Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 11:33 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,408,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Please enlighten us about the unity "your people" achieved during the civil rights era.
That makes two of us who would love to be enlightened. When I was hosed down in the streets of Chicago by the CFD, there was not a single mexican or hispanic, illegal or otherwise in the crowd of marchers. There were plenty of white Americans demanding civil rights for our people who gathered around to make sure that me and my grandma were okay though.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:16 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,286,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Please enlighten us about the unity "your people" achieved during the civil rights era.
You roll your eyes and everything? Your attitude is part of the reason theres so much tension between Chicanos and Blacks community-wise.
So arrogant, self-centered, and think everything is about Blacks in this countries past struggle for civil rights. Don't look(?) like an idiot and read, and study more about the issue. The civil rights movement wasn't a Black-White thing.

I bet you don't even know how Mendez v. Westminster predated Brown v. Board of Education by like 8 years.

While you're at it, read about Hernadez v. Texas.

You sound just like the racists of the 50s, smirking at "your people".
Ignorant as hell.

You're not from California, or the Southwest, and you need to learn about more than your small part of the country.
And also LEARN that Chicanos/Latinos didn't just arrive in this country, and are not all illegal. You don't know sh__ about the Latino history in this country.

http://www.albany.edu/jmmh/vol3/chicano/chicano.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mendez_v._Westminster
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hernandez_v._Texas

Last edited by antialphabet; 02-22-2009 at 08:25 PM..

Old 02-22-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
That makes two of us who would love to be enlightened. When I was hosed down in the streets of Chicago by the CFD, there was not a single mexican or hispanic, illegal or otherwise in the crowd of marchers. There were plenty of white Americans demanding civil rights for our people who gathered around to make sure that me and my grandma were okay though.
Really impressed and all, but you too are clueless about the politics of the Southwest and West coast, which is where the Hispanic(Chicano) population was traditionally centered. Doesn't surprise me you're clueless about that. I bet you didn't know what a Mexican was until you found something to center your life around(bitching about illegal immigrants).
What I said about Benicar applies to you as well, along with a bunch of other stuff I can't type on here.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:24 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
You roll your eyes and everything? Your attitude is part of the reason theres so much tension between Chicanos and Blacks community-wise.
So arrogant, self-centered, and think everything is about Blacks in this countries past struggle for civil rights. Don't look(?) like an idiot and read, and study more about the issue. The civil rights movement wasn't a Black-White thing.

I bet you don't even know how Mendez v. Westminster predated Brown v. Board of Education by like 8 years.

While you're at it, read about Hernadez v. Texas.

You sound just like the racists of the 50s, smirking at "your people".
Ignorant as hell.

You're not from California, or the Southwest, and you need to learn about more than your small part of the country.
Guess what:

Here in Arizona; White Hispanics were not subjected to segregation yet 'brown' ones from the same family were at risk.

Too: back in the old Jim Crow South; some Anglo/White people had to go to the 'Colored' schools, etc. since there were not lily white.

As for additional racism: take a look at the Jews, Irish, Eastern Euros, etc. (almost always White); many of them had to deal with variations of Jim Crow as last as 1948.

Bottom line: it was not just a Black/Mestizo thing.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Guess what:

Here in Arizona; White Hispanics were not subjected to segregation yet 'brown' ones from the same family were at risk.

Too: back in the old Jim Crow South; some Anglo/White people had to go to the 'Colored' schools, etc. since there were not lily white.

As for additional racism: take a look at the Jews, Irish, Eastern Euros, etc. (almost always White); many of them had to deal with variations of Jim Crow as last as 1948.

Bottom line: it was not just a Black/Mestizo thing.
There you go trying to disenfranchise Latinos.
You'll try really hard to dismiss anything regarding Latinos, and then turn around and sympathize to Blacks being as patronizing as possible.
Make up your mind!

What's your agenda ArizonaBear?
You go out of your way trying to call Latinos racist, white supremacist, downplay any struggle they've had in this country, and at the same time, depict whites as being in a struggle in this country.
Just bring your agenda out, all ready.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:59 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post

I proud of the term and the history behind it. I'm proud of the unity our people achieved during the civil rights era that has lasted until today.
The unity you think you achieved back then is actually embarrassing the HELL out of a lot of "your people"..take my word for it. People who worked long and hard for acceptance, learned to 'play by the rules', and worked themselves up from the bottom, LONG before you were born, now feel themselves having to grapple with the fallout of the "unity" you refer to. Unity with WHOM, exactly? (No, you don't have to answer that..I think we know).

Don't know if you realize it or not, but there are a LOT of 'your people' who REALLY WISH you'd stop 'unifying' them...seriously!! Thanks but no thanks, is the word I hear.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
The unity you think you achieved back then is actually embarrassing the HELL out of a lot of "your people"..take my word for it. People who worked long and hard for acceptance, learned to 'play by the rules', and worked themselves up from the bottom, LONG before you were born, now feel themselves having to grapple with the fallout of the "unity" you refer to. Unity with WHOM, exactly? (No, you don't have to answer that..I think we know).

Don't know if you realize it or not, but there are a LOT of 'your people' who REALLY WISH you'd stop 'unifying' them...seriously!! Thanks but no thanks, is the word I hear.
What are you talking about?
There are people who don't like to be associated with Mexican-Americans. And I don't really care.
We do have unity, and we have community. You try to paint us with a broad brush. We can't be proud of who we are without being extremists.
You think you know because your wife is Latina(?), you know some Latinos, but I know a lot more. I know a lot about our community, from within the community.

We are a people. And you guys can attack that all you want, dismiss it, try to downplay it, whatever. Try to disenfranchise us as a voice, and as a part of this country.
It doesn't matter.

Keep trying to make us into a negative thing. Keep trying to take our identity away from us. If you think you're being successful, you're very very wrong.

You're looking through the glass of your own biased opinions. Looking at everything in the context of immigration, or similiar topics. You don't see the entire culture, and too full of your own opinions to realize everything outside of them.
You can't even refer to what I am talking about, without talking to me like I'm an illegal and or an extremist.

THIS is why I point out the anti-Hispanic feelings in this board. It's not just about illegals. You guys have no respect for anything Chicano/Latino in this country.
It BOTHERS you guys that we are happy with what we are. That we don't see who WE are, as YOU see who we are.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:13 PM

4 posts, read 16,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
No one has an issue with them. The ones who are not here legally need to leave and return to their home countries.
I don't understand all the hate that has escalated since the economy has taken a downfall. I guess we have to blame someone, and why blame ourselves? We can only blame countless individuals who DO take part in their communities. Many of these people have been here for several decades, living productive lives, PAYING WAGE TAXES (without a refund), and paying bills, raising their own families (Americans). After all this time and effort would you really say that "Josefina", a 75 yr old woman that has lived here since she was a child, is a criminal??? I do not agree!

Old 02-22-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post

"Take my word for it". What the hell does your word mean? Who are you? Do you even know what I mean by our unity?
From your previous posts, of course you would be against the time when we saw ourselves as a group that was a part of America, and began to become a part of this country. We made our voice in this country heard, and that bothers people like you who think the days before the minorities got a voice and found identity were the good days.
You always talk about how it's such a bad thing that these minority groups unite and speak for their interests. Do you really think this was a better country when all those groups were simply marginalized?

At first I assumed you were stuck on the Brown Berets, MeCha , and all that stuff I wasn't talking about.
But I forget that you are against minority ethnic groups(i.e. Latinos) having a distinct voice in this country at all.

You're talking about YOUR feelings on Chicanos/Latinos being united, and the few you've encountered who agree with YOUR views.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:27 PM

4 posts, read 16,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by navarroemily View Post
I don't understand all the hate that has escalated since the economy has taken a downfall. I guess we have to blame someone, and why blame ourselves? We can only blame countless individuals who DO take part in their communities. Many of these people have been here for several decades, living productive lives, PAYING WAGE TAXES (without a refund), and paying bills, raising their own families (Americans). After all this time and effort would you really say that "Josefina", a 75 yr old woman that has lived here since she was a child, is a criminal??? I do not agree!
I am the wife of a Mexican Immigrant, now in his 50's, who moved here with his unlces when he was just a teen. He is perfectly legal, but people treat him as if he has the plague! He is a very well rounded man, and knows more about the American government and politics than I could ever dream of knowing. I am proud to say that I am the mother of 2 American Mexicans. My 2 children have ehtnic names, both being named after their forefathers, and were raised with Mexican culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration