U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 05:32 AM

2,257 posts, read 1,721,588 times

Advertisements

More proof that the "wet foot, dry foot" policy needs to end....

From the pro-Cuban Miami Herald, so ignore the reference to the Casrto brothers at the end (this is about criminals, not Cuba's ridiculous ailing regime):

Medicare crooks like Cuba -- why? - Myriam Marquez - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/1299/story/890482.html - broken link)

Medicare crooks like Cuba -- why?

BY MYRIAM MARQUEZ

What would make Darvis Lázaro Leal think he could get back to Miami after skipping out to Cuba while under investigation for healthcare fraud?

Leal, 30, returned last week from Cuba via Costa Rica. He was immediately arrested at Miami International Airport on a warrant issued last year on an indictment under seal on charges of operating a pharmacy in 2006 that filed $425,000 in false Medicare claims for medical supplies that were never prescribed by doctors or used by patients.

What would make Jorge Ramirez, a former owner of a Miami clinic that treated blood disorders and was charged with defrauding Medicare of -- gulp -- $42.2 million, think he could get back here after taking off for Cuba?

$420 MILLION FRAUD

Ramirez, 41, was allegedly working with others the FBI believes are back in Cuba after defrauding -- big gulp -- $420 million from Medicare. The phony claims involved 85 medical equipment companies that never provided a wheelchair, a respirator or any other life-saving equipment to a single patient. Ramirez was arrested at the airport on Dec. 12 and his case is pending. His two co-defendants are -- where else? -- in Cuba.

As Miami Herald reporter Jay Weaver's Medicare Racket series exposed last year, at least half of South Florida's Medicare fugitives are believed to be back in Cuba. There are at least 60 Cuban scam artists believed to have collectively bilked more than a billion dollars from taxpayers through medical businesses that helped no one. They took off to Cuba when the government started to put 2 and 2 million together.

That it took so long to figure out that clinics weren't treating patients and equipment companies weren't selling equipment is another example of the federal bureaucratic maze that strangles us with skyrocketing insurance fees and Medicare costs. Without targeting sufficient federal money to investigate medical companies and healthcare providers at the front end, we end up chasing after fat-cat crooks once they've cashed in their government checks.

It's lunacy.

The most notorious are the Benitez brothers -- Carlos, Luis and Jose -- who are accused of filing $119 million in false claims for HIV infusion therapy, a treatment that's questionable at best and no longer standard practice. They were living the good life in the Dominican Republic -- all on the backs of taxpayers who actually work and pay our taxes.

When the feds went after them in Santo Domingo, they ran off

to -- conga drums, please --

Cuba.

A CLOSED SOCIETY

So what would make these folks -- most of them who arrived in the 1990s -- think they can break the law and then fly back like tourists?

It's a question that nags because Cuba is a closed society. Leaving it, legally at least, isn't easy. Ask any poor rafter who made it out alive. There are thousands in Cuba who have U.S. visas, but the Cuban regime has yet to issue exit papers.

Leal allegedly got $260,918 in Medicare payments. That's a lot of money to spend in Cuba, where the average salary is $20 a month. He supposedly was a clothing salesman, selling goods to and from Cuba and Costa Rica. Uh-huh.

Sure, call it just another exile conspiracy theory. But after 50 years of Castro rule, after dozens of American felons and murderers have been welcomed with open arms in Havana, it's not far-fetched that Medicare scammers would

be living the high life in Cuba with a nod from the Castro brothers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 09:59 AM

1,087 posts, read 2,341,049 times
So what is your point? It seems like you are generalizing about Cubans and the US-Cuba immigration laws. Not all Cubans that arrive in Miami's shores are crooks. I can point out a thousand Medicare frauds that are carry out by people of anglo descent that were born in this country. I can also point out the huge number of US borned minorities (and I am not talking about Hispanics) that have many kids and then apply for Medicaid and Welfare to support their careless breeding habits. In my opinion, that is also Medicaid/Medicare fraud.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:45 AM

2,088 posts, read 2,186,043 times
Why do people always use the pointless argument "why do you generalize X race, there are lots of white people who do it too!"

This thread is strictly about ILLEGAL CUBANS who commit fraud and not about Americans who are white/asian/black/indian.

If you have evidence of crimes due to illegal caucasians, then start your own thread.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
Why do people always use the pointless argument "why do you generalize X race, there are lots of white people who do it too!"

This thread is strictly about ILLEGAL CUBANS who commit fraud and not about Americans who are white/asian/black/indian.

If you have evidence of crimes due to illegal caucasians, then start your own thread.
^^

What he said!

Seriously CLT, what's my point? Cuban Medicare fraud is a BIG problem and if it were a bunch of 'Anglos', they'd be tried and punished and they wouldn't be able to escape back to Cuba like cowardly little rats.

Why do I generalize about Cubans, specifically Miami Cubans? Try living in Miami for a few months, then get back to me....needless to say that my experiences with Miami Cubans have not been good, overall.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
^^

What he said!

Seriously CLT, what's my point? Cuban Medicare fraud is a BIG problem and if it were a bunch of 'Anglos', they'd be tried and punished and they wouldn't be able to escape back to Cuba like cowardly little rats.

Why do I generalize about Cubans, specifically Miami Cubans? Try living in Miami for a few months, then get back to me....needless to say that my experiences with Miami Cubans have not been good, overall.
Obviously you don't know what you are referring to. I am Cuban, and I lived in Miami (Coral Gables) far too many years to understand how my fellow Cubans are. So you know, not all Cubans are the same. There has been several waves of Cuban migrations to the USA, and on each case, the level of decency and education has been different. Not all Cubans were created equally. Get your facts straight before jumping to conclusions and basing your story on a sole source.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post

^^

What he said!

Why do I generalize about Cubans, specifically Miami Cubans? Try living in Miami for a few months, then. get back to me....needless to say that my experiences with Miami Cubans have not been good, overall.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
Obviously you don't know what you are referring to. I am Cuban, and I lived in Miami (Coral Gables) far too many years to understand how my fellow Cubans are. So you know, not all Cubans are the same. There has been several waves of Cuban migrations to the USA, and on each case, the level of decency and education has been different. Not all Cubans were created equally. Get your facts straight before jumping to conclusions and basing your story on a sole source.
Coral Gables = overrated. Supposed to be Miami's "cultural hub", but consists of fake juice bars, crooked law firms and shady doctors.

Coral Gables is also a small part of the Cuban population. Try the loud-ass Cubans in places like Hialeah, Westchester, Kendall and Sweetwater who aren't exactly the nicest of people.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
Coral Gables = overrated. Supposed to be Miami's "cultural hub", but consists of fake juice bars, crooked law firms and shady doctors.

Coral Gables is also a small part of the Cuban population. Try the loud-ass Cubans in places like Hialeah, Westchester, Kendall and Sweetwater who aren't exactly the nicest of people.
Finally we agree on something. Yes, the Hispanic population (not only Cubans) in Hialeah, Kendall and Sweetwater are not the nicest of people, and they are very loud too. See, those Cubans are from a different generation and later wave of arrivals. Oh well.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Finally we agree on something. Yes, the Hispanic population (not only Cubans) in Hialeah, Kendall and Sweetwater are not the nicest of people, and they are very loud too. See, those Cubans are from a different generation and later wave of arrivals. Oh well.
We might actually agree on that....the first waves of Cuban immigrants were genuine asylum seekers and probably aren't at fault. I do have a problem with the more recent waves of Cuban immigrants though and I feel that it's time to end "wet foot, dry foot".

Old 02-06-2009, 03:37 PM

2,075 posts, read 1,773,289 times
Quote:
So what is your point? It seems like you are generalizing about Cubans and the US-Cuba immigration laws. Not all Cubans that arrive in Miami's shores are crooks. I can point out a thousand Medicare frauds that are carry out by people of anglo descent that were born in this country. I can also point out the huge number of US borned minorities (and I am not talking about Hispanics) that have many kids and then apply for Medicaid and Welfare to support their careless breeding habits. In my opinion, that is also Medicaid/Medicare fraud.
Think he made his point just fine. Maybe your reading comprehension skills are faultering a bit. Your defence for these people is the old " So gee whiz, those other guy's done it too" routine. Thats a "straw man" argument if I ever heard one. The "wet foot, dry foot" law encourages every criminal in cuba to try & get here. Personally, I think the law should be changed (it's not fair|) but this is not the fourm for that. Don't belive the op said any thing about Hispanics either. Thought the topic was " Cubans and medicare/ medicade fruad". Just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration