Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 06:16 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Say what?!! I didn't see anything REMOTELY racist in what Benicar wrote. I grew up with racism and know it when I see it. Benicar only spoke the truth. California is now paying a heavy price for its stubborness in allowing so many illegals to receive the generous benefits of a California lifestyle. Let's hope that it doesn't come to a town near you.
Be careful there: the pro illegal apologists will not only call you a racist; they will also call you a pocho--------------their problem, not yours, admittedly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 11:28 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Dunno, but every time the subject comes up (including here), it seems like the majority of folks just want to work themselves into a frenzy with their prejudices (including vigilante threats). So mostly it just becomes a venting bashfest against those "damn illegals", rather than actually looking at what it would take to fix the problem, which obviously has as much to do with demand, as it does supply (not to mention the political constituencies for each side). And employing illegals is a crime too, yet your post seems mostly irritated that I've even raised the issue of employers to begin with.
When enough actual Americans and legal immigrants start looking for work, any work, because they are in danger of losing their home or will have to drop out of college and are unable to find any place that is hiring, if they suspect that the the job they should have been given is being filled by an illegal alien then the phones at ICE are going to be ringing off the hook. These employers are going to have to explain why it is that they are using illegal aliens and the old 'these are jobs no American will do' line is no longer going to fly. People are going to get angry when they lose their car because no one will hire them and they know illegals are working. The employers day of reckoning will come and it is not going to be pretty.

Quote:
As to responsibility, sure, if theft is a problem in your neighborhood, the criminals need to be caught and held accountable. And after a string of home robberies, naturally you and your neighbors would probably be holding meetings, angrily complaining about those thievin' low-lifes that are robbing you blind.

But any cop you talk to about it is also gonna tell 'ya, that unless you take some reasonable precautions and stop making your home look like such a tempting & easy target, then you're also part of the problem too.
This is a convenient way to shift the blame from the criminals (and the cops failure to prevent them from breaking into homes in the first place) to the person whose home was burglarized. What might these 'reasonable precautions' be? Locking your doors? Having your neighbors pick up your newspapers and mail if you are going to be away so they do not pile up on your doorstep? Not opening your door unless you know who is on the other side? Most people already follow these common sense measures. The simple fact that you have a decent home and might have something of value inside makes you a potential target in the minds of burglars. I refuse to blame someone whose home is broken into while they are at work earning and paying taxes for supposedly 'encouraging' a break-in.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:50 PM

4,419 posts, read 5,151,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Well, then they keep it. I'm not talking about forcing any counttry to do anything. Create a system of governance that can applied worldwide. Let those nations interested in joining it, join it.

It was quite an arduous and incomprehensible task to get the original 13 colonies unified. Nobody at the time thought it would ever happen. Now we have 50 states and the largest economy in the world. I doubt that would be the case had all those colonies remained autonomous.
I have a feeling when the tally is done, your world government will consume of the Maldives, Malawi, Liechenstein, Malta and Bhutan. Coalition of the willing maybe?

Old 02-07-2009, 06:25 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,559,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Say what?!! I didn't see anything REMOTELY racist in what Benicar wrote. I grew up with racism and know it when I see it. Benicar only spoke the truth. California is now paying a heavy price for its stubborness in allowing so many illegals to receive the generous benefits of a California lifestyle. Let's hope that it doesn't come to a town near you.
Thanks for coming to my defense.

However, macmeal was being sarcastic. He was joking with me by mimicking pro-illegals who claim all opposition to illegal immigration is racist.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:07 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,454,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Thanks for coming to my defense.

However, macmeal was being sarcastic. He was joking with me by mimicking pro-illegals who claim all opposition to illegal immigration is racist.
...not all opposition, but still alot, which only benefits the current chaos, not finding the cures.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
...not all opposition, but still alot, which only benefits the current chaos, not finding the cures.
Agreed. There are extremes on both sides of this issue. Just as ‘some’ opposed to illegal immigration are racists, ‘some’ who support illegal immigration do so simply because they share an ethnicity with the vast majority of illegal aliens.

Of course, there are also the employers and special interest groups who profit from cheap illegal labor. Their motives are far from altruistic.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:51 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,454,406 times
Quote:
Agreed. There are extremes on both sides of this issue. Just as ‘some’ opposed to illegal immigration are racists, ‘some’ who support illegal immigration do so simply because they share an ethnicity with the vast majority of illegal aliens.

Of course, there are also the employers and special interest groups who profit from cheap illegal labor. Their motives are far from altruistic.
Dunno that anyone actually "supports" illegal immigration, but simply demonizing illegals (or worse, lumping them in with all other "Mexicans" and non-white immigrants, legal or not), just brings out all the defenders of their "rights" (civil rights, immigration rights, plus health, education & child advocates, etc., etc.), or else shifts the discussion to the benefits of their culture (that they're usually family-oriented, hard-working, will take jobs we won't do, etc.).

But worse, the "bash-fests" just distract attention from all the interests that really benefit from the current situation, as you point out. And there's gotta be alot of opportunity for improvement there on the "demand" side, especially when illegals chronically report that employers mostly "don't ask me, they don't care".....

Old 02-07-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Dunno that anyone actually "supports" illegal immigration, but simply demonizing illegals (or worse, lumping them in with all other "Mexicans" and non-white immigrants, legal or not), just brings out all the defenders of their "rights" (civil rights, immigration rights, plus health, education & child advocates, etc., etc.), or else shifts the discussion to the benefits of their culture (that they're usually family-oriented, hard-working, will take jobs we won't do, etc.).

But worse, the "bash-fests" just distract attention from all the interests that really benefit from the current situation, as you point out. And there's gotta be alot of opportunity for improvement there on the "demand" side, especially when illegals chronically report that employers mostly "don't ask me, they don't care".....
Legal immigrants are welcome to the USA irrespective of race/ethnicity.

Illegal aliens are criminals who need to leave post haste.

Look around you: we are in the worst economic downturn since the 1930's-----------which will spell trouble for any illegal alien caught here in the USA. Read that if here illegally-----------get out ASAP!

Old 02-07-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:

I don’t believe most opponents of illegal immigration demonize them. Most people are simply sick of our government facilitating this travesty by permitting employers to continue to violate our immigration and employment laws. E-Verify, albeit not 100% accurate, would most assuredly limit the number of illegal aliens working in this country. Unfortunately, the illegal immigration profiteers have managed to postpone the enforcement of this policy.

The “bash-fest” you speak of, is simply anger and frustration. People need to vent. It’s far better to vent in cyberspace, than to internalize these feelings and resort to violence or other inappropriate behavior. Sadly, I fear if our economy worsens, and our current illegal immigration problem is not resolved, there will be less venting, and more action.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
I don’t believe most opponents of illegal immigration demonize them. Most people are simply sick of our government facilitating this travesty by permitting employers to continue to violate our immigration and employment laws. E-Verify, albeit not 100% accurate, would most assuredly limit the number of illegal aliens working in this country. Unfortunately, the illegal immigration profiteers have managed to postpone the enforcement of this policy.

The “bash-fest” you speak of, is simply anger and frustration. People need to vent. It’s far better to vent in cyberspace, than to internalize these feelings and resort to violence or other inappropriate behavior. Sadly, I fear if our economy worsens, and our current illegal immigration problem is not resolved, there will be less venting, and more action.
I am sensing that same thing.............and, I hope to God that you and I are both wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration