U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 05:25 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,803,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
Why do people always use the pointless argument "why do you generalize X race, there are lots of white people who do it too!"

This thread is strictly about ILLEGAL CUBANS who commit fraud and not about Americans who are white/asian/black/indian.

If you have evidence of crimes due to illegal caucasians, then start your own thread.
Cubans can not be illegal immigrants, have you ever heard of the wet foot/dry foot policy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 06:07 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,704,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
Finally we agree on something. Yes, the Hispanic population (not only Cubans) in Hialeah, Kendall and Sweetwater are not the nicest of people, and they are very loud too. See, those Cubans are from a different generation and later wave of arrivals. Oh well.
I remember reading years ago (well before today's Internet) that the Mariel Boatlift people from 1980 are not of the same cultural class as the Cuban refugees from 1959.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:52 AM

2,257 posts, read 1,732,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Cubans can not be illegal immigrants, have you ever heard of the wet foot/dry foot policy?
Living in Miami, I (along with other non-Cubans) suffer from that policy, allowing what amounts to some of the worst scum of the earth a free pass into the USA. We all know that Fidel Castro flushed his jails back in the 70's and 80's -- those people are still here, living and breeding (partly why Miami is so f**ked up in the first place).

I'm not referring to ALL Cubans -- just the ones who steal millions from Medicare, the ones who drive like maniacs and cause Miami to the the road rage capital of the USA for 2 years running, along with the hit and run capital. I am sick of their corruption, rudeness and fraud. I'm tired of hearing about how "superior" they consider themselves to other immigrants and their success over other immigrants is simply due to the "wet foot, dry foot" policy, which has allowed them to become instant US citizens.

As I mentioned, the first waves of immigrants probably weren't so bad, but the later waves of immigrants have brought nothing but scum into South Florida (those from the Mariel Boatlift / after).

I try not to generalize, but it's pretty hard when there's so much wrong with Miami -- a predominantly "Cuban" city now, since Cubans make up the biggest ethnic group (just over half the population).

I don't think Cuban immigration would be such a problem if a) the immigrants were vetted, criminals sent back and b) most of the immigrants moved to other parts of the US (instead of mainly Miami) and assimilated into US culture, without forcing their damn language on us and waving their flags all the time.

I notice that many Cubans say they'll go back once Cuba is free again. Why wait? Why not go back and FIGHT for your country, instead of just milking the United States, taking American jobs and continuing to decimate South Florida? It seems that we pander too much to a large group of people who have no interest in being here long-term anyway, despite the fact that this country gave them a new start in life and new opportunities (many of which they abuse).

Old 02-09-2009, 11:07 AM

1,087 posts, read 2,348,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
Living in Miami, I (along with other non-Cubans) suffer from that policy, allowing what amounts to some of the worst scum of the earth a free pass into the USA. We all know that Fidel Castro flushed his jails back in the 70's and 80's -- those people are still here, living and breeding (partly why Miami is so f**ked up in the first place).

I'm not referring to ALL Cubans -- just the ones who steal millions from Medicare, the ones who drive like maniacs and cause Miami to the the road rage capital of the USA for 2 years running, along with the hit and run capital. I am sick of their corruption, rudeness and fraud. I'm tired of hearing about how "superior" they consider themselves to other immigrants and their success over other immigrants is simply due to the "wet foot, dry foot" policy, which has allowed them to become instant US citizens.

As I mentioned, the first waves of immigrants probably weren't so bad, but the later waves of immigrants have brought nothing but scum into South Florida (those from the Mariel Boatlift / after).

I try not to generalize, but it's pretty hard when there's so much wrong with Miami -- a predominantly "Cuban" city now, since Cubans make up the biggest ethnic group (just over half the population).

I don't think Cuban immigration would be such a problem if a) the immigrants were vetted, criminals sent back and b) most of the immigrants moved to other parts of the US (instead of mainly Miami) and assimilated into US culture, without forcing their damn language on us and waving their flags all the time.

I notice that many Cubans say they'll go back once Cuba is free again. Why wait? Why not go back and FIGHT for your country, instead of just milking the United States, taking American jobs and continuing to decimate South Florida? It seems that we pander too much to a large group of people who have no interest in being here long-term anyway, despite the fact that this country gave them a new start in life and new opportunities (many of which they abuse).
Cubans do not consider themselves superior to other Hispanic groups. But the fact that we are the most successful Spanish speaking group in the USA speaks for itself. It has nothing to do with the “wet and dry” policy. It has to do with our educational level and our ambitions. Cubans have such a rich and diverse culture that we have no need no to be assimilated into American mainstream. You have to understand that most Cuban-Americans are as proud of their Cuban heritage as of being Americans. We are comfortable living and participating in two cultures. At home and up to certain level, we are OK interacting and behaving in a “Cuban” way, but we can also switch gears quickly and behave like an “All American” citizen. And I believe that’s what makes Cubans so successful. That we can adapt to our surroundings without having the need of giving up our culture. We don’t force our language. Miami is a multicultural city and as such it is dominated by more than English. You should be glad that you live in such a diverse environment. If we wave our Cuban flag, is because we are proud of our heritage.

You stated that many Cubans say they would go back to Cuba once is free. I doubt that. First of all, free of what? Communism? That won’t happen any time soon. Even if the Castro brothers died today, nothing will change in Cuba. The Cubans that say they would return are the older generation. Those people are already mainly retired. Do you think they would want to return to Cuba to start all over again? No. The younger generations like me, yes, we will return to Cuba, but as tourist and entrepreneurs, to make a buck (Isn’t that the American way?) but would not stay around to live there. We are not here “taking American jobs”. We are here as a hard working class of citizens that are making a contribution to this country like your immigrant forefathers did too. Should I try to repeat that old saying that goes “Miami was a swamp before the Cubans arrive”…

Now let me ask you a question. How many Cuban flags did you see in the amnesty protests last year? Did you hear or see any Cubans protesting for illegal immigrants rights and fast path to citizenship? I think not. Why? Because most of us arrive in the USA the hard way, paying lots of money to get a LEGAL visa, sometimes living in a third country to be able to make it to the USA faster, but still the legal way. And if you would bother to talk to some Cubans, you would understand that we are against illegal immigrants as much as Middle America is.

Finally, I do agree that some of the Cubans arriving today are scumbags. But unfortunately our immigration laws are not perfect. Just look at the 20M illegal Mexicans living in this country. They send back to Mexico most of the money they make, instead of expending it here and helping our economy. That’s a bigger problem than the Cuban scumbags that don’t know how to drive….
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration