U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-07-2009, 06:52 PM
 
Location: The Shires
2,257 posts, read 1,724,682 times
Reputation: 1050

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
Not at all. I live in the USA, I am an American citizen, but I still love my culture, heritage, history and flag. I celebrate 4th of July, but also 20 de mayo. I love a good old apple cobbler, but I also like flan. I don't have to give up one to enjoy the other.
You fly both flags...ah, nothing wrong with that, I guess. In parts of NJ, you see plenty of Italian flags too. In Boston, you see plenty of Irish flags.

 
Old 07-31-2009, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
1,164 posts, read 1,278,921 times
Reputation: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
I don't doubt that...I mean, how many Hungarians do you hear about forcing Hungarian on everyone and taking over whole cities?
How is hanging up their flags a sign of wanting to cram their culture onto you? I saw Polish immigrants do the same in Chicago (there's an estimated 70,000 illegal polish in the U.S.) and I don't see people complain about that. In Chicago the polish would also line-up with the Mexicans in certain areas waiting for someone to pass and give them a job. A job I'm certain paid in cash thus no taxes to be paid, yet I only see people complain about illegal Latinos not paying taxes.

Also, how can we be so sure that illegals are increasing crime? The country is experiencing an economic crisis and lack of jobs wouldn't it be natural for crime to increase with those factors alone? Why are illegals blamed for it? However, it's not only in the U.S. in Italy for example, racism against Romanians has increased because the Italians blame them for the current crisis and rise in crime.
 
Old 07-31-2009, 02:48 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 69,949,006 times
Reputation: 27520
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post

This nonsense should have been stopped when the Mariel Boatlift occurred. These people have had over half a century to get rid of Castro and his regime. We turn Haitians away without question, even though Haiti is far more f--ked up than Cuba.
I lived in S. Fla too for a number of years. The first wave of Cubans were educated middle class people who actually made the economy better in S. Florida.

The second wave though was an emptying of the Cuban jails. Castro did a cleansing and we did nothing to stop it.

I saw the change happen, almost overnight. Many of the original wave of Cubans and their decendants were upset. That first wave of teachers, doctors, lawyers came with money and didn't look for handouts in the US; instead they worked hard and created a strong community that was an asset to Miami. It was sad to see it destroyed.
 
Old 07-31-2009, 02:50 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,646,709 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
How is hanging up their flags a sign of wanting to cram their culture onto you? I saw Polish immigrants do the same in Chicago (there's an estimated 70,000 illegal polish in the U.S.) and I don't see people complain about that. In Chicago the polish would also line-up with the Mexicans in certain areas waiting for someone to pass and give them a job. A job I'm certain paid in cash thus no taxes to be paid, yet I only see people complain about illegal Latinos not paying taxes.

Also, how can we be so sure that illegals are increasing crime? The country is experiencing an economic crisis and lack of jobs wouldn't it be natural for crime to increase with those factors alone? Why are illegals blamed for it? However, it's not only in the U.S. in Italy for example, racism against Romanians has increased because the Italians blame them for the current crisis and rise in crime.
Yet care to explain why the crime rate is dropping here in the Phx area in conjunction of the growing deportation of the illegals here? Remember that our economy here is very bad.
 
Old 07-31-2009, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Little Pond Farm
559 posts, read 1,181,107 times
Reputation: 495
I've been reading about horses being slaughtered in their pastures for their meat in South FL and I was surprised to hear the "locals" pointing the finger at Cubans.
 
Old 07-31-2009, 07:26 PM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
1,164 posts, read 1,278,921 times
Reputation: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Yet care to explain why the crime rate is dropping here in the Phx area in conjunction of the growing deportation of the illegals here? Remember that our economy here is very bad.
Correlation does not equal causation.

The reason I'm not to sure about the issue is because every time positive studies are released on immigrants, the detractors claim there's no way to get data on the issue because there's no way to truly know whose legal or not and how many there truly are, yet when negative studies are posted they accept them (very confusing).
 
Old 07-31-2009, 07:53 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,624,231 times
Reputation: 2983
Never MIND the Cubans...what about those Lithuanians?...
 
Old 07-31-2009, 10:32 PM
 
433 posts, read 818,412 times
Reputation: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper324 View Post
I've been reading about horses being slaughtered in their pastures for their meat in South FL and I was surprised to hear the "locals" pointing the finger at Cubans.

Ah, killing horses and cows, it was once my favorite pass time back in Cuba. I guess old habits die hard on us
 
Old 08-02-2009, 02:40 AM
 
Location: Portlandia "burbs"
10,236 posts, read 13,536,365 times
Reputation: 25856
Actually, quite often when I discuss 'illegals in general' I am also including the Caribbean ones (and those from everywhere else who snuck in undocumented). I'm always aware of those in the south-eastern states who have to contend with Cubans, Haitians, etc.

I think the difference is, is that the cross-overs from Mexico and Central America are not only in much larger volume, but spread out all across the nation. In my 31 years here in the PNW, I have met only a couple of Cubans. So I can see how the problems in Florida get over-shadowed.

Now I have heard (from a good source) that in cities where Jamaicans congregate, they tend to form the "meanest" gangs. But, again, Jamaicans are miniscule in population compared to Hispanics.

But illegal is illegal, be it Mexico or Cuba or China or ~ yes! ~ Lithuania. Big or small, Canada does a fine job of securing its own border, and if they can do it, why can't the US of A?
 
Old 08-02-2009, 06:06 AM
 
1,150 posts, read 991,842 times
Reputation: 369
Kellem:
Perhaps that's because the higher socio-economuc classes rarely even see an illegal alien, unless said illegal alien is mowing their lawn. It's easy to be tolerant of someone when you don't have to come into contact with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top