U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-07-2009, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,827,658 times
Reputation: 3028

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
You still didn't answer the question..as expected. A simple yes or no would suffice.
Welcome to Reading Is Fundamental
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-07-2009, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,902,906 times
Reputation: 6517
Personally I put no stock into any of these polls. Why? Because people who actually work for a living and actually have a life value their time to much to waste it on the phone trying to answer questions designed to produse a desired outcome. For those who never wasted their time doing one of those polls. They ask a question worded in such a way as to make it impossible to understand what the point of it is. They then offer answers for you to agree strongly agree somewhat agree disagree strongly disagree or some what disagree. They then compile the answers somehow to get the results desired from the poll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2009, 11:01 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,827,658 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Personally I put no stock into any of these polls. Why? Because people who actually work for a living and actually have a life value their time to much to waste it on the phone trying to answer questions designed to produse a desired outcome. For those who never wasted their time doing one of those polls. They ask a question worded in such a way as to make it impossible to understand what the point of it is. They then offer answers for you to agree strongly agree somewhat agree disagree strongly disagree or some what disagree. They then compile the answers somehow to get the results desired from the poll.
Exactly! They structure the questions to receive the desired results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2009, 11:39 AM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,902,906 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Exactly! They structure the questions to receive the desired results.
That was my over all impression as well. I apply this to any poll regardless of topic or politics. In short the point isn't to get a valid consensus on what people really think but to reaffirm the position of what ever group is sponcering the poll.
Example. I think 45 acp is the best all around caliber for pistols. Further more I like the 1911 frame.
The poll.
If you were forced to defend yourself and had to choose a pistol caliber.
You would select a caliber that delivers a great deal of energy.
Agree, strngly agree,somewhat agree- disagree, somewhat dis agree strongly disagree?
If the one caliber was most likely to save your life over another.
Cost per bullet would be a small consideration. Agree some what agree strongly agree blah blah blah
If you knew that a smaller caliber like the 9mm is less effective in stopping a raving lunatic you would most likely buy the larger 45 acp?
Agree strongly agree etc etc
There are a variety of pistol frames. In semi automatic the 1911 is the most favored by experts and competion shooters alike. They feel it is the most accurate versetile frame on the market.
You would be willing to pay a little extra for a 1911 frame.
agree somewhat agree etc etc etc.
See my point? This entire line of questioning was designed to convince the individual that not only do they need a 45 acp but also in the 1911 frame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2009, 12:09 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,827,658 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
That was my over all impression as well. I apply this to any poll regardless of topic or politics. In short the point isn't to get a valid consensus on what people really think but to reaffirm the position of what ever group is sponcering the poll.
Example. I think 45 acp is the best all around caliber for pistols. Further more I like the 1911 frame.
The poll.
If you were forced to defend yourself and had to choose a pistol caliber.
You would select a caliber that delivers a great deal of energy.
Agree, strngly agree,somewhat agree- disagree, somewhat dis agree strongly disagree?
If the one caliber was most likely to save your life over another.
Cost per bullet would be a small consideration. Agree some what agree strongly agree blah blah blah
If you knew that a smaller caliber like the 9mm is less effective in stopping a raving lunatic you would most likely buy the larger 45 acp?
Agree strongly agree etc etc
There are a variety of pistol frames. In semi automatic the 1911 is the most favored by experts and competion shooters alike. They feel it is the most accurate versetile frame on the market.
You would be willing to pay a little extra for a 1911 frame.
agree somewhat agree etc etc etc.
See my point? This entire line of questioning was designed to convince the individual that not only do they need a 45 acp but also in the 1911 frame.
That's precisely how the 'game' is played.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top