U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 10:10 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,958,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Should the kids have been aborted? As a conservative, would you make an exception for abortion as long as the fetuses are the offspring of illegal aliens?
Im conservative ( a rare one that believes in abortion), BUT I say that unless the parent can afford that many children WITHOUT taxpayer assistance, then yes they should have been aborted and the mother taken for a psychological evaluation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 10:10 AM

34,990 posts, read 33,858,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
Yes Bush has culpability in this issue, where have I said otherwise?
You're attacking me for pointing out his culpability.

Quote:
My comment was about you romanticizing the illegals as down trodden heroes of labor and implying Americans are lazy.
? Where did I do that? Here are my posts: delusianne's posts in this-here thread

Quote:
You responded with some cryptic reference to Bush, as if you are having some smug conversation with yourself.
Wasn't cryptic at all, it was right to the point.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:31 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,658,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
While there are businesses who adhere to the rule of law, there are far too many who make it optional. I recently began working for the government and there is an agent who is an American of mexican descent, and a cleaning lady of the same descent. While both are very fluent in English, on 2 occasions I have been forced to listen to them rudely and loudly babble back and forth in spanish. Not only is it annoying, it is rude, ignorant and should not be tolerated. I have decided that it's time to use reverse PC to my advantage this time. They have one more strike and my manager will hear from me in this regard.

Is It OK to Speak Spanish in the Workplace?
By Zayda Rivera

The answer to the question "Is speaking Spanish in the workplace acceptable?" may seem easy. But in today's work force, where Latino men and women account for 16 million workers, the question becomes more of where and how you use what may be your native tongue.

Rene Rodriguez, president and founder of Babbalu.com, a predominately Latino organization, believes it's common workplace courtesy to respect those who may be around you.

"It's rude to speak [Spanish] if you're in a room with five people and three are Latino or two are Latino and three are not," he says. "Whatever the case may be, it's rude for those two people to be speaking in a manner that the other people do not understand."

Even though Latinos are the fastest-growing traditionally underrepresented group in this country, the prominent language remains English.

Is It OK to Speak Spanish in the Workplace? (http://www.diversityinc.com/public/4580print.cfm - broken link)

Old 02-01-2009, 10:35 AM

3,191 posts, read 3,690,128 times
look one more time...You implied illegals are down trodden hero's, Americans above doing certain jobs and when I called you on it, you blamed George Bush?

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
You're attacking me for pointing out his culpability.
You were not attacked. I questioned how Bush figured into your slamming Americans and your glorifying illegals. Maybe it's your victim mentality at work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Wasn't cryptic at all, it was right to the point.
But not the point we were discussing. Hence the cryptic label and my comment that you seem to be having a "smug conversation with yourself".

Old 02-01-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
look one more time...You implied illegals are down trodden hero's, Americans above doing certain jobs and when I called you on it, you blamed George Bush?
You inferred that I implied. You're stretching to reach a conclusion that is completely wrong. And Mexicans do come here illegally because underhanded employers want them, lobby to get them and accommodate them when they're here. And you can pretend I made up the GWB quote, but I didnt.

Here's some more.
Bush said the [plan to reform immigration law, 2004] confronts "a basic fact of life and economics -- some of the jobs being generated in America's growing economy are jobs American citizens are not filling."

"These jobs represent a tremendous opportunity for workers from abroad who want to work and to fulfill their duties as a husband or a wife, a son or a daughter," he said.
Quote:
No doubt these assistance programs were put in place by wrong headed liberals whom think it's the taxpayers responsibility to pick up the tab for the illegals.
The Bush administration announced on Monday that it would start paying hospitals and doctors for providing emergency care to illegal immigrants.

The money, totaling $1 billion, will be available for services provided from Tuesday through September 2008. Congress [majority Republican in 2005] provided the money as part of the 2003 law that expanded Medicare to cover prescription drugs, but the new payments have nothing to do with the Medicare program.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/10/po.../10health.html

Old 02-01-2009, 10:53 AM

200 posts, read 299,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
kids are cute, i want one.
You can have little Alfredo to raise at your own expense, NO taxpayers assistance, OK? I'm thinking some kind of fertilization assistance was going on here with the parents.

"Alfredo Jr. had been hospitalized all his life until recently. He's had three state-funded brain operations and will require several more, the family said. The couple receive $700 in monthly Social Security payments to help with his medical needs."

Old 02-01-2009, 11:06 AM

This is a duplicate thread of one in Immigration.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:32 AM

7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We deal with this carp on a daily basis but the people that insist on speaking Spanish on a regular basis don't hold much of a job. We have some people in a position of power that LIVE in TJ but you never hear them speaking Spanish in the elevator or cafeteria. They know how flat out rude it is in a business setting to try and keep conversation private in a public setting. I speak enough German to get by and I know a guy who speaks it fluently. We were on the elevator one day and we just said how are you and good morning and the two woman who were rattling off in Spanish just stopped talking and stared at us. It was priceless.

EMPTY MY TRASHCAN
The next time they start babbling I am going interrupt the cleaning woman and tell her to empty my trash can. Maybe then she will realize how rude they really are. As for the agent, we went to lunch one day and his table manners (or I should say lack thereof) pretty much made me wonder if he was raised in the forest by wolves. He "wolfed" his food down, talked and guzzled his drink simultaneously. Manners of any kind are definitely not his strong suit either.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:36 AM

7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post

Is It OK to Speak Spanish in the Workplace?
By Zayda Rivera

The answer to the question "Is speaking Spanish in the workplace acceptable?" may seem easy. But in today's work force, where Latino men and women account for 16 million workers, the question becomes more of where and how you use what may be your native tongue.

Rene Rodriguez, president and founder of Babbalu.com, a predominately Latino organization, believes it's common workplace courtesy to respect those who may be around you.

"It's rude to speak [Spanish] if you're in a room with five people and three are Latino or two are Latino and three are not," he says. "Whatever the case may be, it's rude for those two people to be speaking in a manner that the other people do not understand."

Even though Latinos are the fastest-growing traditionally underrepresented group in this country, the prominent language remains English.

Is It OK to Speak Spanish in the Workplace? (http://www.diversityinc.com/public/4580print.cfm - broken link)
Maybe we should run about 25 million copies of this in espanol and post them in various places around the country.

Thanks HSG!

Old 02-01-2009, 12:11 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,076,921 times
Quite frankly, if it does not affect output, then it really should not be a concern. I mean, I speak French on the phone or with my friends if they don't understand what is going on. When asked, I simply tell them. With my former Hispanic co-workers, they did the same. They would keep me up to speed. So I mean, we are now becoming like Switzerland or South Africa with many languages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or