U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-29-2009, 05:30 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,897,260 times
Reputation: 1094

Advertisements

Iraqis displaced by the U.S.-led war are among new groups of refugees who will increasingly be resettled in communities throughout Florida and the country, a United Nations official said Wednesday.

The U.N. has referred more than 42,000 Iraqis for resettlement in the United States. Of those, 15,000 have already arrived — many of them religious minorities or single mothers whose husbands were killed, said Larry Yungk, senior resettlement officer with the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/national/article971499.ece


Wow, this will be interesting to say the least . . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-29-2009, 05:38 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
Reputation: 2983
If those Iraqis ever settle in Florida en-masse, the resident Cuban Americans had better stop referring to the "Bay of Pigs" incident. (Pigs could come across as sounding offensive to the newcomers). How about the "Bay of Goats"?...or the "Bay of Sheep"?.....or just "That invasion thing that happened a long time ago in Cuba"?....ANYTHING but pigs....PLEASE !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2009, 05:48 PM
 
608 posts, read 881,125 times
Reputation: 64
They are refugees. How are they illegal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2009, 06:00 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,897,260 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
If those Iraqis ever settle in Florida en-masse, the resident Cuban Americans had better stop referring to the "Bay of Pigs" incident. (Pigs could come across as sounding offensive to the newcomers). How about the "Bay of Goats"?...or the "Bay of Sheep"?.....or just "That invasion thing that happened a long time ago in Cuba"?....ANYTHING but pigs....PLEASE !!!
Agreed. It's going to be a real interesting time in Florida. Popcorn anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2009, 06:04 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
They are refugees. How are they illegal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Agreed. It's going to be a real interesting time in Florida. Popcorn anyone?
I catch JDub's drift:

The Iraqis and Cubans, etc. getting along with one another in S Florida.

Especially being that many Middle Easterners resemble stereotypical Hispanics so there may be potential conflicts due to mutual misunderstandings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2009, 06:07 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,897,260 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I catch JDub's drift:

The Iraqis and Cubans, etc. getting along with one another in S Florida.

Especially being that many Middle Easterners resemble stereotypical Hispanics so there may be potential conflicts due to mutual misunderstandings.
I bet the wet foot, dry foot policy won't be so appealing anymore. I also have a feeling that it's going to get really ugly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2009, 06:11 PM
 
Location: The Shires
2,257 posts, read 1,722,489 times
Reputation: 1050
If it helps rid South Florida of some of the crap from Cuba, I'm all for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2009, 06:34 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,897,260 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
If it helps rid South Florida of some of the crap from Cuba, I'm all for it.
I hear you. I remember when they instituted that policy and Fidel opened every cage in Cuba. Every single psychotic Cuban criminal from that era now resides US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2009, 06:37 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
I hear you. I remember when they instituted that policy and Fidel opened every cage in Cuba. Every single psychotic Cuban criminal from that era now resides US.
Yes; and OUR taxes have been supporting them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2009, 06:45 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,897,260 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Yes; and OUR taxes have been supporting them.
For several decades now. . . . Scarface wasn't just a movie, it was art imitating life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top