U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 10:29 PM

180 posts, read 89,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOHIllbillyWoman View Post
True but what do we do about the arrogant and condescending Mexicans and other illegals that keep coming here, all without permission?
I have a hard time believing that they’re arrogant or condescending towards Americans; maybe insolent, rude or hostile, but arrogant and condescending?

Quote:
Whether you like it or not, America has done more good than harm to most nations, especially Mexico. Our country has done harm, but then so has Mexico and most other countries. There is no one without blame in this argument but I tire of you Mexicans always talking about our arrogance, when in fact, you as a people are much more arrogant than the majority of the American people.
Yes, I believe the United States has done more good than harm throughout its history, and I also believe that the United States has a bigger responsibility towards the rest of the world than any other country, and not just because it’s an economic superpower; I believe that the American people’s general sense of justice and humanity is above average, especially among superpowers—past and present—which is why, personally, I expect more from Americans than from any other people. America needs to be more than an economic and innovative leader; it needs to be a humanitarian leader in the world. Just my two cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2007, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
However, you didn't address my "societal guilt" angle--I still think this is a potent force in gringo culture, which enables a sort of self-critical examination of "our" motives that's quite rare in the world. This forum is a good example--lots and lots of "gringo guilt" is floating around here, whatever else you can say.
I don't believe there's a similar guilt in most other cultures, regardless of their sordid pasts (or even their sordid PRESENT)--as an example, several Mexican authors have written along the themes of "We Mexicans are our own worst enemies," and otherwise criticizing their own culture. However, this is essentially a criticism of how Mexicans treat each other---very little, if anything, is said about how Mexicans treat foreigners. This holds true in the majority of the world's cultures.
I think the “self guilt” angle is right on, MacMeal. Being self-critical is the only way to change.

Old 07-28-2007, 10:36 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,617,384 times
Default Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicanGuy View Post
I think the “self guilt” angle is right on, MacMeal. Being self-critical is the only way to change.
Don't go overboard, though--as a very wise man once said, "Suicide is the sincerest form of Self-Criticism"....all things in moderation,

Old 07-28-2007, 10:36 PM

Quote:
I am just sick and tired of Mexicans telling any American how it would behoov e them to speak Spanish, when we know it would, but at the same time refuse to assimilate into our culture instead of expecting and DEMANDING that we assimilate into their culture.
Well, of course it’s wrong for them to have an attitude of “We won’t learn English; you learn Spanish.”

Old 07-30-2007, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Don't go overboard, though--as a very wise man once said, "Suicide is the sincerest form of Self-Criticism"....all things in moderation,
LOL, I'll keep that in mind

Old 08-25-2007, 07:01 PM

2,448 posts, read 1,854,102 times
I sure dont know why Mexican people hate or protest against Bush.
I do know that is something more Americans should be doing.

Old 08-25-2007, 07:53 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,223,766 times
I don't think anyone should "hate" our president. To do so is disrespectful. It's one thing to dislike or disagree with the commander and chief but to hate? Has this world lost all class?

Old 08-26-2007, 12:05 AM

12,620 posts, read 17,692,687 times
Quote:
I totally agree but then we would have all of theose monolingual Mexicans that refuse to learn English. And YES, there are certainly a number of them that aboslutely refuse to learn our language. I can speak Spanish and one other languyage, other than English that is, fluently. I am just sick and tired of Mexicans telling any American how it would behoov e them to speak Spanish, when we know it would, but at the same time refuse to assimilate into our culture instead of expecting and DEMANDING that we assimilate into their culture.
In Germany and other border countries they all learn their language and then English! so when they go to another country they will be able to speak the language so to speak because everyone speaks English! Hum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or