U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 08:41 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,156,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis09 View Post
Exactly. That's why very few spout off against immigrants and Hispanics in public. Choosing to do so online, or armed at their rallies. Much safer that way. Plus, many are insecure about how they are seen when they say some of their more honest views.
Why would anyone spout off against "immigrants" in public? This isn't about immigrants but illegal aliens and if I know someone who is in our country illegally I have no problems spouting off to them in public. As for Hispanic citizens, as long as they respect the laws of our country, are not illegal alien aiders and abettors and have assimilated into our society, I have no reason to spout off to them either whether it be on a forum or in public.

Old 08-24-2009, 02:47 AM

12,843 posts, read 23,222,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
GIVEN that "Miami doesn't resemble Omaha"..(and assuming for the sake of argument that you'd WANT a place to resemble Omaha)....at what point is the "local" population of a country...ANY country..allowed to express alarm, at what they see as a 'changing culture'? It's a fair question.
No, I don't care if a place resembles Omaha or Miami. I used Omaha as an example of "Mainstream America". I've never been to either and am sure both are great for their own reasons.

I don't see a reason to express any alarm when culture changes. One has the choice of ignoring it, embracing it, adopting it, being passive, or going and finding their own if they please.

Am I supposed to throw a fit if my neighborhood or nation changes into something that isn't my culture? What my culture is, is a completely broad term anyway, I couldn't even tell you what my culture is, or if I even have one.

For example, say I have a neighbor that's an alcoholic, and I'm not. Say he likes fishing, and I don't. Say that another set of neighbors are gay and like playing Mariah Carey, and I am not gay and don't particularly enjoy Mariah Carey more than the average person. Say yet another neighbor is from a different nation and speaks another language.

Alcoholic
Fishing
Gay
Mariah Carey
Foreign-born
Another language

I don't share any of these cultural elements with my neighbors. Should I be up in arms that I'm not a fish-loving, Mariah Carey listening, gay alcoholic born in another nation that speaks another language at home? I think not.

Quote:
Let's suppose, for example, that a certain part of France began to resemble India...or Turkey...or the Ukraine. Would there be a point at which the French population might be expected to register alarm...or concern..or misgivings? Or not?
That's assuming the current French population is homogeneous, right? Well, France has 6,000,000 North Africans and 2.5 million blacks. Are the French registering alarm, concern, or misgivings now? And if they are, should they be? I don't think so, I believe that hatred, concern, discomfort, etc. of other cultures are learned and/or taught feelings, the whole "if someone says the sky is green enough times, eventually it will be" kind of thing.

Quote:
It's all well and good to continue the old mantra that "the USA is a land of immigrants....so therefore it HAS no certain, agreed-upon culture; it HAS no right to insist that anyone assimilate to its culture, and no legitimate complaint if they DON'T...all assimilation to the US, at whatever level, is purely voluntary on the part of all immigrant groups..and EARLIER groups have no 'leg to stand on' in asking that immigrants 'get with the program'...since the USA has no required language, no formal 'cultural norms', and no certain dominant culture"....AND there's no 'seniority' in the USA, and under the law, the newest legal immigrant is every bit as "American" as one whose ancestors arrived 300 years ago. Legally, there's no such thing as a 'newcomer'. Is that reasonable? Frankly, I don't know.
Our history is a good indicator of what eventually happens to all "newcomers". Amongst many European-descended Americans (for example), you can't tell what country their ancestors hailed from, as they have very few (if any) cultural characteristics that they're ancestors did. Eventually, this will happen to Cubans, Mexicans, etc. If anything, most Americans relate more closely to their local or regional cultures.

Quote:
You could ASK that Americans accept that (the above)...and no doubt, many of them will do so...but is it really realistic to think that everyone in America will be 'OK' with this? Would we expect such a formula to work in Japan, or Mexico, or Turkey, or Croatia? That these countries have 'no real, agreed-upon culture', and their citizens therefore have 'no right to insist their culture be respected by new arrivals'? If a large segment of Argentina began resembling a place "not like mainstream Argentina", could we then expect some Argentines to register displeasure? Would they be justified in this? If so, is that because Argentina has a 'certain culture', unlike the US?
In any situation, there is going to be that percentage of people that "registers displeasure" with certain cultures, or cultures different than theirs'. It's a fact of life -- there's still Americans that don't like blacks, but blacks have been here for hundreds of years. IMO, there will never be a nation 100% accepting of other cultures.

This thread was originally about Cubans. Cubans don't immigrate here illegally as long as their feet are "dry". If people find Cubans to be that much of a problem, then they can use their votes on people that will change the policy regarding Cubans. Some people are making this about displeasure with Cuban culture, and how they are "taking over Miami", which actually has nothing to do with the way they immigrate here. If one is displeased with Cubans (or any group of people) that much, they probably should live away from them, it's as simple as that.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:41 AM

32,823 posts, read 30,068,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I've had neighbors in Oregon that kept chickens in their yard in an urban setting. But they weren't immigrants, they were more of the organic produce enthusiast type. My Polish immigrant grandparents kept chickens in their yard in Milwaukee back in the 1920s apparently--they made a killing selling eggs to other Poles in the neighborhood.

Most of the properties I see with beat-up cars in my area are usually owned by the Americanus Redneckus genus type. And I'm not allowed to paint my house lavender either?

I agree, if ladies have got it going on, I say flaunt it..

Does this include the hippie kids down the street from my house blaring reggae music..Is loud country music acceptable to you?

Shoot, I'm totally non-assimilated!

So just keep you wacky ethnic traditions in our designated "ethic cultural busiiness districts". Italian food shall only be enjoyed in Little Italy or at the Olive Garden.

Does assimilation include learning how to write using proper grammar?

Old 08-24-2009, 06:55 AM
Yac

5,875 posts, read 6,295,585 times
This thread has run it's course.
Also, I know I sound like a broken record, but when I say "please don't feed the trolls" I don't mean "try to convince them they are wrong". Ignore and they will get bored. Reply and they will be coming back, it's that simple.
Thread closed.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or