U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 07:52 PM

804 posts, read 1,174,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymbuff View Post
Well that's a wrong attitude. Sure fly your flag because MANY nationalities fly their own flags around town, latin or not. But, to say you owe NOTHING to this country? Just the very fact that you can fly your Cuban flag and not have to lose your identity is enough to merit a "thank you." Face it if you were stillin Cuba you would have no central a/c no plethora of tv channels, and your means of transportation would be a stanked up bus!
It's that type of thinking and attitude that give the rest of us cubans, hyphenated or not, a bad reputation.
And bcreass, a hit and run is not a Cuban thing, not do we have a propensity or proclivity to commit this crime. I watch enough news to know this happens all the time.
I agree with you gymbuff, I have also come here with nothing and what I have is been due to my effort and work. Yet, anytime I look back I see a lot of people who has helped me and believed in me along the way. I worked hard for what I have but it was this country that gave me the opportunity to do so. So even though my country's flag is always on my mind, I hold the U.S. in very hard regard and I'm willing to do personal sacrifices to make it a better place.

-Kellem

Old 05-05-2009, 07:59 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
Sure thing, that's why I'm here. If I wanted everyone to agree with me I would go to a forum where everyone supports immigration. Where I can expect people to give me thumbs up and post Agree 100% and other worthless comments.

I am quite young, and most of he people I have contact with in a daily basis are young college students, graduate students, older people from academia, sciences and technology people in conferences and business people who are interested in our research.

I, when I graduate, aspire to be a wealthy business owner. I have worked for 6 years for a large company and commanded an almost 6 figure salary, that should put me somewhere around middle class, and decided to give it up to go to grad school. And I think, as things are like now, whether we like it or not, large business owners and corporations are the ones that have the greatest influence on the decisions made in this country.

I don't really think that I should just consider the majority by their sheer numbers, I think the majority should be normalized by their influence on decisions.

I state again, the reason that I came to this forum is not to change your minds since they seem to be rather set, but to inform mine. I really like to be informed of both sides before picking mine, and your side is ill represented in pro-immigration forums. So don't be gentle, just shoot away. I do would ask to keep it respectful as I have tried to.
Interesting, your income and status puts you in the category of many that post on here and are anti-illegal, that would include myself though I have some age on you. Do you plan on exploiting these people to run your business? Most businesses that use illegal labor exploit them, which I am sure, you already knew.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:40 PM

804 posts, read 1,174,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Interesting, your income and status puts you in the category of many that post on here and are anti-illegal, that would include myself though I have some age on you. Do you plan on exploiting these people to run your business? Most businesses that use illegal labor exploit them, which I am sure, you already knew.

That's what I figured, I consider myself to be somewhere around the people on the forum, maybe a little on the younger side. But as anyone, I have personal experiences that have steered me towards my current position.

Do I plan on exploiting them? I don't know. I'm sure that the definition of exploiting changes from individual to individual. When I was born I had a a maid whose job was to take care of me almost full time. By the time she started working with us she was 12, I would think that most of the people here would frown upon it, and I have received a lot of heat from it from anyone who has heard about it. She was given to us by a convent because her family could no longer support her. She was with us until I was 17 and decided to come to U.S. and she decided to stay because she had a family back there by then. But on the time she had been with us we put her through school and she had started paying for her college. Several of my friend's maids have been with their families longer than they had been in the world. And most of their families had paid for their maids education and their son's education, and a lot of them are now professionals.

So from my life experiences the concept of exploiting might differ from yours. I think giving a person who needs a job at a market wage, and providing education and advancement opportunities is not exploiting. Not only for other but for myself too. I have refused to work at a fast food restaurant for 5/hr yet happily worked for a research lab at my undergrad institution for 40+hours a week while getting paid for 10 hour at a 10/hr rate for over 6 months.

Do I plan to hire Illegal workers? likely, if the risk/benefit is adecuate. But I'm a big proponent of education and merit-based policies so I will also likely incorporate programs that would allow workers that go out of their ways to enhance themselves to prosper.

Maybe we could talk a little more on private, this is borderline to what i'm willing to share of personal stuff in a public forum.

Last edited by Kellem; 05-05-2009 at 08:48 PM..

Old 05-06-2009, 01:48 AM

4,270 posts, read 7,885,000 times
Quote:
Just starting?
This has been going on for a while. The problem is that this way of entering has always been hush hush. Trust me on this one; it's been going on for a while.
By awhile, how many years?

I don't recall it being significant until after the year 2000. Do you recall reports of Cubans entering via Texas in the 1990s?

Old 05-06-2009, 02:08 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
We came here to have a better life. But I never said anything about stopping being Cuban just because now I live in the USA. I owed nothing to this country, I have worked for everything that I have and I paid my way in, legally. So I will keep flying my Cuban flag, because that is my right. Gotta love America.
I think that's the problem. You didn't do anything for your own country and that's why you had to leave it. You didn't work to make it a better place so it's miserable for those who haven't made it here yet.

I don't understand the latino flag waving about countries they wish to abandon at the drop of a hat.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:11 AM

4,270 posts, read 7,885,000 times
In some of the countries where the illegals left, the illegals had little to no opportunity whatsoever to improve their own countries. I mean, Mexico is essentially an oligarchy. Same with Guatemala and countless others.

But Spain is different - I think one actually has a chance to do something in Spain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think that's the problem. You didn't do anything for your own country and that's why you had to leave it. You didn't work to make it a better place so it's miserable for those who haven't made it here yet.

I don't understand the latino flag waving about countries they wish to abandon at the drop of a hat.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:26 AM

426 posts, read 662,879 times
Mexicans are fine and Cuban are too. If you don't like them, move away from them. That is the beauty of this nation it is vast and we have free association. I'm tired of the people here whining about illegal immigration, racism and other nonsense. What needs to be spoken about is how to increase the savings rates, decreasing the crass materialism here, increasing the level of literacy, getting back the days of good manners,class and dignity- so everyone will stop sounding like Micheal Savage clones. If you lost your job to a Mexican acquire the skills to get a different and better job, if your job was sent over seas retrain get a different job, help yourself and stop whining over the net.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:14 AM

1,087 posts, read 2,341,391 times
Quote:
Well that's a wrong attitude. Sure fly your flag because MANY nationalities fly their own flags around town, latin or not. But, to say you owe NOTHING to this country? Just the very fact that you can fly your Cuban flag and not have to lose your identity is enough to merit a "thank you." Face it if you were stillin Cuba you would have no central a/c no plethora of tv channels, and your means of transportation would be a stanked up bus!
It's that type of thinking and attitude that give the rest of us cubans, hyphenated or not, a bad reputation.
And bcreass, a hit and run is not a Cuban thing, not do we have a propensity or proclivity to commit this crime. I watch enough news to know this happens all the time.
I thank my parents for making the sacrifice and migrating to the USA. I worked hard for my house, car and to pay my electrical bill every month. Nothing comes free, and that's fine with me. I don't owe anything to this country. We didn't arrive as illegals that later got freebies like most other Hispanic groups. I am proud to fly my Cuban flag next to the American one. I don't think my comment gives Cubans a bad reputation. My comment shows that we are hard working people that come to the USA to earn our daily bread and not expect for a free hand out. I think we as a society experiencing a major economical hardship, should care more about who is receiving free services from the government WE support with OUR taxes than what flag I have stuck to the back of my car.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:36 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpierpont View Post
Mexicans are fine and Cuban are too. If you don't like them, move away from them. That is the beauty of this nation it is vast and we have free association. I'm tired of the people here whining about illegal immigration, racism and other nonsense. What needs to be spoken about is how to increase the savings rates, decreasing the crass materialism here, increasing the level of literacy, getting back the days of good manners,class and dignity- so everyone will stop sounding like Micheal Savage clones. If you lost your job to a Mexican acquire the skills to get a different and better job, if your job was sent over seas retrain get a different job, help yourself and stop whining over the net.
If said Cubans or Mexicans are here illegally--------------they need to leave the USA because they are criminals.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:45 AM

807 posts, read 1,116,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpierpont View Post

I don't think that anyone on here has stated that they have a problem with Mexicans.. The people on this forum have stated that they are not fans of Illegal Immigration and it's impact on Taxpayers.

It's hard to increase the level of Literacy when my tax dollars pay for Billingual education so that little "Pablo" can drop out in 8th grade and become a Gang Member. We are importing people with low education and low skills into this country and allowing them to take jobs that American Citizens and legal immigrants with the same educational background would NOT be qualified for. "Getting Back to the days of Good Manners, Class and Dignity". Kinda hard when there are many illegal aliens that refuse to assimilate into America and accept THOSE standards as well.

Is Identity Theft an example of Good Manners? Is playing your Mariachi music loudly at all times of the night OR demanding that others, in another country learn my language, an example of Class? Is expecting everyone to pay your way AND then demanding more an example of Dignity?

Your elitist attitude towards Americans is striking! "Get a Different and Better Job". Many people have owned Construction, Restaurants, and other businesses only to be undercut by greedy employers that hire Illegal Aliens for cheap labor.

I find it funny that you use the Michael Savage clone generalization as I am far from that. I Voted for and Support President Obama (except on the Immigration issue) and have voted Democrat in most elections. Living in California however, I have seen the damage caused by unchecked illegal immigration. I will be voting Republican for the first time in my life in the State Gubenatorial Election in 2010, but I am NOT a Republican or a Democrat. Both parties look out only for big business and large Corporations and could care less about the American middle class.

I am also the child of an Immigrant. My Grandma and my Mother moved to the U.S. in the early 1960's from Japan. They came to the U.S, my Grandma worked hard, they learned English, and became LEGAL U.S. Citizens. I think Legal Immigration is a wonderful thing. When someone comes into this country Illegally, commits crimes, refuses to learn the language, DEMANDS taxpayer handouts and instant "legalization", they are not only spitting in the faces of the immigrants that have come here legally and worked hard to be America, but also those in other countries that dream of coming to the U.S...

Back on the subject, Cubans are welcome to come to the U.S. legally like every other ethnicity.. Come here, fly your flag, work and live the dream.. but remember that you are in the U.S. and that the opportunities that you have gained here are because you are an American!

Last edited by bipolarpunk; 05-06-2009 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: Add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or