U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 01:53 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I am sensing that same thing.............and, I hope to God that you and I are both wrong.
Unfortunately, this issue is a major impetus for the recent surge in KKK membership. This is bad news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 02:56 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Unfortunately, this issue is a major impetus for the recent surge in KKK membership. This is bad news.
And; to run with that ball further, apparently in some areas the Klan is directing its ire against 'Mexicans' as a group and not bothering with Blacks-------never mind that some of the former ethnicity are indeed 'White'.

Although; reading back on it, the Klan typically has resurgences whenever there is a problem with large numbers of immigrants-----------both legal as well as the illegal variety. The key word would be 'economy'.

Old 02-07-2009, 03:48 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,271,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And; to run with that ball further, apparently in some areas the Klan is directing its ire against 'Mexicans' as a group and not bothering with Blacks-------never mind that some of the former ethnicity are indeed 'White'.

Although; reading back on it, the Klan typically has resurgences whenever there is a problem with large numbers of immigrants-----------both legal as well as the illegal variety. The key word would be 'economy'.
Y'all maybe right about the impact of the economy, although it'll probably cut both ways, with overall less jobs being available (and attracting less illegals), but also the few jobs there are, will often likely be minimum wage, or less (attracting more illegals than "other" takers).

BTW, I frequently vacation down across the border in Ensenada (a relatively prosperous Baja tourist town), and it's surprising how many of the waiters and other folks working in the tourist biz there, are actually American-born chicanos who are now finding better jobs in parts of Mexico (plus the lower cost of living), than in their native California! Actually kind of a sad statement about the current American economy, but also another proof it's largely about "demand".

Old 02-07-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Y'all maybe right about the impact of the economy, although it'll probably cut both ways, with overall less jobs being available (and attracting less illegals), but also the few jobs there are, will often likely be minimum wage, or less (attracting more illegals than "other" takers).

BTW, I frequently vacation down across the border in Ensenada (a relatively prosperous Baja tourist town), and it's surprising how many of the waiters and other folks working in the tourist biz there, are actually American-born chicanos who are now finding better jobs in parts of Mexico (plus the lower cost of living), than in their native California! Actually kind of a sad statement about the current American economy, but also another proof it's largely about "demand".
When people are desperate to support their families, pride will be swallowed, and they will work in whatever capacity they can.

Also, we do have minimum wage laws. A U.S. citizen does not have to settle for less than minimum wage. Illegals settle for it because they have no recourse.

Old 02-07-2009, 04:14 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,897,260 times
Quote:
When people are desperate to support their families, pride will be swallowed, and they will work in whatever capacity they can.

Also, we do have minimum wage laws. A U.S. citizen does not have to settle for less than minimum wage. Illegals settle for it because they have no recourse.
They may not have any choice here but, if they stayed home, found some courage and grew a pair and demanded humane treatment and a decent living wage they would have choices. They may even acquire some much needed self esteem and dignity as a bonus.

Old 02-07-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
They may not have any choice here but, if they stayed home, found some courage and grew a pair and demanded humane treatment and a decent living wage they would have choices. They may even acquire some much needed self esteem and dignity as a bonus.
Absolutely!

Old 02-07-2009, 04:56 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,710,869 times
Quote:

People may not understand that even in you have a job, if your hours are cut or your expenses go up, you may need another part time job just to keep your head above water. This is where jobs like working part time at McDonald's or doing construction work during the summer months used to be options for Americans whose paychecks did not quite cover the bills. As more and more Americans get squeezed financially, those jobs at places like Home Depot are going to start to look better and better. And if Americans and legal immigrants suspect those jobs are being filled by illegals while they are turned away, they will be angry. Most people will do whatever they have to do to stay in their home or apartment and keep their car. I would do whatever work I had to to keep my children fed and a roof over our heads. So would almost any other American.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:52 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,271,003 times
Quote:
Sorry, maybe I don't understand, but I have to disagree with that part. Now don't start in with the "hate mail" here, but IMHO, the country doesn't owe a living (or self-esteem) to citizens, to illegals, to anyone.

The world is not a fair place and never will be. If folks don't like a job, the wages, the conditions, whatever, then don't take it.... it's their choice and they can take responsibility for the consequences. And if it's unsafe, below minimum wage, etc, there's recourse for that. But otherwise, they have no business blaming anyone else (including illegals) for their problems, lack of dignity, lack of courage, lack of work, whatever. It seems to me that's only making excuses and playing "victim" (which BTW, only fuels more hate, prejudice, etc.).

Old 02-07-2009, 07:43 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,897,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Sorry, maybe I don't understand, but I have to disagree with that part. Now don't start in with the "hate mail" here, but IMHO, the country doesn't owe a living (or self-esteem) to citizens, to illegals, to anyone.

The world is not a fair place and never will be. If folks don't like a job, the wages, the conditions, whatever, then don't take it.... it's their choice and they can take responsibility for the consequences. And if it's unsafe, below minimum wage, etc, there's recourse for that. But otherwise, they have no business blaming anyone else (including illegals) for their problems, lack of dignity, lack of courage, lack of work, whatever. It seems to me that's only making excuses and playing "victim" (which BTW, only fuels more hate, prejudice, etc.).
I think you misunderstood my post. Notice I stated if illegals GO HOME and demand a decent wage and everything else they seem to think they are entitled to courtesy of the American taxpayers, only then would they find some dignity and self respect. I'm on the Americans for sovereignty team.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:00 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
Quote:
I think you misunderstood my post. Notice I stated if illegals GO HOME and demand a decent wage and everything else they seem to think they are entitled to courtesy of the American taxpayers, only then would they find some dignity and self respect. I'm on the Americans for sovereignty team.
No kidding! If someone is sucking my wallet dry I'd at least like to know that they are Americans, and not Americans via the race across the border to spit out a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or