and the detriment their presence engenders, hardly qualifies as being paranoid. This is not an illusionary threat; it is quite real. Obviously, illegal immigration will have to smack a few faces, to bring home this reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration