U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2009, 11:57 AM

5,409 posts, read 11,066,563 times

Advertisements

short version. man marries woman. husband files for legalization of wife. they are married 7 to 8 months. he dies in the SI ferry crash of 2003. the time spent married is shorter than the 2 year min required. after 6 years she is denied US citizenship...

Widow of Staten Island ferry crash victim faces deportation - Staten Island Real-Time News - SILive.com

its a sad story. i think the 2 year limit exists so that people on their death beds wont marry someone and make them legal. presumably.
but what about cases where the parties intended to stay married, except due to some tragic turn of events the sponosoring party dies?

what then?

i think homegirl should stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 01:27 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,032,296 times
Absolutely she should be allowed to stay. She and her deceased husband played by the rules. And as the dissenting judge noted, why should the widow be penalized because the INS took too damn long in processing her paperwork?

The system is wracked by fraud and inefficiency. Some immigrants are held to the standard of law, while others are allowed to hole up in churches while crying that citizenship ought be rewarded based on squatters rights. There should be but one law and that law ought to be used to govern everyone in spite of ethnic lobbyists and in spite of foreign governmental interference. The answer isn't mass amnesty, the answer is to stream line the process of becoming a citizen for those that meet the criteria. And the criteria ought to be those coming into the country to marry, those coming into the country because they have skills we need, or those coming into the country via adoption. But those who feel that the ability to sneak in ought to be rewarded....to that I say absolutely not. Frankly, if we didn't have such an incredibly large illegal immigration problem, this lady would most likely have been allowed to stay.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:31 PM

i can always count on your to be the voice of reason. in terms of intelligence and practicality, you are bounds and leaps ahead of the other posters here. instead of flooding the forum with threads, you actually have some thing important to say.

thanks.

another question, should the judgement entered in her favor (money she got from the crash) have any [negative]impact on the judgement in the immigration case?

some would argue that she has enough money to live a nice life in jamaica now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Absolutely she should be allowed to stay. She and her deceased husband played by the rules. And as the dissenting judge noted, why should the widow be penalized because the INS took too damn long in processing her paperwork?

The system is wracked by fraud and inefficiency. Some immigrants are held to the standard of law, while others are allowed to hole up in churches while crying that citizenship ought be rewarded based on squatters rights. There should be but one law and that law ought to be used to govern everyone in spite of ethnic lobbyists and in spite of foreign governmental interference. The answer isn't mass amnesty, the answer is to stream line the process of becoming a citizen for those that meet the criteria. And the criteria ought to be those coming into the country to marry, those coming into the country because they have skills we need, or those coming into the country via adoption. But those who feel that the ability to sneak in ought to be rewarded....to that I say absolutely not. Frankly, if we didn't have such an incredibly large illegal immigration problem, this lady would most likely have been allowed to stay.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:18 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,878,727 times
She broke no laws no rules. Her husbands death was unfortunate and she kept her part of the deal. She should be allowed to stay.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:51 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,032,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
i can always count on your to be the voice of reason. in terms of intelligence and practicality, you are bounds and leaps ahead of the other posters here. instead of flooding the forum with threads, you actually have some thing important to say.

thanks.

another question, should the judgement entered in her favor (money she got from the crash) have any [negative]impact on the judgement in the immigration case?

some would argue that she has enough money to live a nice life in jamaica now...

Why thank you. I appreciate that you also are willing to compromise and try to see both points of views. Like with politics, it is more likely to find a solution to a problem looking at the middle then being polarized by sound bites.

I don't think the money she won against the state was a factor. Granted, it will make life in Jamaica that much easier for her but then it would have done the same for her in Staten Island. Truthfully, if she were allowed to stay that money would be put right back into circalation via real esate, cars and who knows? Maybe she would have used the money to open a small business. A lost opportunity for the state, imho.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:55 PM

EXACTLY. lets hope the immig judges eventually get this one right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Why thank you. I appreciate that you also are willing to compromise and try to see both points of views. Like with politics, it is more likely to find a solution to a problem looking at the middle then being polarized by sound bites.

I don't think the money she won against the state was a factor. Granted, it will make life in Jamaica that much easier for her but then it would have done the same for her in Staten Island. Truthfully, if she were allowed to stay that money would be put right back into circalation via real esate, cars and who knows? Maybe she would have used the money to open a small business. A lost opportunity for the state, imho.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:59 PM

32,798 posts, read 30,025,534 times
Well there are wrinkles, is that person going to be a burden on the new Country without the person who passed? I think that law also keeps people from offing their new 90 year old spouse for free benefits. Or spouse of any age for that matter, any marriage with the intent to become a citizen by default.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or