U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 01:36 AM

6 posts, read 8,360 times

Advertisements

As an opponent of open borders and illegal immigration I'd like to know the opinions of those regarding how the border fences should be constructed to stop the migration of potential drug dealers, criminals, terrorists, foreign government spies, anchor baby parents, etc.

How tall should it/they be? What should it/they be constructed of? Is double/triple/multiple fencing needed? Where should it/they be constructed? Et cetera.

Think realistically as if YOU put were in charge of designing the barrier(s).

Here are my opinions:

- There should be triple barriers:
a. The 1st barrier should be a wall ~30 ft. tall and constructed out of cement
b. The 2nd & 3rd barriers can be fences and a bit smaller (perhaps 20 ft. tall) but covered heavily with razor wiring
- They should be at least 30 ft. tall
- They need to be constructed out of cement
- They need to have at least a 10 ft. deep cement foundation
- They should be constructed wherever necessary regardless of whether they're built on private property or certain environments as long as they're on US territory

The wall image above could be a good 1st barrier

The fences image above could serve as the 2nd & 3rd barriers although covered more heavily with razor wire and more spaced apart.

Thoughts?

Last edited by theotherguy; 02-02-2009 at 02:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 01:39 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,994,616 times
Ask a veteran the question, what you posted sounds solid as a rock, but also have some mines out there , ppl might think twice about crossing over anymore...but with our soft gov't, that'll not happen, in this day and age anyway...in our history we had some strong leadership like Patton, what happened?

Old 02-02-2009, 01:52 AM

6 posts, read 8,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vette-dude View Post
Ask a veteran the question, what you posted sounds solid as a rock, but also have some mines out there , ppl might think twice about crossing over anymore...but with our soft gov't, that'll not happen, in this day and age anyway...in our history we had some strong leadership like Patton, what happened?
Well, let's leave out the mines because we don't want the government to be burdened financially, socially, and politically with having to clean up the messes.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:10 AM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,582,427 times
I like the ideas although I'd put motion sensors along the US side of the border wall so that border patrol agents can detect any illegals.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:19 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
We should be using the drones to full capacity on the border not just where are troops are overseas. It doesn't matter if the make it across so long as they can be marked and tracked from the air until a BP foot soldier can get to them. The way it is now if they make it across they are safe.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:08 PM

595 posts, read 2,486,091 times
I agree with everything you said, otherguy.

Here's something else:

In order to get into the country, you must pass through security, where you pass through metal detectors and they check your passport.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:37 PM

2,075 posts, read 1,774,015 times
What can I say except, you all are right on. I would rep. ya twice on that if I could !!!!!! Great picks. Great post.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:32 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,710,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theotherguy View Post
Well, let's leave out the mines because we don't want the government to be burdened financially, socially, and politically with having to clean up the messes.
I agree. Mines are a bad idea. Sooner or later you just know that somebody is going to step on one and end up with all sorts of injuries. This will cost us tens of thousands of dollars (I am being conservative) in hospital bills, therapy, special car to drive, etc. Then they will sue the gubmint and/or someone else with deep pockets for millions because they stepped on a mine while sneaking into the US. Next they will refuse to leave and demand that 19 members of their immediate family be brought over to help them recover from the 'accident'. They will ask Ty Pennington from Extreme Home Makeover to build a new house for all of them. If he refuses, they will call La Raza and MALDEF and sue him for racism and discrimination. And this is before the 'World Court' weighs in or France starts telling us what they think. Worst of all, we will be treated to the horrifying spectacle of the 'leaf nosed bat'-faced head of NCLR, Janet Murguia, hectoring Lou Dobbs and wagging her finger at him because we have mines on the border. All said mines are a bad idea.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:20 PM

216 posts, read 450,764 times
Just put up big signs in Spanish everywhere that warn them to stay away from the border because there are mines everywhere. Unless ofcourse the Hispanics trying to illegally cross the border into the U.S have such a low I.Q that they don't even know how to read in their own freaking language. And if that is the case than what does that say about the education system in Mexico/Central America.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:56 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,963,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Winchester View Post
Just put up big signs in Spanish everywhere that warn them to stay away from the border because there are mines everywhere. Unless ofcourse the Hispanics trying to illegally cross the border into the U.S have such a low I.Q that they don't even know how to read in their own freaking language. And if that is the case than what does that say about the education system in Mexico/Central America.
Judging by the numerous grammatical and geographical errors present in the above post, one shouldn't throw stones when one resides in a glass house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or