U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-05-2009, 04:24 PM
 
Location: USA
200 posts, read 299,581 times
Reputation: 66

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Read the words carefully - household with AN illegal alien PARENT - meaning the one who actually receives checks is probably legal. I'm sure there are benefits that end up in illegal immigrant's hands, but it usually isn't by the government's choice.

Edit: Gee, it looks like I'm somewhat correct... "In California, households composed of an illegal alien parent and citizen
children represented about 10 percent of the stateís AFDC and Food Stamp caseloads in 1995 and accounted for $720 million in AFDC and Food Stamp benefits combined." "About 77 percent of AFDC and 78 percent of Food Stamp households with an illegal alien parent had one or two citizen children; the remaining households had three or more citizen children receiving benefits." And I only literally two pages of the article, so I'm sure it's made even more clear in the rest. Did you read the article yourself?

So, are you fine with denying benefits to children who are citizens of the United States?
As for the Anchor Babies, I think the illegal alien parents should be deported and the Anchor Babies should be well taken care of, in State run boarding schools and orphanages. They'll be quite comfortable and be provided an American education and medical care. At least there, they'll be taugh to become a true American.

I'm quite comfortable denying benefits to illegal aliens and their illegal alien children. The illegal alien parents are responsible for their illegal alien children. The parents knew the consequences when they snuck the illegal alien children across the border. If they were caught, they would be deported and they should be deported, rightfully so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-05-2009, 04:25 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
1,067 posts, read 2,577,360 times
Reputation: 505
Illegal immigration is a serious problem, especially once our resources are wasted to subsidize it with such minimal returns.

I'm curious why everyone is ignoring outsourcing, though. With all the jobs (and currency) that sends overseas, the economic devastation caused by illegal immigration pales in comparison.

Also, our public education is falling way behind many other nations that became developed decades after us, and we are losing that battle in both depth and practicality. If we had better education, illegal immigrants wouldn't even be able to touch our job market since everyone would have far more qualifications. Also, if our education continues to tolerate mediocrity, then we're in danger of needing to migrate to other countries in the all-too-near future.

I'm glad some are trying to stop the problem with illegal immigrants, but we all need to reunite in the cause to redirect our tax money to a betterment of our citizens. That starts with getting it out of the hands of illegals, yes; but getting rid of illegals would barely be a start in contrast to all the work we need to do to keep the home front economically competitive in the up-coming decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2009, 04:27 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
28,220 posts, read 43,497,100 times
Reputation: 18654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad-The-Impaler View Post
As for the Anchor Babies, I think the illegal alien parents should be deported and the Anchor Babies should be well taken care of, in State run boarding schools and orphanages. They'll be quite comfortable and be provided an American education and medical care. At least there, they'll be taugh to become a true American.
You'd rather stick a child in the system, where they will most likely sit in foster care until age 18, then allow them to be with their parents? Wow... just wow. I really didn't know you all were so heartless. I have friends who grew up in the system, and it is not a pretty life. It would be fabulous if they could all attend some boarding school, but our country doesn't have the money for that - considering we can barely provide proper schools for ANY of our children here.

P.S. What is a "true American?" I thought we were founded on the principles of freedom and diversity?

Quote:
I'm quite comfortable denying benefits to illegal aliens and their illegal alien children. The illegal alien parents are responsible for their illegal alien children. The parents knew the consequences when they snuck the illegal alien children across the border. If they were caught, they would be deported and they should be deported, rightfully so.
Once again... wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2009, 04:32 PM
 
Location: USA
200 posts, read 299,581 times
Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I hope so, but somehow I doubt we'll ever see that link. As a reference librarian, I can certainly do my own research, and will let you know if I find anything. But aside from the numbers, yes there are many people here illegally, and I don't think anyone is arguing that - I just don't agree that 80% of Americans spend time worrying about it. I live in California, and grew up in a city that was known as "Little Mexico" on one side... so if I don't care even coming from this environment, I doubt the majority of Americans are focused on this. Don't we have bigger problems to worry about right now?!



Okay, thanks for your permission. My charities of choice are usually related to animals (Humane Society, ASPCA, etc), children's & educational programs, homeless assistance, AIDS & cancer research, gay rights, and Jewish charities. Unfortunately I don't have much to give lately, but if I did, the "illegal immigration groups" would be at the bottom of my list... considering what I know about most of them and their real motives. Plus I try to focus on improving the lives of our people, no matter where they were born or how they got here. I work with many immigrant families, and couldn't possibly look into their child's eyes and say "SORRY! I'm going to let you starve since your mother jumped the border." I'm just a bleeding heart, I guess.
I suggest we True Americans petition for a special tax option whether to contribute to the support of illegal aliens on welfare or not. It should be an option. Just check, yes or no. Let the real supporters of illegal aliens pay for them. Problem solved.

In 2007, legal and illegal aliens cost the federal government more than $346 BILLION dollars
http://www.esrresearch.com/Rubensteinreport.pdf

Last edited by Vlad-The-Impaler; 02-05-2009 at 04:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2009, 04:36 PM
 
Location: USA
200 posts, read 299,581 times
Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
You'd rather stick a child in the system, where they will most likely sit in foster care until age 18, then allow them to be with their parents? Wow... just wow. I really didn't know you all were so heartless. I have friends who grew up in the system, and it is not a pretty life. It would be fabulous if they could all attend some boarding school, but our country doesn't have the money for that - considering we can barely provide proper schools for ANY of our children here.

P.S. What is a "true American?" I thought we were founded on the principles of freedom and diversity?



Once again... wow.
Geez, you make me feel bad. I would give the illegal alien parents the option of taking the Anchor Babies with them, when they're deported, if that makes you feel any better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2009, 04:39 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,823,428 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I hope so, but somehow I doubt we'll ever see that link. As a reference librarian, I can certainly do my own research, and will let you know if I find anything. But aside from the numbers, yes there are many people here illegally, and I don't think anyone is arguing that - I just don't agree that 80% of Americans spend time worrying about it. I live in California, and grew up in a city that was known as "Little Mexico" on one side... so if I don't care even coming from this environment, I doubt the majority of Americans are focused on this. Don't we have bigger problems to worry about right now?!



Okay, thanks for your permission. My charities of choice are usually related to animals (Humane Society, ASPCA, etc), children's & educational programs, homeless assistance, AIDS & cancer research, gay rights, and Jewish charities. Unfortunately I don't have much to give lately, but if I did, the "illegal immigration groups" would be at the bottom of my list... considering what I know about most of them and their real motives. Plus I try to focus on improving the lives of our people, no matter where they were born or how they got here. I work with many immigrant families, and couldn't possibly look into their child's eyes and say "SORRY! I'm going to let you starve since your mother jumped the border." I'm just a bleeding heart, I guess.
I can only speak for myself. My opposition to illegal immigration has no racial/ethnic basis. I can honesty say I donít ďhateĒ anyone, with the exception of those who harm children. Quite frankly, I really donít care what you or anyone else perceives my motives to be. I know my heart.

There are those on both sides of this issue with ulterior motives. Itís unfortunate it is assumed that all opposition to illegal immigration is motivated by racism, xenophobia or nativism. It simply isnít true.

Regarding charitable donations; my primary concern is abused and neglected children. I also contribute to cancer research and treatment. Itís very dear to my heart due to the history of cancer on both sides of my family. My dad is currently in stage 4 of prostate/bone cancer, so I have a very personal interest.

BTW, I am also a bleeding heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2009, 04:45 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,823,428 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
You'd rather stick a child in the system, where they will most likely sit in foster care until age 18, then allow them to be with their parents? Wow... just wow. I really didn't know you all were so heartless. I have friends who grew up in the system, and it is not a pretty life. It would be fabulous if they could all attend some boarding school, but our country doesn't have the money for that - considering we can barely provide proper schools for ANY of our children here.

P.S. What is a "true American?" I thought we were founded on the principles of freedom and diversity?



Once again... wow.
Please donít generalize. I believe the children should accompany their parents back to their countries of origin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2009, 04:47 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
28,220 posts, read 43,497,100 times
Reputation: 18654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Please donít generalize. I believe the children should accompany their parents back to their countries of origin.
Sorry for generalizing... but I'm not sure that option is much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2009, 04:48 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,643,200 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
You'd rather stick a child in the system, where they will most likely sit in foster care until age 18, then allow them to be with their parents? Wow... just wow. I really didn't know you all were so heartless. I have friends who grew up in the system, and it is not a pretty life. It would be fabulous if they could all attend some boarding school, but our country doesn't have the money for that - considering we can barely provide proper schools for ANY of our children here.

P.S. What is a "true American?" I thought we were founded on the principles of freedom and diversity?



Once again... wow.
Either the minor age Anchors grow up in the system, leave with their illegal alien parents or are left with legal friends/relatives. Problem solved.

While we are at it: the 14th Amendment needs to be clarified so Anchor Babies no longer qualify for birthright citizenship (assuming that both parents are here illegally).

Remember: the recession is deepening so it is in the best interests for all involved for the illegal aliens to leave the USA post haste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2009, 04:51 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
28,220 posts, read 43,497,100 times
Reputation: 18654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I can only speak for myself. My opposition to illegal immigration has no racial/ethnic basis. I can honesty say I don’t “hate” anyone, with the exception of those who harm children. Quite frankly, I really don’t care what you or anyone else perceives my motives to be. I know my heart.

There are those on both sides of this issue with ulterior motives. It’s unfortunate it is assumed that all opposition to illegal immigration is motivated by racism, xenophobia or nativism. It simply isn’t true.
I know it isn't all motivated by racism, but much of it is... especially those immigrant watchdog groups, which I have researched a bit. But I wouldn't doubt you or your bleeding heart (LOL), if you say your motivations aren't race-based. Unfortunately, though, I think you would be in the minority based on my observations and research.

Quote:
Regarding charitable donations; my primary concern is abused and neglected children. I also contribute to cancer research and treatment. It’s very dear to my heart due to the history of cancer on both sides of my family. My dad is currently in stage 4 of prostate/bone cancer, so I have a very personal interest.

BTW, I am also a bleeding heart.
Bleeding hearts stand proud! Btw, I'm sorry about your father, and hope he isn't suffering too much. Luckily we have no history of cancer in my family, but we have lost many friends to this horrible disease - including three from breast cancer, so I'm always glad to contribute to their cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top