U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 11:05 AM

3,536 posts, read 3,562,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Americans living and working in places like Saudi Arabia or UAE tend to live on compounds. They are not encouraged (or even allowed I believe) to live amongst the populace. Plus, they are just there to work, they are not there to become citizens of Saudi or UAE -- which is not allowed anyway.

As far as other expats go ......again, are they in a country to work or to emigrate? If only to work for a few years, then yes -- chances are they are not going to become fluent in their host countries langauge. A missed opportunity imho...but there you have it. If they are there to emigrate, well, I believe you are either wrong or grossly exagerating. Americans emigrating to a country that does not speak English refuse to learn their new countries language? I don't think so.
The compounds are more integrated than you think. At KKIA, during the peak of the oil boom in the 1980s, when I was a little kid, I always played with the Saudi kids living on my street. The compounds are more like suburbs. My family, having lived there 6 years was one that stayed briefly, as oppossed to my friends family staying their for over 20 years. Sorry, but when you work in a country, you also live in said country. My parent's regret is that we never learned enough Arabic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 12:31 PM

8,187 posts, read 7,914,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
The compounds are more integrated than you think. At KKIA, during the peak of the oil boom in the 1980s, when I was a little kid, I always played with the Saudi kids living on my street. The compounds are more like suburbs. My family, having lived there 6 years was one that stayed briefly, as oppossed to my friends family staying their for over 20 years. Sorry, but when you work in a country, you also live in said country. My parent's regret is that we never learned enough Arabic.
Well, good for you for learning any at all. As I said, to live and work in a different country - no matter how temporarily - and not learn its language and customs is a lost opportunity. But to compare working temporarily and not learning your host country's language vs immigrating and not learning your new countries language is absurd. They have nothing in common.

In other words, for you to have learned Arabic while living is Saudi even though you knew you would be returning to the US one day would have been a great thing, but not necessarily a needful one. Now, if you were going to become Saudi citizens (which again, I don't think is possible) you would be not only a fool not to learn arabic, but you would be insulting your new country as well.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:44 PM

5,579 posts, read 8,052,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Americans living and working in places like Saudi Arabia or UAE tend to live on compounds. They are not encouraged (or even allowed I believe) to live amongst the populace. Plus, they are just there to work, they are not there to become citizens of Saudi or UAE -- which is not allowed anyway.

As far as other expats go ......again, are they in a country to work or to emigrate? If only to work for a few years, then yes -- chances are they are not going to become fluent in their host countries langauge. A missed opportunity imho...but there you have it. If they are there to emigrate, well, I believe you are either wrong or grossly exagerating. Americans emigrating to a country that does not speak English refuse to learn their new countries language? I don't think so.
This was my point above: If you are living in the USA as a "legal resident" with a Green Card and you have no intention of applying for citizenship, you do not have to learn English. Americans don't have to learn the languages of the countries they live in either.

Not knowing the language doesn't mean you are "illegal."

There are people living in the USA who speak perfect English who are illegal aliens. They don't have a Green Card and they aren't citizens. They NEED to go home!! Those are illegal aliens!

Old 02-02-2009, 04:54 PM

216 posts, read 341,741 times
Quote:
There are people living in the USA who speak perfect English who are illegal aliens. They don't have a Green Card and they aren't citizens. They NEED to go home!! Those are illegal aliens!
Among illegal immigrants who do speak English, the majority of them do not speak perfect English, the majority of them speak English with that Pedro accent. If you have ever seen the movie Napoleon Dynamite than you know what I am talking about when I say the Pedro accent. Hell even many American born Hispanics still speak English like Pedro from Napolean Dynamite.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:11 PM

5,579 posts, read 8,052,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Winchester View Post
Among illegal immigrants who do speak English, the majority of them do not speak perfect English, the majority of them speak English with that Pedro accent. If you have ever seen the movie Napoleon Dynamite than you know what I am talking about when I say the Pedro accent. Hell even many American born Hispanics still speak English like Pedro from Napolean Dynamite.
I've known two illegal immigrants from England and one from Canada. All a person has to do is overstay a tourist visa and they are illegal. The Canadian one eventually went home but I don't know what happened to the two Brits.

It's not that easy to get a Green Card if you are from some European countries. You can get a visa to travel but it's almost impossible to get one to live here.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:44 PM

8,187 posts, read 7,914,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I've known two illegal immigrants from England and one from Canada. All a person has to do is overstay a tourist visa and they are illegal. The Canadian one eventually went home but I don't know what happened to the two Brits.

It's not that easy to get a Green Card if you are from some European countries. You can get a visa to travel but it's almost impossible to get one to live here.
And vice versa.....let's be fair here, if one has any intention of either immigrating and/or merely working for a time in a EU country, well good luck! Unless you have a parent/grandparent that could claim citizenship with a current EU member your chances are pretty slim of being able to work in say, the UK without a corporation paving the way for you.

Immigration laws bite in all countries, not just the US. All the same, immigration laws must be obeyed in all countries as well.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:03 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,200,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
While I agree it needs to be abolished, technically it's not the amendment that has created this atrocity, it's the deliberate misinterpretation and abuse of the amendment that has created this monster. It has resulted in the deliberate, methodical procreation of millions of children by 2 illegal aliens who have illegally become citizens by default. Further evidence of the damage of this methodically devised sham is the fact that there are now hundreds of treasonous anchor babies present in our government who obsessively lobby for special treatment and non-applicable rights for hispanic illegal aliens.

If the loophole isn't demolished quickly, this country certainly will be. Abolition of dual citizenship should also be a requirement for those who wish to obtain American citizenship. Those marches that were full of so called Mexican Americans simply proved that you can't ride two donkeys with one ass.

As for the story itself . . . wow .. just wow.
These "anchor babies" as you call them do not know of any other home but the U.S. If it is correct that they are children of undocumented people, they most likely have never set foot in Mexico. If they march, it is not in protest that they are not accepted my Mexico. Most likely, they dont even want citizenship from Mexico. They are advocating for their parents. Whether we should allow them to be legal in this country, that is the issue at hand.

You, as a citizen of U.S., have every right to fight for what you believe. What you dont have a right to, is to deny other citizens their right to exercise freedom of expression.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:08 AM

163 posts, read 137,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
These "anchor babies" as you call them do not know of any other home but the U.S. If it is correct that they are children of undocumented people, they most likely have never set foot in Mexico. If they march, it is not in protest that they are not accepted my Mexico. Most likely, they dont even want citizenship from Mexico. They are advocating for their parents. Whether we should allow them to be legal in this country, that is the issue at hand.

You, as a citizen of U.S., have every right to fight for what you believe. What you dont have a right to, is to deny other citizens their right to exercise freedom of expression.
Key word here is citizens.

If you take the 14th amendment not only as it was written but also as the Supreme Court ruled, then these children ARE NOT citizens therefore are not entitled to the rights of natural-born or legal citizens.

But if you play the political game and skew the meaning of it, then you can get away with all kinds of illegal stuff. And that is the problem we are facing right now.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:32 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,200,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimy View Post
Key word here is citizens.

If you take the 14th amendment not only as it was written but also as the Supreme Court ruled, then these children ARE NOT citizens therefore are not entitled to the rights of natural-born or legal citizens.

But if you play the political game and skew the meaning of it, then you can get away with all kinds of illegal stuff. And that is the problem we are facing right now.
Show me which part of the amendment does not recognize these children as citizens! I know people that come to this country to have children then go back. The children you see marching have never left and claim the U.S. as their country. Some serve in the army, air force, navy, marines, some are teachers, professors, etc.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:45 AM

163 posts, read 137,205 times
Quote:
Show me which part of the amendment does not recognize these children as citizens!
Read my previous post here. There is also a very informative link.

Quote:
I know people that come to this country to have children then go back. The children you see marching have never left and claim the U.S. as their country. Some serve in the army, air force, navy, marines, some are teachers, professors, etc.
Whether they ever left or not they are still not citizens if you follow the 14th amendment as it was meant to be.

As for them claiming this country as their own...I can claim I'm a millionaire but that doesn't make it true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration