U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 03:11 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,068,069 times

Advertisements

so this article is about one guy, who was fired from the BP. he alleges quaots were enforced and who ever didnt meet the quotas was assigned inconvenient hours. while the argument can be made that hes a disgruntled former employee, another investigation of these alleged quotas (which came out before he went public) found that most of the agents (in the IE) had complained about these quotas, which are being referred to as "goals" by the supes and captains and such.

Fired Border Patrol agent alleges quota pressure in Inland Empire - Los Angeles Times

its sort of fishy. doing stuff like this only leaves them open to lawsuits and investigations. they are supposed to be the law. they should set the standards.

i hope no formerly deported folk are brought back as expert witnesses. this might even cause a review of all the deportations processed by these agents.

waste of money, waste of time. just do it the right way the first time around. lets avoid the investigations, proceedings, litigation, pay outs, etc.

this is a big L for the main heads of the BP in riverside...

i hope it turns out they didnt do anything wrong, or at least too much wrong stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 03:47 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,033,451 times
Quotas in law enforcement are nothing new. I believe cops have a certain number of speeders to get every month? Or at least they used to. Also, in the article the fired bp agent talked about getting criminal illegals vs nonviolent illegals and how he would much rather focus on the former. Well, cops would much rather be going after serial killers, arsonists and bank robbers as well, but to 'pay the bills' so to speak they also go after potheads, crackwhores and drunk drivers. Not to mention people who skipped bail, speeders and of course supervising a spouse moving out of the domicile. And yes, I have been known to watch COPS a time or two
My point is this.......the police or in this case border patrols sworn duty is to uphold the law. Big lawbreakers and small. Do I feel sorry for the old guy getting picked up outside of a hospital? Yes, of course I do. But this is not one guy, this is millions of guys and if deportation is the logical end to the crime of being in a foreign country illegally then it must start somewhere. Or a lot of somewheres. As I told my brother, don't cry about the harsh penalty of a crime you committed. You took your chances and certainly weren't complaining when you were getting away with it --- don't start complaining when you get caught.
Oh - which reminds me.......they talked about profiling or going to Home Depot looking for day laborers. Hey, how do you think they take down drug dealers? Police go to where they know there is a lot of drug activity, and when they see a guy hanging on a street corner (in his car, whatever) they know they have a dealer. Is that social profiling? Not any moreso then guys hanging out in front of Home Depot.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:48 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,709,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
so this article is about one guy, who was fired from the BP. he alleges quaots were enforced and who ever didnt meet the quotas was assigned inconvenient hours. while the argument can be made that hes a disgruntled former employee, another investigation of these alleged quotas (which came out before he went public) found that most of the agents (in the IE) had complained about these quotas, which are being referred to as "goals" by the supes and captains and such.

Fired Border Patrol agent alleges quota pressure in Inland Empire - Los Angeles Times

its sort of fishy. doing stuff like this only leaves them open to lawsuits and investigations. they are supposed to be the law. they should set the standards.

i hope no formerly deported folk are brought back as expert witnesses. this might even cause a review of all the deportations processed by these agents.

waste of money, waste of time. just do it the right way the first time around. lets avoid the investigations, proceedings, litigation, pay outs, etc.

this is a big L for the main heads of the BP in riverside...

i hope it turns out they didnt do anything wrong, or at least too much wrong stuff.
Where I live the police are expected to write a certain number of speeding tickets each month. This involves simply catching people who are breaking the law by speeding and giving them a ticket.
If BP agents are expected to deport X number of illegals each month, what is the issue? There is no shortage of illegals to be deported, just as there is no shortage of speeders to ticket. In both cases, all they are doing is enforcing the law. Just as a police officer who never gives anyone a ticket may be allowing too many speeders in his patrol area (thus endangering the public), a BP agent who never has anyone deported may be allowing illegals to pass too freely through the area he is to guard (endangering the US taxpayer). I have no idea why you see this as a problem.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:10 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Yep, quotas are standard operating procedure for most law enforcement agencies. Think of it as their measuring stick for goal attainment. Sales departments have revenue goals; law enforcement has quotas.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:11 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
The way I see it what ever works. In fact I am all for having a bonus for every illegal caught and deported.. Say $100.00 per...

Old 02-06-2009, 06:37 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,068,069 times
yes quotas are old news, the LAPD and most depts have special names for them. its funny and not new.

i suppose my objection comes because they say they are going after the worst of the worst. and we give money hoping they catch the rapist, gangmember, murderer, DUI etc, but instead they snatch up these old people, invalid individuals and people who are otherwise doing nothing but riding a bike with out a helmet.

i really think the best way to meet their quotas would be exit interviews at jails. the money should be spent on those super criminals. they dont even need to go loking for them. wait for them as they leave jail (could have kept j shaw alive)

stick to catching those really bad guys. thats what i want. i want them to catch all the scum. those already convicetd of violent crimes. it seems like a waste of time to go after okey dokey folk.

i also think this would lead to more of the "you fit the description" occurences.
its a hassle. growing up in the hood you get used to it. but its still a hassle being questioned just for "fitting the description" or looking like the way you do.

most of you can sit behind your computers and not have to see the effects of these policies, and before yall start with the, "blame the marching illegals", lets realize that racial or ethnic profiling has existed long before that.

it just seems like a waste of resources going after otherwise law abiding individuals when so many illegal thugs are allegedly running around.

maybe the BP just wants to make it look like their doing their job. which they are. grabbing up illegals. but its not the job they told us they were going to do.

what most of you fail to realize is that my black and brown communities are ALL for going after the thugs. we welcome that. we are ok with that. but then they start doing stuff like this. they start harrasing bystanders... thats a problem.

and lucky for all yall. you dont see that. you dont live that.

we do

live
from
florence
and
graham

heres hoping the BP fullfills its quotas at the jails.

they really need to find ways to maximize their resources.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:36 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
yes quotas are old news, the LAPD and most depts have special names for them. its funny and not new.

i suppose my objection comes because they say they are going after the worst of the worst. and we give money hoping they catch the rapist, gangmember, murderer, DUI etc, but instead they snatch up these old people, invalid individuals and people who are otherwise doing nothing but riding a bike with out a helmet.

i really think the best way to meet their quotas would be exit interviews at jails. the money should be spent on those super criminals. they dont even need to go loking for them. wait for them as they leave jail (could have kept j shaw alive)

stick to catching those really bad guys. thats what i want. i want them to catch all the scum. those already convicetd of violent crimes. it seems like a waste of time to go after okey dokey folk.

i also think this would lead to more of the "you fit the description" occurences.
its a hassle. growing up in the hood you get used to it. but its still a hassle being questioned just for "fitting the description" or looking like the way you do.

most of you can sit behind your computers and not have to see the effects of these policies, and before yall start with the, "blame the marching illegals", lets realize that racial or ethnic profiling has existed long before that.

it just seems like a waste of resources going after otherwise law abiding individuals when so many illegal thugs are allegedly running around.

maybe the BP just wants to make it look like their doing their job. which they are. grabbing up illegals. but its not the job they told us they were going to do.

what most of you fail to realize is that my black and brown communities are ALL for going after the thugs. we welcome that. we are ok with that. but then they start doing stuff like this. they start harrasing bystanders... thats a problem.

we do

live
from
florence
and
graham

Those “otherwise” law-abiding folks are in fact illegally residing in this country. Thus, they are all fair game. Yes, I would love to see ALL of the gangbangers, rapists, murderers, and other violent illegals apprehended and deported – NEVER to return; but they can’t start “profiling” for good and bad illegals. Otherwise, some segments of the illegal alien population would be decriminalized. Those deemed nonviolent would be left alone and permitted to stay, while others would be arrested. I’m sure you aren’t suggesting that, are you?

Furthermore, how would they determine the so-called good illegals from the hardcore bad guys? Exit interviews are unnecessary, because all illegal aliens should be deported upon release from prison.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:17 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,033,451 times
Quote:

we do

live
from
florence
and
graham

Well, you certainly bring up a good point about those leaving jail.....that would be a great place for them to begin.
And I do feel for you for being hassled based on your ethnicity. It would suck, there is no other way to say it. I wish I could think of a way for the bp to do its job without 'asssuming' .

As it stands now, the bp is in a lose/lose situation. By deporting otherwise law abiding people they are getting a bad reputation for hassling people, but back when they didnot make hardly any arrests it was almost as if the US government was condoning if not encouraging illegal immigration.
I guess that in a perfect world, it would be great if they could start with the hardened criminals.......but eventually they would have to get to the grandmother around the corner. Breaking international law is not jaywalking......and immigration law while not perfect is the law and it must be upheld. There really is no way around that.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:30 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
The One:
I feel for what you put up with. It would jerk my chain too. I however would be royally pissed at what caused it. All those illegals.
I agree with you waiting out side the prison for them would be an excellent strategy. You should join that task force and get yourself some satisfaction. Satisfaction for all the times you were singled out because some folks don't feel a need to obey the law.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:37 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Quote:

we do

live
from
florence
and
graham

BP =Border Patrol

What exactly do you think it means? I think it means if you see someone that might be here Illegally you talk to them. If they cannot prove citizenship ....... C YA

If you hang out in the Home Depot parking lot or on the side of the liquor store you should probably carry ID. Only Illegal Aliens don't. That makes them fair game. BOO HOO

Personally, I think any money distributed by social services should be handed out at an office in person staffed with a border patrol agent.

The irony is that most BP are Americans that are Hispanic. TOUCHE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration