Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 10:39 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,776,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Possibly because you live in Spokane...rather than LA, Fresno, or El Centro....possibly because you simply don't get bothered by things...or possibly because you have no personal interest in it, one way or another.

Some people are bothered by global warming....high taxes....the shrinking economy....the war in Iraq....and athlete's foot. Others find these issues unimportant. Why? Who can say?

I'm not particularly bothered by the daily problems encountered in the New York subway system....for one, because I don't live in New York, and do not use the subway.
Yeah, because you know everywhere I've lived. I haven't lived in Spokane my entire life, only the past three months, after two years in Denver.

Yet, I grew up in Corona and Riverside, CA, in Latino neighborhoods, growing up not speaking Spanish, while many of my neighbors, friends, and classmates did.

I do have an interest in it, I worked with and knew illegal immigrants that became friends, and had friends that turned out to be illegal immigrants. Some were holding the fault in their own hands, others with the fault in their parents' hands. Did their presence bother me? No, not really, they know what's at stake, and what they are risking. I'm not the INS or Border Patrol -- obviously those gov't agencies aren't doing their job if "so many" illegal immigrants are residing comfortably in the U.S.

You've had this thing for me lately, either you try and paint me as something I'm not, or you assume that based on my current residence that I know nothing about illegal immigration, or illegals themselves. I go to the Tri-Cities, Moses Lake, Quincy, and Wenatchee (all in the state of WA) pretty often, I can see "illegals" all I want, do they bother me? No, they're just people to me.

I'm not bothered by a whole lot, the only things I worry about are my bills being paid, my work being done and my kids being fed. I don't care if Jose is out at Home Depot soliciting work, or if his kids are attending taxpayer supported schools -- life is too short.

If nothing else, I find the illegal immigration debate here on C-D to be quite fascinating. Some posters have no clue, others like to start threads to go on bashing sprees, some just don't like diversity, some miss "the country they grew up in", and some respond with actual intelligence and mostly go ignored.

Whatever the case may be, you haven't gotten rid of me yet.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:50 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,507,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Yeah, because you know everywhere I've lived. I haven't lived in Spokane my entire life, only the past three months, after two years in Denver.

Yet, I grew up in Corona and Riverside, CA, in Latino neighborhoods, growing up not speaking Spanish, while many of my neighbors, friends, and classmates did.

I do have an interest in it, I worked with and knew illegal immigrants that became friends, and had friends that turned out to be illegal immigrants. Some were holding the fault in their own hands, others with the fault in their parents' hands. Did their presence bother me? No, not really, they know what's at stake, and what they are risking. I'm not the INS or Border Patrol -- obviously those gov't agencies aren't doing their job if "so many" illegal immigrants are residing comfortably in the U.S.

You've had this thing for me lately, either you try and paint me as something I'm not, or you assume that based on my current residence that I know nothing about illegal immigration, or illegals themselves. I go to the Tri-Cities, Moses Lake, Quincy, and Wenatchee (all in the state of WA) pretty often, I can see "illegals" all I want, do they bother me? No, they're just people to me.

I'm not bothered by a whole lot, the only things I worry about are my bills being paid, my work being done and my kids being fed. I don't care if Jose is out at Home Depot soliciting work, or if his kids are attending taxpayer supported schools -- life is too short.

If nothing else, I find the illegal immigration debate here on C-D to be quite fascinating. Some posters have no clue, others like to start threads to go on bashing sprees, some just don't like diversity, some miss "the country they grew up in", and some respond with actual intelligence and mostly go ignored.

Whatever the case may be, you haven't gotten rid of me yet.
I don't recall our ever 'conversing' on the forum..could you possibly have me confused with another poster?

At any rate, I stand by what I said...you asked rhetorically why YOU were not bothered by illegal immigration...and I answered that I didn't know.

Let's leave it at that. If I've "bashed" you, it must have been in jest..(a frequent habit of mine)....but I don't recall it. You certainly have the right "not to be bothered" by anything you choose.

I've known illegals closely (even as relatives) for decades, and it never 'bothered' me years ago, but is beginning to bother me now. Mostly because of sheer numbers, and the sense of entitlement so prevalent today. But that's just me, and it's not my intent to "bash" posters.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:57 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,776,012 times
Quote:
I don't recall our ever 'conversing' on the forum..could you possibly have me confused with another poster?
I checked, and you're right. My apologies.

Quote:
At any rate, I stand by what I said...you asked rhetorically why YOU were not bothered by illegal immigration...and I answered that I didn't know.

Let's leave it at that. If I've "bashed" you, it must have been in jest..(a frequent habit of mine)....but I don't recall it. You certainly have the right "not to be bothered" by anything you choose.

I've known illegals closely (even as relatives) for decades, and it never 'bothered' me years ago, but is beginning to bother me now. Mostly because of sheer numbers, and the sense of entitlement so prevalent today. But that's just me, and it's not my intent to "bash" posters.
Thanks. I understand your stance, and accept it.

The 'sense of entitlement' regarding many (not just illegal) residents of the U.S. today, is a huge problem, but that's for a whole 'nother thread.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:00 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,507,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I checked, and you're right. My apologies.

Thanks. I understand your stance, and accept it.

The 'sense of entitlement' regarding many (not just illegal) residents of the U.S. today, is a huge problem, but that's for a whole 'nother thread.
Enough said....glad that's behind us.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:40 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,289,376 times
You all complain about Mexicans, but what about Cubans? (license, illegal immigrants, regular)

If they are illegal, I don't like them either.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:53 AM

706 posts, read 936,320 times
Props to Macmeal and David Aguilar for keeping the discussion at a rational level.

While I stand a little bit to the right of Pat Buchanan (When it comes to illegal immigration) I also realize that without serious discussion between "we the people" ,all of the decisions are left up to those whores who purport to represent us.

More often than not,I'll disagree......but I thank you both for Your efforts.

regards.....

BL

Old 08-10-2009, 10:07 AM

45 posts, read 86,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And later groups of pre Euros AKA 'Indians' arrived here and (probably) conquered the previous 'indigenous' peoples-------------DNA is telling that tale as we speak.

Face it: the Americans Indians were conquered by a group of bigger and badder 'Indians'. Had it not been the Euros (Anglo and Hispanic); it could have been the Russians, Chinese and in particular the Japanese doing the deed.
It looks like you're being replaced with the latest group of unlawfal land grabbers. You shouldn't have a problem with it, since the settlers did the same to native americans. I think it's called Karma.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:18 AM

45 posts, read 86,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
I am part Hungarian, the US would be lucky to have more immigration from our land. We are hard-working, intelligent people.
I think that would be great. Especially the gypsy minority that's being persecuted in Hungary. Hopefully human rights groups will look into it. And forced the government to stop the racism and genocide against the gypsies.

Murder Mystery: Who's Killing Hungary's Gypsies? - TIME (http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1895255,00.html - broken link)

Gypsies are at home in Hungary, but still don't fit in | Worldfocus

Old 08-10-2009, 11:06 AM

21,144 posts, read 41,990,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denison View Post
It looks like you're being replaced with the latest group of unlawfal land grabbers. You shouldn't have a problem with it, since the settlers did the same to native americans. I think it's called Karma.
The problem is in part 'White guilt'---------which Mexico, etc. does not have.

The reality is that the USA is still quite strong enough to expel those criminal illegal aliens. Unlike Cortez et al, Mexico is weak as kitten (with all due respect to cats) compared to the USA in any regard.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:10 AM

21,144 posts, read 41,990,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denison View Post
I think that would be great. Especially the gypsy minority that's being persecuted in Hungary. Hopefully human rights groups will look into it. And forced the government to stop the racism and genocide against the gypsies.

Murder Mystery: Who's Killing Hungary's Gypsies? - TIME (http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1895255,00.html - broken link)

Gypsies are at home in Hungary, but still don't fit in | Worldfocus
Flip side: the Gypsies need to change their culture as well; start accepting education, personal responsibility etc.

One does not demand respect: one earns it.

The above stated: yes I agree the authorities need to step up and punish those idiots who harass innocent Roma (and everyone else).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.