Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 06:43 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Yes in the North of Mexico there are areas where it can get rough. Conversely I would a million times prefer to live in Guadalajara along with the 1.1 million other Americans there now than in many areas of the U.S.
Yes there's a large community of Americans in Jalisco. If you ever decide to make the move, just be sure you go in with a good attitude, and don't tell the locals you're "Doin' the Work the Meskins won't Do"...and that they'll "just have to DEAL with it"....No matter how pure your motives, that attitude could cause hard feelings...Your behavior will carry great weight.. Vaya con Dios, Bily Cuatro!!
(just kidding--I know you've lived there previously ...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 08:35 PM

354 posts, read 324,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Yes there's a large community of Americans in Jalisco. If you ever decide to make the move, just be sure you go in with a good attitude, and don't tell the locals you're "Doin' the Work the Meskins won't Do"...and that they'll "just have to DEAL with it"....No matter how pure your motives, that attitude could cause hard feelings...Your behavior will carry great weight.. Vaya con Dios, Bily Cuatro!!
(just kidding--I know you've lived there previously ...)

I love visiting Mexico and have some very good friends that live there. But hey, I just had to remark about you saying that Americans should not say or act like the Mexicans that come up here illegally act and talk trash. Respect happens to be a two way street. I have never had any problem at all ever in M exico, but then I do not hang around the idiot border towns and tourist traps.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:34 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOHIllbillyWoman View Post
I love visiting Mexico and have some very good friends that live there. But hey, I just had to remark about you saying that Americans should not say or act like the Mexicans that come up here illegally act and talk trash. Respect happens to be a two way street. I have never had any problem at all ever in M exico, but then I do not hang around the idiot border towns and tourist traps.
Funny you mention that - I have several Mexican friends that live in border towns that tell me the Americans are getting a terrible reputaiton in Mexico because all the Americans are going down there to get drunk and have sex with women, many of them underage. The American girls take off their tops and act like little sluts, and the Mexicans are watching laughing at them. Respect is indeed a 2 way street.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:33 PM

180 posts, read 122,073 times
Quote:
Hardly the sentiments of a racist or a bigot, only a humorous observation of an incontrovertible fact of life....you're better off over here than over there, Hispanic or not....
It's sad but true. That entire zone is better off being part of the U.S. than it would have been had it continued to be Mexico; the same way Alaska is better off being part of the U.S. than being part of Russia.

Old 07-27-2007, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicanGuy View Post
It's sad but true. That entire zone is better off being part of the U.S. than it would have been had it continued to be Mexico; the same way Alaska is better off being part of the U.S. than being part of Russia.
WATCH YOURSELF, MexicanGuy---you could start sounding "subversive"...
Historical Trivia---You may know this, M.Guy, but just after the US Civil War, a large group of loosely-organized war veterans crossed into Mexican territory in present-day Arizona (which was then still a territory)--Their objective (fueled by much alcohol, boasting, and bravado, no doubt), was to conquer the State of Sonora, gain control over it, and then "sell" it to the US, making a handsome profit for themselves, of course.
They made their way south, even getting occasional help along the way from disgruntled locals, eventually making it all the way to the capital at Hermosillo. At that point they were surrounded by Mexican Federal troops, captured, and their leaders excecuted. The rest fled into the countryside, some making it back to the US, and others staying behind in the "local economy"...I do not remember the guy's name. The incident probably is emphasized more in Mexican history classes than in ours over here. Needless to say, it made the Mexican government even MORE distrustful of gringo intentions...

Old 07-27-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
WATCH YOURSELF, MexicanGuy---you could start sounding "subversive"...

Historical Trivia---You may know this, M.Guy, but just after the US Civil War, a large group of loosely-organized war veterans crossed into Mexican territory in present-day Arizona (which was then still a territory)--Their objective (fueled by much alcohol, boasting, and bravado, no doubt), was to conquer the State of Sonora, gain control over it, and then "sell" it to the US, making a handsome profit for themselves, of course.
They made their way south, even getting occasional help along the way from disgruntled locals, eventually making it all the way to the capital at Hermosillo. At that point they were surrounded by Mexican Federal troops, captured, and their leaders excecuted. The rest fled into the countryside, some making it back to the US, and others staying behind in the "local economy"...I do not remember the guy's name. The incident probably is emphasized more in Mexican history classes than in ours over here. Needless to say, it made the Mexican government even MORE distrustful of gringo intentions...
LOL … Well, no point in denying it That’s water under the bridge though, and I believe that Mexico can do better in the future; so, I’m glad those gringos’ crazy mission wasn’t successful

By the way, I didn’t know about that.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:57 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzou View Post
No it's just you. lol. It seems like no one wants Bush around them anymore.

It's getting annoying, I'm really getting tired of seeing all the hate against Americans. Americans can't dislike anyone, but boy oh boy, everyone else is entitled to dislike Americans, because if an American says anything bad, HOLY CRAP! YOU RACIST! Well gosh, isn't killing Americans because you hate our way of life racist? Or just because you hate Americans in general? Or what is it? What am I missing here? I say forget Mexico disconnect the United States from Mexico by taking out the land that connects us. And that of Canada as well just to make it fair. Make it 9 continents and "Central America" can be its own continent as well as Canadia.
I totally agree with you, and frankly I'm shocked, Bush or no Bush, we over here don't even treat him like that...I am shocked....
If they hate us so much, then why are they coming here and why are so many of ours defending them...

I just don't understand people, I never will....how shocking...

yanno, another thing, if they hate us so much, then are they really going to have an uprising against us...I've heard reports that they want to take back Calif. and Texas...my brother in law says, let them mess with Texas, cuz Texans won't put up with it...but this is all so sad...and it is a worry
thanks for posting this

Old 07-27-2007, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I totally agree with you, and frankly I'm shocked, Bush or no Bush, we over here don't even treat him like that...I am shocked....
If they hate us so much, then why are they coming here and why are so many of ours defending them...

I just don't understand people, I never will....how shocking...

yanno, another thing, if they hate us so much, then are they really going to have an uprising against us...I've heard reports that they want to take back Calif. and Texas...my brother in law says, let them mess with Texas, cuz Texans won't put up with it...but this is all so sad...and it is a worry
thanks for posting this
I think that there are two principal reasons that can explain the hatred that many around the world harbor towards Americans: the first is that many people envy America; and the second is that, throughout its history, America has wronged many nations.

The first reason is completely out of line, and there’s not much that can be done about it—except not to keep fueling it by being arrogant and condescending with people of other nations, as many Americans tend to be. As for the second reason, well, it’s evident that to turn that around America would need to stop trampling on other nations to reach its objectives; however, and in all fairness, it should be emphasized that many times America has also done genuine good for other countries, but there seems to be less and less of that lately.

Old 07-27-2007, 07:55 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
I think that there are two principal reasons that can explain the hatred that many around the world harbor towards Americans: the first is that many people envy America; and the second is that, throughout its history, America has wronged many nations.

The first reason is completely out of line, and there’s not much that can be done about it—except not to keep fueling it by being arrogant and condescending with people of other nations, as many Americans tend to be. As for the second reason, well, it’s evident that to turn that around America would need to stop trampling on other nations to reach its objectives; however, and in all fairness, it should be emphasized that many times America has also done genuine good for other countries, but there seems to be less and less of that lately.
yes you are right on both accounts but allow me to offer another senerio.

I've worked all my life very hard, since I was 13 years old. I never expected any hand outs, I did what I had to do, to raise my son single, even if that meant working 2 and 3 jobs. I paid my taxes and still do...I learned the language, I wanted to be liked and in the same, wanted to respect the laws. I didn't expect anything I didn't work for...and that included medical care. When I was little, my mom was in the hospital 3 times in one year...guess what, she paid every red cent off, she worked two jobs and raised me single. Point being...after a while, money is taken out of our pockets to provide for illegal immigrants that aren't doing anything to fit in. They aren't even feeling guilty, which I can't for the life of me understand? They feel they deserve this...and here I am...worked hard, darn hard, I'm a woman, and at one point in my life, I built roads, laid blacktop, pipe, jack hammered, and luted blacktop...tested concrete, I put down stone grated it...and was the only woman in my union at the time. I jackhammered, tamped...that equipment was darn heavy....and I was 5'8' 120 lbs. so that equipment was very heavy....but I did it, cause the money was there...good money...and the fellas treated me with much respect b/c I didn't expect them to carry me or lift the jackhammer that I was using all day, on the truck at the end of the day.

I later went into the office and became an office manger...get my point?
I worked hard and didn't expect anyone to carry me...and at the end of the day...we all came out even...we accomplished a job as a team....

Its not the nationality, the culture, it's the downright boldness and non caring way, illegals think, they should get everything for nothin. Now, another thing...as you very well know, they own 2 and 3 surnames, so guess what, they also have learned to abuse the system an have 2 and 3 social security cards...therefore, cheating the system...and to top it off, as you well know, they don't pay taxes, they get to vote???? What is that?

Now, b/c they can't speak english...everything must be printed in Spanish, road signs right down to how to put together your brand new blender.
They can't read, so they can't obtain a legal license, nor purchase car insurance, cus they can't take the test. But...a police officer may not ask if they are illegal??????????????????????????????????????????

Now, talk about a strain on our systems....our teaches now must speak both english and spanish and maybe even russian in the class rooms...therefore, they're paying more b/c now those languages are manditory for their jobs.

My girlfriends little girl was overwhelmed b/c she came home crying saying she has to learn to count to 100 and speak spanish. Now, we're taking time out of a students ciriculum to teach another language when they could be learning about history or another important subject.

Now, our police officers are now required to take Spanish, more money, and our emergency responders...to boot, b/c illegals refuse to learn the language.
I'm going to tell you right up front, this all causes a bit of a chip on the American's shoulder, b/c he didn't get those breaks...sounds maybe kindergarden, but it's not fair....what you've done is created a monster, meaning....hate..resentment...unfair privilages for people who aren't humble enough to feel guilty about being here...so, yanno, yes, we're wrong for not enforcing the law...first and foremost
but...on the other hand, to abuse a system is just as wrong. Go in any other country and do the same and see what happens.

Does that make sense?

Old 07-27-2007, 08:28 PM

Quote:
I think that there are two principal reasons that can explain the hatred that many around the world harbor
—except not to keep fueling it by being arrogant and condescending with people of other nations, as many Americans tend to be. As for the second reason, well, it’s evident that to there seems to be less and less of that lately.
Interesting observations---and the "arrogant and condescending" part particularly hits a nerve. Anyone has only to look at some of our most cherished old classic movies to be brought face-to-face with the plain fact that "we" (and our vicarious movie heroes) certainly had a relationship with "the natives" that ranged from an amused sense of their childishness, to the fear that they'd suddenly erupt in a furious "blood bath"('the natives are restless')--and only the clever, resourceful Yank, by using all his wits, could "put them in their place", or at least, "satisfy their leaders", and bring the danger to an end. Whether it was the Indians in the west, lusting after "firewater" and scalps; the corrupt, vain, and inefficient military dictators of Latin America (who only paused in their depredations long enough for a "fiesta")--to the un-named "ooga-booga" cannibals of some vaguely-understood tropical island, preparing to dine on a meal of unfortunate shipwrecked sailors (who finally got out of it by using their "wits"), these images traveled all over the world, and like it or not, they continue to "haunt" us to this day---Intentional or not, it reflects a deep insensitivity whose time has now passed, and these images will be a long time in the minds of many people around the world.
As far as America "stepping" on people, this too is mostly a matter of simply not taking other nations into account- It's not that we DISLIKED them, as much as the fact that their feelings simply didn't count. Sooner or later, they'd THANK us for what we did, just like misbehaving children might.
Like it or not, this was a large part in our behavior in the past. I STILL say our ability to now feel "guilty" about it does speak well of us-and that that guilt will not always be reciprocated from others who may have shared in the blame. Nevertheless, anyone who is aware of how "spring-breakers" can act when away from home, or US Navy sailors sometimes behave on "liberty", realizes that our position in the world's spotlight does carry many burdens.
In closing, I'd say the situation is exacerbated by the present White House; for one reason or another, this group just seems unable to do much of ANYTHING, right or wrong, without ANNOYING just about everyone, at home or abroad. Even the Decider himself seems to recognize that his personality could be a factor in his ratings. Combine this with the air of secrecy and arrogance, and it's little wonder that our image is "on the skids" just now.....Hopefully, things will improve...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration